Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
PASMAN II

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBlade View Post
Awesome game, but I've been having some problems with it lately. Well, one: sometimes my plane seems to crash into an invisible hill. The game just stops, the crash sound plays and then I see the death screen, telling me I crashed into a hill. It's happened three times so far, ruining missions and really putting a dent into my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic, unique game.

There's no hill. I can see hills and mountains around the map, but none anywhere near close for me to actually crash into. In all three cases I had been flying level, at a decent speed and altitude (once I was even 600ft above the ground!).

I'm using DOSBox 0.74, and this has happened at both 10000 and 7000 cycles. Copy protection always answered right (well, I quit whenever I fail: could the game be sabotaging itself for the future?). No joystick, AdLib sound. CPU core and type both on auto setting. I haven't really tweaked the default configuration much, and have no idea what might be causing this bizarre bug. Nobody else seems to be experiencing it, as far as my googling could see.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I encounter the "invisible hill" once in a while. It usually pops-up in Central Europe missions, level 10, while returning to base at either Neuberg, Leipheim or Memmingen (and once in a while at Ramstein). It doesn't matter whether I am flying at 500 ft agl or 30,000 ft agl. I think it has to do with turning while flying in certain enemy areas. It usually occurs on hard left and right turns, or just after coming out of a hard turn. To overcome the "invisible hill" I don't make hard turns until I am flying over "friendly" territory. It seems to be working so far.
PASMAN II is offline                         Send a private message to PASMAN II
Old 15-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
PASMAN II

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnamed_catgirl View Post
i remember, i played this game long ago, and once, while trying to land in libya, i saw two helicopters. iirc my radar didn't detect them. for sure, it was this game and it was helicopters, but i played it a lot that time and newer saw them before and after. i checked craft charts on this site and there are no helicopters there. have anybody seen them too?

btw thank you for the wonderful site, i haven't thought i could find the game manual and the charts anywhere
Flying missions in Vietnam, I see helicopters hovering near the runways as I am taking off. I never see them when I am landing. If you fly out of Don Muang you can see them really well!
PASMAN II is offline                         Send a private message to PASMAN II
Old 18-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

How about writing some reviews?!?!?!

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 22-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
PASMAN II

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
How about writing some reviews?!?!?!

Shoot me an email. Give me the particulars. I'm open to doing some writing!
Old 22-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Japo
Autonomous human

Here you can find that information. You can look around the approved requests board for many games that you could review.
Old 24-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Here you can find that information. You can look around the approved requests board for many games that you could review.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 24-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post

You started it
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #28
Sunburn

Question

delete

Last edited by Sunburn; 05-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Sunburn is offline                         Send a private message to Sunburn
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #29
Sunburn

delete

Last edited by Sunburn; 05-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Sunburn is offline                         Send a private message to Sunburn
Old 18-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
PASMAN II

On level 10, flying missions over Central Europe, chaff & flares are useless against enemy air and ground radars. I usually dump them soon after take-off. This has a positive effect by lightening your weight... and this increases your range. 10,000 pounds of fuel performs like 11,000 pounds of fuel. Also, decoys are very heavy. I try to dump at least one decoy after take-off. You really only need decoys for IL-76 & Mig-31 aircraft, and SA-10/12 ground radars.