Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #3271
ianphillips2347
Forum hobbit

I've always really wanted to play this game and today, I decided to get buy it from GOG....I regret not getting it sooner.

It's an awesome game - I don't exactly have the best tactics (basically it involves rolling out the Rocket Tank to take down all the alien guys outside the ship and then sending in the 'marines' to do the clearing inside). It's not pretty but so far no fatalities for us.

I've found doing the ones in the cities a lot harder though (stupid side streets and alley ways too small for my tank!!! lol) but it's great fun going from building to building trying to find them while having civys running about.

Doing the alien autopsy's is really interesting too as you get the chance read a little about the buggers that nearly got you in the last battle (came across some floating disc things in the last one and they were pretty resilient - haven't completed the research on them yet so don't really know that much about them yet lol).

Thanks to research I've just managed to get my brave guys some funky personal armour and a medi-kit (yep, just the one...they have to share it among themselves....I like to think of the guy that starts with it as my 'medic'.......well, that's actually my excuse for being to tight to develop some more).

What a great classic. Really getting into it and cant wait to get some more research done.

Is there much variation in landscape, interiors, etc as the game progresses or does it stay pretty much as it is throughout?
ianphillips2347 is offline                         Send a private message to ianphillips2347
Old 17-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #3272
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianphillips2347 View Post
I've always really wanted to play this game and today, I decided to get buy it from GOG....I regret not getting it sooner.
UFO is an AWESOME game and an old time classic. The balance between strategic planning and tactical team based gameplay is just perfect. If you're enjoying this, you'll also love the successor - X-COM Terror from the Deep.

[quote=ianphillips2347;402900]It's an awesome game - I don't exactly have the best tactics (basically it involves rolling out the Rocket Tank to take down all the alien guys outside the ship and then sending in the 'marines' to do the clearing inside). It's not pretty but so far no fatalities for us.[/QUOTES]

Well, I could give you a couple of tips if you'd like but honestly the best part of the game is to find out all those little yet important things by yourself. What is crucial though is to pick your team carefully when you start the game (based on soldiers stats - hire & fire if necessary) & then try to keep them all alive as much as you can cause the more missions they go through and more aliens they kill their stats will go up dramaticaly. I mean by the time I went on the final mission I had three out of my initial chosen eight soldiers still with me and all of them had like ~190APs & 85+ Accurancy...

Quote:
I've found doing the ones in the cities a lot harder though (stupid side streets and alley ways too small for my tank!!! lol) but it's great fun going from building to building trying to find them while having civys running about.
Terror missions tend to be a bit more demanding then the regular crash sites. However for me alien bases were initialy the toughest. On the other hand, after a while I had nearly two months (in game time) of just alien bases with no crash sites or terror missions at all and this sort of helped me develop my tactical approach towards these.

Quote:
(...) Thanks to research I've just managed to get my brave guys some funky personal armour and a medi-kit (yep, just the one...they have to share it among themselves....I like to think of the guy that starts with it as my 'medic'.......well, that's actually my excuse for being to tight to develop some more).
I think having one medic per 3/4 troops is a good balance however people here will probably advise you otherwise. ^__^

Quote:
(...) Is there much variation in landscape, interiors, etc as the game progresses or does it stay pretty much as it is throughout?
Well, most cities have same tiles just with a different layout. As for crash sites the graphics are dependant on the area you shot down the alien ship over. It will look different in Africa, North Pole or Central Europe and so on... There's also alien bases & your own, that is if you ever get attacked by them...

All in all I do agree with you that it's an awesome game! I just completed it again after years a week or so ago and am slowly preparing myself to jump into part two... ^__^

For some entertaining playthrough of UFO - use it more as an entertainment than actual tactical guideline - I'd like to direct you towards a guy called Necroscope86 on youtube. His playthrough is real fun.
Old 15-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #3273
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

Great old game.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 18-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #3274
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I HATE this game.
You just play all along to the end, WHEN it turns out you have a hidden score of mindcontrolling, and THEN you find out half of your elite crew has almost 0 in that, so therefor you just CAN NOT finish the game, because everyone at the alien planet start mindcontrolling. And no, you don't even have the chance train other guys instead, because after the 100th UFO-landing the game freezes out when you go to the crashsite.

Shitty design.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 18-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #3275
Japo
Autonomous human

That you're not good at it doesn't mean it's bad
Old 18-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #3276
BostonGeorge
Game freak

@Japo Exactly

Nothing can beat the mighty X-COM!
Old 18-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #3277
Panthro
Man of Science

Several remakes on the way, for those that are interested.

The one I'm currently beta testing is UFO: The Two Sides, which allows for multiplayer and single player as the Aliens!

UFO: TTS
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 19-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #3278
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
Several remakes on the way, for those that are interested.

The one I'm currently beta testing is UFO: The Two Sides, which allows for multiplayer and single player as the Aliens!

UFO: TTS
Would you happen to know if there's still room for more beta testers?
I asked twice on the TTS forum but never got any response, just like a few other people on there who would be willing to help out on testing.
It does look promising, especially seeing the discussions they are having on improvements over the original game.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #3279
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
they are having on improvements over the original game.
I hope they'd insert showing the mind-skill right at the start. It's not fun when it turns out that only 3 of your 20 soldiers have enough mental power to not be controlled by the UFOs in the final mission... And of course all of them are only rookies instead of your highest-rank ones.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 19-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #3280
Unregistered_69gkjert

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
Would you happen to know if there's still room for more beta testers?
I asked twice on the TTS forum but never got any response, just like a few other people on there who would be willing to help out on testing.
It does look promising, especially seeing the discussions they are having on improvements over the original game.
Those are open beta tests... you just download the game and play.