Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #21
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Halo is a fantastic game, but it didn't do anything spectacular.
I'd play it over a ton of FPS games in the market right now (including Doom 3 or Quake 4) but it won't replace Half-Life anytime soon.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #22
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Halo despite having some sort of nice sci-fi story is just a mediocre shooter in terms of gameplay. Perhaps that is because the game was made for consoles in mind. Nice ideas, nice scenes sometimes but overall it's not impressive at all. Good game but lacks a lot to be great game. Especially for PC platform.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #23
enidra

my list:

1. World of Warcraft - its so damn addictive
2. Guildwars - wow without lag + better questline imo
3. Diablo - the game that made me a real computer player
4. monkey island - a great game then and now
+ several other games, but these are my favourites
enidra is offline                         Send a private message to enidra
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
Iowa
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Sep 10 2006, 08:26 AM) [snapback]254191[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Halo despite having some sort of nice sci-fi story is just a mediocre shooter in terms of gameplay. Perhaps that is because the game was made for consoles in mind. Nice ideas, nice scenes sometimes but overall it's not impressive at all. Good game but lacks a lot to be great game. Especially for PC platform.
[/b]
I don't believe anyone knows why Halo is so popular...I actually think it's a great and special game because, while it plays off of every cliche and brings almost nothing new, it brings out the true beauty in game mechanics we've already seen and reminds us just how much fun we've had with them. Not only that, but the multiplayer in both Halos is only second to Perfect Dark, in my opinion of course.

The story, while I admit that it wasn't very innovative, it really wasn't emphasised all that much, now if it had been a story-based game like Final Fantasy (which we've also not seen a mention), then I would completely demerit the game. Overall, I just think Halo is very fun, although it might just be because I don't own the game and only get to play it about twice a year, making every play fresh and new...and I admit it, it does get a bit tiring.

Overall, i'd give Halo a good 8/10, the combined multiplayer score: 9/10.

Never played Half-Life, and I swear i'm going to get it...but I have a question: what is it about HL that sets it apart from every other shooter (such as the aforemention Halo)? When I watch people play it on TV, it looks extremely fun...but nothing special. However, I have noticed some original qualities in HL2.

And on a side note, MMORPGs entertain me for an extremely little amount of time, then I walk away, then I go back, rinse and repeat. I don't see why people are so addicted to WoW...it looks like an awful waste of time to me. (Note: i'm speaking from a point with absolutely no WoW experience, and these are just my opinions on gameplay snippets i've seen).
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Sep 10 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]254191[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
Lies, it's far from mediocre, it's fun as hell.

@Iowa: It doesn't look like anything special now, but back when it was released the only FPS games you were EVER going to find were the ones with the little "mission" screens, there were hardly any scripted events, structured stories, or such, almost all of them were just split into seperate little "episodes" with a small text prompt at the beggining, Half-Life was the first game ever to utlilize scripting everywhere to tell the story, not only that, but it didn't have a single cinemtic (unlike Quake II for example) and the player was ALWAYS playing the game, level design was amazing, since everything was put together seemlessly, unlike the earlier FPS games which just had a punch of levels connected together with an entrance and exit, Half-Life made sense, you'd go into one section of the facility, only to see through a window a section you were just in.

Half-Life also let you interact with NPCs like no other FPS game had done before, people would talk, respond to monsters, and etc.

To be frank, it did a about 500 million things never seen in a game before in just one 14 hour game.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #26
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Well that just about makes me want to buy it...I saw it at Hastings for 16$, but it was bundled with about three or four expansions...
Old 10-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #27
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Don't buy that. Try to find a used one with the CD key, then you can get all the expansions, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and several other mods that you would reguraly need to pay for, for free, via Steam.

My Site -
Old 11-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #28
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

@Iowa= Im not saying that N64 version was better than PC. Im saying that it's not bad.

Anyway, lets not argue about this anymore. Now to other topics....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 9 2006, 01:14 AM) [snapback]253818[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Sep 8 2006, 04:47 AM) [snapback]253624[/snapback]
Quote:

Daggerfall: Freedom to chose. BIG TIME! Really neat magic and some pretty heavy duty dungeons.

[/b]
Just my opinion, but I think Daggerfall is an overrated buggy hash.
[/b][/quote]

Buggy? I would say crashy.

I got Daggerfall this summer (thanks to my friend) and i almost sold my soul to it. It had great athmosphere and the world was HUUUGE.

However, after I played it two weeks in a row, I't started to be a bit boring.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #29
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 9 2006, 01:14 AM) [snapback]253818[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think Daggerfall is an overrated buggy hash.
[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Sep 11 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]254319[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Buggy? I would say crashy.

I got Daggerfall this summer (thanks to my friend) and i almost sold my soul to it. It had great athmosphere and the world was HUUUGE.

However, after I played it two weeks in a row, I't started to be a bit boring.
[/b]
Until I patched it with fixmaps (I think it's called), it was unplayable, crashing in the starter dungeon after less than 2 minutes. True, there still were crashes, but not as many as I hear others have. I played it under win98se and it's a version meant to run under win (!). Also, it has the latest patch.

Sidenote: I have never seen a game with as many patches as this one. Patches were released to patch the previous patches... It's madness.

I also get a bit bored when playing it for 'ages', but then I quit playing for a while and then return. Only problem is that I then need to do some heavy reading of notes to catch up on the plot and status.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #30
Iowa
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 10 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]254218[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Don't buy that. Try to find a used one with the CD key, then you can get all the expansions, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and several other mods that you would reguraly need to pay for, for free, via Steam.
[/b]
Umm, are these expansions downloadable via 28.8k modem?

Oh, and i've come to the conclusion that Max Payne has the best-presented storyline i've ever seen in a game.