Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

Please note: this post refers to version 1.0, not version 1.1. Go down for updated info.

Download Time Streamer 1.1

As the title says, this is my batch file game that I started working on last year. I recently finished it and debugged it as best I could. This game was programmed entirely in Windows NT batch scripting. The point of this gimmicky exercise was not to make a "great game" but to make a game with a toolset that isn't designed for it. As far as I know this is the only batch file game in existence!

See README.TXT for technical ntoes.

Time Streamer may remind you of a BBS style door game from the late 80's, early 90's. Playing through the game takes about an hour. The game is inspired around the story/myth of John Titor (a time traveler) who supposedly came to this world timeline to obtain an IBM 5100 for his world timeline in 2036. For more info check out the README.TXT

Time Streamer features:

- Randomized Combat System with Random Enemy Encounters
- Sound Effects
- RPG style Level Gains (/w new skills each level...really)
- ANSI colors graphics
- Sci-Fi storyline with some humorous undertones
- Selectable Weapons and "Shrines"
- NPCs (you can interact with/talk to)

System Requirements:

Windows XP

Because the code utilizes functions specific to XP it likely won't work in 98, Me or even 2000. But XP2 should be fine (I've tested this). Vista may also work, but don't count on it.

Click "Shortcut to TIMESTREAMER" to run.

You can also click on TS.CMD to run, or type TS from the command line.

My thoughts on the game itself: I've played it quite a bit, and I really like it, though it's obviously quite primitive. It mainly borrows from a cross-section of older games, not trying to immitate anything in particular. I really had fun in making it, but it was Hard to do. It came out better that I thought and I'm satisfied with the end result.

The version I'm linking to here is suppose to be complete. However, there is obviously room for improvemt. If you have problems running it, or notice some bugs, please let me know. Although I tested it extensively, I'm sure there's bound to be something I missed.

Just to let you know, the game is perfectly safe to run (to the best of my knowledge anyway). It stays within the directory it's run and doesn't modify any files other than those that come with it or that it creates.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts on it. No one has played it yet.

Last edited by Gargantuan Orangutan; 02-03-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan