Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Well, since Abandonia is the home of old abandoned DOS games, I would assume that at least there will be some members here as old as me (30 years old). So, I have two questions here, and hopefully someone here can remind me to the answers.

The first question is about the title of an old 1970s/1980s cartoon series that I watched. It was a story about somekind of a pyramid of power. I don't remember what kind of power that pyramid has, though, but I think it should give power to however possesed it. In the opening into, the bad guy, who as far as I remember looked like a hooded ghost named Mandragor (or something similar to that name), climbed some sort of a portal or tower on which the pyramid was placed on top of it. He accidently pushed the pyramid and it fell and broke into many pieces of small pyramids (which somehow scattered around the world if I recall correctly). So the good guys (a man and a woman, again if I recall correctly) would race against the bad guy around the world to collect those small pyramids. That's about it. Does anybody here happen to watch that cartoon in early 1980s and still remember the title?

The second question is about the title of an old 1970s/1980s movie. The movie is set in Arthurian legend, about two apprentice wizards. The king's daughter has been kidnapped by an evil sorcerer, who took her through a time portal into the future (present day). So, Merlin sent these two apprentice wizards into the future as well to catch the bad guy and rescue the princess. The problem was that Merlin's magic was only powerfull to protect one of these two apprentice wizards in the future, so one of them was led astray and joined the bad guy (before repenting himself by the end of the movie). That's about what I can remember. Anybody knows the title of this movie?

Thanks in advance.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 14-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Well I'm 30 and I have no idea what you're taking about. Neither one rung a bell for me. Where are you located? They may have only been aired where you are.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 14-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

You saw some really strange things, didn't you? :blink:

Well, being 27, I'm obviously too young for those...
Old 15-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
Hamster of Doom
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down

I have no idea about that movie, but I know about that cartoon. When I read the name of the villain and this broken pyramid, I remembered, that I saw this cartoon, too. At first I couldn´t remember the name (I only knew, that there were also pandas involved.), but after a little search I found it. Thank you, google!

:brain: The series is called Pandamonium. :brain:
It had only 13 episodes.

Here´s a short review of it from toonarific:
Quote:
Due to the absence of pandas in most American zoos, the adorable bears have always fascinated this country. This fascination was a driving force behind the creation of Pandamonium.

The plot focused around a mystical Pyramid of Power, which would enable its owner to rule the universe. In the first episode, the evil Mondraggor tried to pilfer the pyramid, but sensing his innate evil, the pyramid flung itself into space and blew up into several different pieces. Young Peter Darrow witnessed the explosion through his telescope, prompting him and his sister, Peggy, to jet to Tibet in order to retrieve one of the particles.

When the siblings arrived, they found the bit of pyramid in the possession of three talking pandas—tough guy Chesty, apprehensive Timmy, and dunce Algernon. In a vision, Mondraggor explained the entire situation, setting in motion the battle of good vs. evil.

Luckily, the pandas possessed a special power (as if the power of speech weren't impressive enough). When threatened by Mondraggor or any other danger, the three bears could transform themselves into a giant Poppapanda.

While short-lived, Pandamonium succeeded in adding a level of madcap mysticism to a familiar theme. And in an entirely unrelated note, Jesse White (the voice of Chesty) is better known as the original Maytag repairman. [/b]

@Quintopotere
Hey, I´m also 27 and I watched the cartoon when I was younger...

Ok, now we can argue, if it´s a good or a bad thing that I know weird cartoons...
Hamster of Doom is offline                         Send a private message to Hamster of Doom
Old 15-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
rabadi

That's it! Pandamonium it is! You just made my day! I had been searching for the title in google for the last several months, but failed. I did not even remember any pandas involved. Thanks a lot! :brain:

Well, being in a third-world country, back then there was only one television station (even now there are only about a dozen television stations in my country, not more, but of course now I do not spend time watching television as often as in my childhood days, as now there is a family to care of and Abandonia games to play ), and so evening time was spent watching cartoon on that one and only television.

Anyway, from toonarific, the air date was in 1982, the producer is Marvel Productions from USA, so I don't think the series was only played here.

Speaking about weird cartoons and movies, well, there are actually a few more of these 1980s things I watched and can't remember the titles. For example, this movie about resurrected Jack the Ripper and London Bridge, where Jack the Ripper was resurrected a century later (from 19th century to 20th century) when somebody's blood unwittingly dropped on the brick in the bridge. Or maybe about a television series (with human actors, not cartoon), where a bunch of sailors were stranded on an island, and they had to survive against local pirates (no it's not Jules Verne's Mysterious Island, and it's not Gilligan's Island either), and thanks to a painted (with shark picture) tank/panzer that they had, they managed to face those pirates.

Yeah, I guess I watched many weird things back then

EDIT: now with keywords "pandas" and "pyramid" and "1980s cartoon", I can easily find Pandamonium in google
Old 18-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Is the movie cartoon?

ANyway, I'm probably wrong but there was this movie on Disney Channel tonight called a Knight In King Athur's Court. I\It's storyline sounds similar but I'm probably wrong. THe movie looked pretty silly.
Old 18-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

Scooby Doo ?
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 19-06-2006, 01:55 AM   #8
rabadi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bobbin Threadbare @ Jun 18 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]237505[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is the movie cartoon?

ANyway, I'm probably wrong but there was this movie on Disney Channel tonight called a Knight In King Athur's Court. I\It's storyline sounds similar but I'm probably wrong. THe movie looked pretty silly.
[/b]
No, it was not cartoon. I remember the actor who played one of those two apprentice wizards had curly hair, while the other (who went astray for a while) had beard. Well, not sure if the movie is silly or not if I were to watch again now, but it sure did not feel sily for the six or seven years old of me back then