Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
I followed the link and understand my mistake.
Simply I took second face image, not the first, and game does not allow me real choice. Now all is OK.
The face choice has only cosmetic effects. It doesn't affect your race and class choices at all.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #12
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonster View Post
@twillight
Viconia has 10 str, not 25.

You can of course just reload until your rest is not disturbed or spend time travelling across the maps to the next inn, but that's really annoying.

Bard songs add surprisingly high damage, five fighters with a singing bard have a higher damage output than 6 fighters. And bards can use a composite long bow to attack twice per round for 3-8 damage each even without magical weapon or ammo if you don't like supporting. They don't have low stats or need special overwatch.

Skull traps can be powerful in BG2 (bards can 1-round kill better with it since they level faster, a high enough level fighter/mage multiclass doesn't need a spell for a 1-round kill), but so can other spells too. The extra spell per day and level helps all the time.
As I said you know nothing about the game. Viconia will have 25 STR with Crom Faeyr, a weapon only she will have proficiency in.

Noone will use 5 fighters.
Also eg. having +1 mage (instead of bard) means +1 fireball per round, +1 magic missile per round etc.

You simply have no idea how Skull Trap (or traps in general) works.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Crom Faeyr isn't available right from the beginning of Baldur's Gate II. It needs to be assembled first, and you won't find all the parts for it until much later in the game. All the time before that all she's got will be either 19 or 18/00 strength from at that time available items. She is a good cleric, but not the best fighter until much later.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
As I said you know nothing about the game. Viconia will have 25 STR with Crom Faeyr, a weapon only she will have proficiency in.
I know more than you do. Anomen and Korgan both start with warhammer proficiency and can even get grandmastery in this weapon type. All other warrior NPCs in the game can at least specialize and all clerics can be at least as proficient as Viconia. And I doubt it's wise wasting such a weapon for someone who gets only one base attack per round. Anomen or a self-made priest of Lathander can attack twice as often per round, warriors even more often.
And the hammer doesn't just jump into your hands, you have to find many other hidden items in optional areas first, chances are high that you a normal player won't ever get it and even if most of the game will be over then.

Quote:
You simply have no idea how Skull Trap (or traps in general) works.
It's a slow and cheesy process using metagaming knowledge to know where hard enemies will appear. Set your traps before any hostilities happen, let the enemies walk into them and take damage. Edwin alone can set 8 skulls traps in a row quite early in BG2, no need to spend even more time having your multiclass backup mage add even more less damage dealing ones. But why even bother setting those traps when there are other, less laborious ways to deal with monsters.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Anomen will use a sword (there are many good swords, but only 1 good hammer), Korgan will use axes.

When you hire up Viconia around that time you should have Crom Faeyr too, so I don't understand your problem. And that time is around when I'm finished with the nonwanted character's quests, so it isn't at the end or something.

Anyway, Anomen sucks hard (he's almost as bad as Cernd in human form, and no items helps on that), and the goal is to have +5 weapons in all characters hands. 2-3 meeleing character also way enough, the rest should stand back and cast spells or summon things (or in case of BG1 shoot projectiles).

Now onto Skull Trap: you need 5 at one place, so with 8 spell you'll lack 2 trap. Pure and simple: Edwin is NOT ENOUGH. Also don't forget that tehere are other spells of that level you want to store.
And why to bother? To avoid dying of course, avoid laggs, freezes, and 30 minutes of suffering for that stupid battle - that's why.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
(he's almost as bad as Cernd in human form, and no items helps on that)
That depends on what you do with him. For meleeing he's bad if not in the werewolf form. For casting he's great, combine him with Viconia and / or Edwin and you have two or three great magic throwers in the party.
Quote:
and the goal is to have +5 weapons in all characters hands
All characters? What for? You're going to send spellcasters or thieves into melee combat?
Even if you're talking about range weapons, spellcasters are way more useful with what they can do best - casting spells.

All you need is one or two characters who got some summoning spells, summoning skeleton warriors (after level 15 or 20, not sure anymore), elementals and with high enough level later planetars and devas. Get few of them ready before battles, and while the summoned helpers bear the brunt of enemies' attention your spellcasters rain spells on enemies from the back. Being careful and retreating from sight if necessary, of course. In my parties melee chars almost never even come to enter the combat, especially if the main protagonist is a sorcerer.

Having said that, we're slowly going a bit off-topic here, since it's Yoga's thread about playing Baldur's Gate 1, not 2.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Being careful and retreating from sight if necessary, of course. In my parties melee chars almost never even come to enter the combat, especially if the main protagonist is a sorcerer.
Seems we have totally different playing styles. I never retreat, and I don't know what you do against those magic immun things which infest Throne of Baal for example. Also the 10 attack per round from my melee warriors (especially if they are also in offensive spin, berserk etc.) seems at least comprabale with anything a mage (who in my party DO go melee time to time to spare magic, and because certain enemies are immun to their spells. Their staff is long enough to hit from just behind the warriors, so no danger on the mage) could do.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
Wicky
the little viking

I guess you want to play on his own, so I wish you good luck Yoga!

If you need any tips on creating an alter-ego capable of becoming the ultimate killing-machine, then say it. I've beaten BG1 and TotSC and later Icewind Dale 2 in Heart of Fury difficulty. This was meant for characters who already have beaten the saga! But instead of bringing in level 30 heroes, I've started Heart of Fury with level 1 guys. All but one of them were shield-dwarves with max constitution and would not survive a single hit, but I kicked their asses anyway, hehe

Last edited by Wicky; 11-07-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Poor yoga, poor me..(sob,sob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
I guess you want to play on his own, so I wish you good luck Yoga!

If you need any tips on creating an alter-ego capable of becoming the ultimate killing-machine, then say it. I've beaten BG1 and TotSC and later Icewind Dale 2 in Heart of Fury difficulty. This was meant for characters who already have beaten the saga! But instead of bringing in level 30 heroes, I've started Heart of Fury with level 1 guys. All but one of them were shield-dwarves with max constitution and would not survive a single hit, but I kicked their asses anyway, hehe
TY, Wicky,

You are real hero, Bravo, bravo!!

Piece, brothers, piece!

Relax and smoke the piece pipe..

Well, I understand that this initial process is very difficult and crucial factor for my progress in this awesome classic RPG.
But ( again this f....d but ) poor yoga is in trouble. Yes.

-Trouble, stupid yoga?
We wrote a million pages to direct you, jolly beggar?
y-- (sob, sob) Yyyyeess..
OK. After careful writing of Your kind and useful help I started again the game BG1:
My leader, named Twillight was Fighter/illusionist.
Following nice link, kindly provided by Gnadige Kmonster I created one very balanced and good character. Nice.
Then I fulfilled all sub tests provided and armed and equipped left the Keep with my "father" Gorion. Sadly .. he sacrificed himself for me.
So I was alone on the road until the little Imoen joined.
Together we continued till met 2 new NPC Xzar and Montaron joined to us. Now we directed
to Friendly Arm Inn. Just before the movie I received
note:
Wrong CD. Put CD N 2 in device K.
and blue dead screen..
Bug.
Note in device K is CD N 3.

Rats!Fiasco!Kaput!

yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #20
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

You could try putting CD2 into the drive before the game asks for it.
If you do a full install the game shouldn't ask for CD switching.

In order to narrow down your problem we need more information. Something like

What are your computer specs ?
Which windows version are you using ?
Which game version did you install ? Did you make a full install ? Are you using the CDs or an CD emulator ?
Did you also install TotSC ? Which game version are you playing ? Did you install the latest patch ? Did you install any inofficial mods ?