Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #51
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Is crap for a hundred of reason, the first one is how the monster level works, in the vanilla oblivion you can became champion of the arena at level 5 and complete the game at level 10, is really a noob game.
I've invested around 30 hours in that game and I never did finish the main quest.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #52
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I still haven't found someone who can say they liked Oblivion's level scaling system with a straight face.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #53
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh_sabugs View Post
I still haven't found someone who can say they liked Oblivion's level scaling system with a straight face.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #54
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Don't we all.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #55
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Yeah that level scaling that really sucks, everyone hates that. I mean that is why Morrowind is so good...oh wait...Morrowind has it too (though it is a different form and I prefer the Morrowind/Skyrim version). If you find Oblivion too easy turn up the difficulty to max, if you think you can beat the main mission too fast don't play it. Morrowind can be beaten just as fast by smart players not to mention the speed runs that beat the game in under ten minutes.

Oblivion and Morrowind both have their good parts and their bad parts, to me they weigh out almost the same. I normally end up having more fun in Oblivion since I spend less time feeling lost and confused. Both have short main stories and much much longer side quests and that is where I play. Plus Oblivion has Shivering Isles which has to be one of the best DLCs ever made.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #56
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Difficulty is hardly the point. I mentioned earlier I could simply fly through the levels in Arena, and it was still fun. Also, there isn't much level scaling in Morrowind (or at all?). I remember entering some temple full of daedra early in the game and being stomped, then returning and killing them easily later.

Anyway, why exactly are you defending the most foul feature of Oblivion? I see no point to it, really. With it, there is suddenly no point in leveling, it doesn't impact the game at all, in fact you may be screwed if you didn't pick a strictly fight oriented build. The atmosphere is torn apart when you see bandits wearing super armours at the town gates, or overly powerful rats in caves. Such things kill a major part of the fun in RPG games.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #57
Capo
Unconventional member

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #58
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Hunvagy posted that earlier. I didnt comment on it, but now after actually watching it some more, that is bloody gorgeous. Almost like a different game.

How much horsepower does it need?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #59
Japo
Autonomous human

My impression on the mods so far: I couldn't possibly live without the one that gives merchants more money. This was simply outrageous in the original game.

I already said my first impression of MCA. Companions, and random encounters with bandits and ashlanders, are also very nice.

The guars for burden and riding are great. Every RPG should have horses and the like; walking everywhere carrying 100 kg is as absurd as it gets. The graphics while riding are horrible because that's all they could do with the Morrowind engine, but in 1st person you don't see it.

I still haven't visited the horse ranch. I'm not in a hurry since I already have wheels, but I'll try it some day. For some reason the ranch is in Vos (possibly to avoid interferring with other mods that alter more popular locations?) If dark elves use guars mostly and horses come from the empire, the ranch should be in Ebonheart. But as I said the ranch itself is cheesy, from the YouTube video I saw.

The guar mod is more respectful with the original game setting: the guar merchants are ashlanders found in the outskirts of some towns.

Clothiers: The clothes it introduces are incompatible with the clothes and armor in the original game, which it doesn't replace. So you can't use them unless you go unarmored. It also introduces some sets of armor, incompatible with the ones in the original game, and most of them just cheesy/slutty and out of place. And the clothes of most NPCs don't change, just of some introduced by the mod itself. Next time I'll pass.

Better bodies: pointless without better clothes, or armor for that matter, or without being naked of course. Pass too. I understand there are better clothes mods, but if they only enhance the graphics of the existing clothes, instead of adding variety, I'm not interested.

The headpack was nice to overcome the original game's shortcomings during character creation, not just resolution but variety. Although once you put on a helm it's over. And again it doesn't affect NPCs in principle, only the ones introduced by other mods that depend on it such as MCA. So because of that maybe pass too; or maybe not, for character creation and for MCA, which I like too.

Passive Healthy Widlife: nice specially for cliff racers. Although maybe these were supposed to attack humans, lore-wise? Animals will still attack you if you get too near, or if they're diseased.

Cait's critters: the farm animals do give a great ambiance to towns.

Birdies: it has very few birds, probably to avoid trashing the performance. So you're unlikely to see any bird even if you look for them. So pass.

Last edited by Japo; 03-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #60
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I remember the bird mod. I decided to remove it after I found few of them flying against a base of a mountain.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen