Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
kyrandian

Hi there!

i'm looking for a way to get past a couple games that ask me for a CD-ROM, most notably kyrandia 3 and discworld noir. Most of the games i have work without the CD but those 2 are tricky. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

erm, put the CD in. This site isn't about warez/cracks.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 11-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@May 11 2005, 10:01 AM
erm, put the CD in. This site isn't about warez/cracks.
i'm really sick of every online gaming community being so overly concerned with protecting huge corporations profit margins- usually a defunct one in the case of abandonware. Do you honestly believe the makes of zack macracken give a flying sh1t if i download their game in 2005 they havent made a dime off since 1994? Do you download mp3s? well you're just as much a pirate as me. People in the gaming community take it as such a badge of honor that they don't pirate as if the software companies would step in and pay your bills if you were in dire straits.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
i'm really sick of every online gaming community being so overly concerned with protecting huge corporations profit margins- usually a defunct one in the case of abandonware. Do you honestly believe the makes of zack macracken give a flying sh1t if i download their game in 2005 they havent made a dime off since 1994? Do you download mp3s? well you're just as much a pirate as me. People in the gaming community take it as such a badge of honor that they don't pirate as if the software companies would step in and pay your bills if you were in dire straits.
Badge of honor is just that - badge of honor. But the benefit of not pirating games is that that you cannot get arrested, fined and your all hardware / software confiscated. And this might happen if you have warez. Capito?

It has already been said that Abandonia is NOT about piracy.

If you were smart enough to post here, you are smart enough to find it by yourself, so stop breaking our rules and wasitng our time.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

btw, huge corporations are not alien invaders. People like you and me also work for them. The work there, getting bored there, but make games. Even managers have families to feed. Medicine to buy etc.
When we are talking about theft, then why would it matter if the victim is a company or a singe person? You are just as thief when you steal from them.
And to answer your question, I do not download mp3s. I buy all my music cds, yes ALL. No, I am not rich, I barely manage to pay the bills each month and I haven't bought a new cd or game for several months now. (out of work).
I still don't steal! Imagine that! I guess some of us had better upbringing than others.

If you think this community and forum is not the type you want, then I am sure you will be able to find others that would fit you better.

As the fifth horseman said, you are obviously not stupid, you can find it elsewhere.

OH, and I do not pirate/steal not because I am expecting anyone to give me anything for it. I guess that is the difference between you and others who do not steal.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 11-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Primary reason why I frequent Abandonia = I enjoy old games AND am too cheap to buy new ones if over $5. Usually this means that I have to wait till they are released as cover CD's for one game magazine or another.

But hey, there aint anything bad about waiting. I still have my oldies. :Brain:

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@May 11 2005, 11:16 AM

i'm really sick of every online gaming community being so overly concerned with protecting huge corporations profit margins- usually a defunct one in the case of abandonware.* Do you honestly believe the makes of zack macracken give a flying sh1t if i download their game in 2005 they havent made a dime off since 1994?
No, that's abandoned - this is an abandonware site. On the other hand, Kyrandia 3 and Discworld Noir aren't (the latter, at least, is available cheap on budget - that's where I got mine), and that's why we don't support them.

Quote:
Do you download mp3s?
Nope. All of mine are from CDs, almost all of which I own.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

Without going into the entire "warez/abandonwarez - good or bad?" convo here, I'd just like to say that the connection between piracy/warez and NO-CD cracks isn't quite as strong as might seem, and providing a NO-CD crack, in most cases, has nothing to do with promoting piracy.

Explanation:

In the age of CD burning, broadband internet and P2P file-sharing most warez are no longer shared as rips, but as fully-functional disc images. Most of which, when you burn them, provide you a pirated copy that will work without any no-CD cracks or patches (ven though there are exceptions, these are mostly for the new games, while games that are several years old will not distinguish an original CD from a pirated copy.

Hence, most of the time when a person wants a NO-CD crack, it's just to aviod the hassle of having to put the CD in. This has other advantages besides the issue of pure convenience - the less you fiddle around with the CD, the longer its lifespan is likely to be. Whether the CD is original or pirated has almost nothing to do with it, and you cannot assume apriori one or the other.

Heck, I own a very much legitimate copy of Descent II (as part of the "Definitive Collection". And yet I went through hell to find a NO-CD crack for it. In the end, after I couldn't find a crack for the DOS version, I found one for the Windows version, learned of the bytes it changes in the file and then reproduced the same changes for the DOS version. It was very fun actually when it worked.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 11-05-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This site doesn't supply cracks such as no CD key for reasons already stated in this thread..

If you want to continue this conversation then start a new thread elsewhere. This thread won't go any further.
Closed Thread