Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Golden Age Of Gaming
If Babbage's D.E #1 could run games, that would be the age. 0 0%
The Glorious Arcade Halls 4 8.16%
The Unique 'C64 and such' Era 6 12.24%
The Time of DOS 26 53.06%
Or finally, Win95 3 6.12%
Other (please specify in post) 9 18.37%
Games? Who's got time for stinking games? Geez! 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #41
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Well, it seems you Abandonheads have spoken. Uno DOS to rule them all and all that. It was interesting to see that a few thought the arcades era was the golden age.

BTW: The Babbage option was for those who couldn't get far enough back in time. For real sentimentality. A serious option written as a jest. I guess everybody agree that it takes a few tries to get it right, also so with gaming.

I suggest this poll to be closed, and be left as a testimony that Abandonia is indeed the home of abandoned DOS-games.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #42
Office_Monk
Game freak

Maybe I'm a little late for my contribution...

To me, it's as follows:

Golden Age of gaming:
1977 - 1994 (or Atari - Sega 32X and everything inbetween)

Silver Age of Gaming
1994 - 1997 (or Saturn - Dreamcast and everything inbetween)

Modern Age:
1998 - now

I voted C64, simply because it was my first home computer (ok before the C64 I had this Ping Pong tv game console with pistol) and had a wide range of games that looked amazing. Yie-Ar Kung Fu simply ruled back in 1985 (I was going to insert a nunchacku smiley, but I must've seen it on another board...)
Office_Monk is offline                         Send a private message to Office_Monk
Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 AM   #43
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 7 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]235084[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, it seems you Abandonheads have spoken. Uno DOS to rule them all and all that. It was interesting to see that a few thought the arcades era was the golden age.

BTW: The Babbage option was for those who couldn't get far enough back in time. For real sentimentality. A serious option written as a jest. I guess everybody agree that it takes a few tries to get it right, also so with gaming.

I suggest this poll to be closed, and be left as a testimony that Abandonia is indeed the home of abandoned DOS-games.
[/b]
The hard part about gaming with the difference engine is that you are severely in the sorts of games that you could play. The only one that I could think of is a game like Scorched Earth, where to artillery guns are trying to shoot each other, but only if you can connect a DE to a plotter (watch the pen as it traces a line towards your opponent). Lunar lander is also possible, but for the problem of no one knowing what a lunar lander was.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell