Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Seppel.Squirrel
Default DOS space game with alien race called "Luchok"

Hi!

I'm looking for an old DOS game that I played around 1995 - 1999, but I don't know the name of it. I also can't find any references to it on the internet!

It opens up with the developer's logo (TAE, I believe was the name) with two single-pixel red(?) rectangular borders around it. There's a white line (maybe 10px) on both borders that traces around it a few times while a fanfare plays (about 3 notes, soundblaster midi quality, followed by a chord). Then the white lines explode while an explosion sound effect happens.

Then you go to the main menu. At some point, a female voice says in an informational tone, "Welcome to high command." You select a mission (there were about 5 in the shareware version, and 40 total) you get a textual briefing, and then gameplay starts.

You attempt missions which involve teleporting to quadrants (overhead view of a spacey area, no scrolling, HUD up top showing your health and other stats - I remember a long red bar representing your health, and long green and blue ones representing something; shields, maybe?) and destroying "Luchok" aliens. Every ship is about 10x10px. You have a limited-range phaser, a more limited-range tractor beam, and torpedoes(?). You can salvage destroyed Luchok ships for extra parts and repairs. The game uses the mouse to move and aim, and the keyboard to use attacks and other items (I think).

The gameplay is FAST. When you teleport into a quadrant, if there's, say 15 Luchok ships there, they all start attacking you, and it only takes a few hits to blow up your ship. The enemy ships' speed ranges from slow to annoyingly fast.

There are at least two songs that play during gameplay, and I managed to tape one on an old tape recorder back when I was 15 years old. Recently, I found that tape and digitally copied the recording so everyone could hear what appears to be the only remaining trace of this game on the internet: http://tailkiss.com/Luchok_Invasion.mp3

Near the end of the song, you can hear the female voice say "Alien craft entering quadrant." Two Luchoks entered the quadrant. Then the sound of me shooting the phaser and destroying one of the two ships. The remaining ship then fires at me, and then I destroy it.

Old 27-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppel.Squirrel View Post
You attempt missions which involve teleporting to quadrants (overhead view of a spacey area, no scrolling, HUD up top showing your health and other stats - I remember a long red bar representing your health, and long green and blue ones representing something; shields, maybe?) and destroying "Luchok" aliens. Every ship is about 10x10px. You have a limited-range phaser, a more limited-range tractor beam, and torpedoes(?). You can salvage destroyed Luchok ships for extra parts and repairs. The game uses the mouse to move and aim, and the keyboard to use attacks and other items (I think).
Some of this description resembles Galactix but other details don't seem to match.
Old 27-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

For some reason your decription reminds me of Star Hammer. Which I had many years ago on a CD, loaded with hundreds of shareware titles, together with Galactix actually, which I both played back then. The latter helped me also remember the former game which immediately came to my mind. The example music you uploaded also reminds me of Star Hammer, though I can't be sure - it's many years ago now since I last played it.
Conicidently, the full game also contains 40 missions, so maybe this is the game you had in mind?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty