Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #71
knobfer

Ah! I would love to give the pen and paper rpg's a go, but alas I know no one who plays them
knobfer is offline                         Send a private message to knobfer
Old 21-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #72
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

And vampire doesn't suck, your just need a real good storyteller to feel the horror. And of course a party who's not out to re-create Twilight in a game session [/quote]

or the Anne Rice's vampire chronicles. Or superheroes with fangs. Or munchkins trying to get 10 in all their disciplines, or a*holes that thing that making the game no fun and argumentative for everyone else is good roleplay....

It's a laaaaaarge etcetera, .

But yes, every game could be good with the right people, but if I have to choose a WoD game, I would choose Mage: The Ascension from the old world of darkness, and a mix between second and revised edition at that.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 21-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #73
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quia View Post
But yes, every game could be good with the right people, but if I have to choose a WoD game, I would choose Mage: The Ascension from the old world of darkness, and a mix between second and revised edition at that.
Oh Mage.. I almost forgot about that one I still have the character sheet for my character from the Order of Hermes He and his trusty Virtual Adept DEV//Null had many a great adventures back in the days
Old 22-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #74
cpt renault
Forum hobbit

Mage? I'd never heard of that one. I never realized quite how many of these games there are, heh. I suppose perhaps I should try expanding my horizons beyond good ol' 3.5.
As for vampires, oh god. I had hoped Twilight wouldn't be near as popular as it was. As if Ann Rice didn't...well, Ann Rice-atize them enough, along comes Twilight to make them even less appealing for Roleplaying. It's a shame, because the vampire concept has potential that is sort of doomed, now.
cpt renault is offline                         Send a private message to cpt renault
Old 22-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #75
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt renault View Post
Mage? I'd never heard of that one. I never realized quite how many of these games there are, heh. I suppose perhaps I should try expanding my horizons beyond good ol' 3.5.
As for vampires, oh god. I had hoped Twilight wouldn't be near as popular as it was. As if Ann Rice didn't...well, Ann Rice-atize them enough, along comes Twilight to make them even less appealing for Roleplaying. It's a shame, because the vampire concept has potential that is sort of doomed, now.
Mage the Ascension is a World of Darkness game, in the vein of Vampire the Masquarade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Wraith and the likes. The WotD is a story heavy system (at least in my opinion), which can be very disappointing, if some blood-blood-exp kiddies are in the play group. Yes, the vampires and the mages and the likes ARE powerful, but the whole concept is about that every one of them is doomed in one way or another because of his power. If that isn't emphasized in play, it will ruin the session. Interesting system by the way, you should give it a try, but only with some experienced WotD players Hmm, don't quite remember the phrase, but I think it goes like this: A vampire kills five werewolves, a mage kills five vampires and an attorney kills five mages
Old 22-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #76
cpt renault
Forum hobbit

Well, nice. I'll definitely look into that--I'm quite the fan of story-heavy games, so that part suits me just fine.
I guess I just need to find some experienced WotD players. Might be a bit of a challenge, just some standard Dungeons and Dragons is hard enough to find.
cpt renault is offline                         Send a private message to cpt renault
Old 22-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #77
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

A vampire kills five werewolf? You are playing it wrong, buddy . A vampire has no chance against a werewolf, let alone five, unless he is really ancient (and the werewolfs mere puppies :P)

I think that it is a lot easier to find crappy WoD players rather than good ones. Also, the new world of darkness is crap. WoD games can be a little bit pretentious (and mage is the most pretentious of the lot), but with the right people can be a lot of fun.

Mage is my favorite WoD game because of the themes you can work on it and the magic system. But I usually get aways a good bit from the default setting, prefering a more urban fantasy theme, mixed with some cyberpunk and conspiracy. God, I miss my old Mage campaign... lovely characters....
Old 23-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #78
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quia View Post
A vampire kills five werewolf? You are playing it wrong, buddy . A vampire has no chance against a werewolf, let alone five, unless he is really ancient (and the werewolfs mere puppies :P)

I think that it is a lot easier to find crappy WoD players rather than good ones. Also, the new world of darkness is crap. WoD games can be a little bit pretentious (and mage is the most pretentious of the lot), but with the right people can be a lot of fun.

Mage is my favorite WoD game because of the themes you can work on it and the magic system. But I usually get aways a good bit from the default setting, prefering a more urban fantasy theme, mixed with some cyberpunk and conspiracy. God, I miss my old Mage campaign... lovely characters....
Maybe it's the other way around, a werewolf kills five vampires, and a mage kills five werewolves... but the attorney part I remember clearly And yes, it is really easy to find crappy WoD players, especially in MET. Well I do like roleplay, but the Mind's Eye Theatre (aka. LIVE vampire) was a little too much for my tase. Some guy running around in a black raincoat shouting celerity, celerity...
Our Mage campaign was urban as well, set somewhere at the end of the XXI. century. And we were playing very strict by the rules of paradoxes and such, which made the game for me quite a challenge (being one of the most paradox ridden traditions, that is). But my character was no traditional Order of Hermes guy. Was a business man, with a small occult library and a devilish smile (and of course with the power to reshape the elements) :thumbs: I remember one of the most hillarious moments was when I had to check out some warehouses in the slums, where people began turning up dead, and drained of their blood, and while on the road, suddenly my radio changes stations to some guys voice and says: "Hello, I'm Dev//NULL, I'll be your Virtual guide today"
Old 23-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #79
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Maybe it's the other way around, a werewolf kills five vampires, and a mage kills five werewolves... but the attorney part I remember clearly And yes, it is really easy to find crappy WoD players, especially in MET. Well I do like roleplay, but the Mind's Eye Theatre (aka. LIVE vampire) was a little too much for my tase. Some guy running around in a black raincoat shouting celerity, celerity...
Our Mage campaign was urban as well, set somewhere at the end of the XXI. century. And we were playing very strict by the rules of paradoxes and such, which made the game for me quite a challenge (being one of the most paradox ridden traditions, that is). But my character was no traditional Order of Hermes guy. Was a business man, with a small occult library and a devilish smile (and of course with the power to reshape the elements) :thumbs: I remember one of the most hillarious moments was when I had to check out some warehouses in the slums, where people began turning up dead, and drained of their blood, and while on the road, suddenly my radio changes stations to some guys voice and says: "Hello, I'm Dev//NULL, I'll be your Virtual guide today"
I have seen LARPing people... and yes, the vampire ones are usually the worse of the lot. I mean, why the fixation with raincoats? Sure I love them but... why has every vampire has to dress like that? I remember Justin Achilli ranting in the FAQ about that, saying something like "If I were a vampire hunter, I will lock all the raincoat wearing people in the same place and put a torch to it"

Although I have played once (and sure I wanted to play more), the rest of the time I have DMing Mage. We were playing a campaign set in 1997 (this was around 2000-2001) and it was great. We had a great cast of characters, but the best of all of them was the Cultist of Ecstasy. The guy was illegally occupying a house with his bedridden grandmother (who he had doped most of the time, the bastard), loved to walk around naked in his house (with the other characters there, and even answering the door like that, we have some hilarious stories about that), was always out of his mind with drugs and was a lovable guy, and even the bastardly things he sometimes made, you couldn't help but love him. Oh, great memories, lol...
Old 24-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #80
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

WotD games were the ones where I didn't have the courage to try DMing. I'm more of a fantasy story telling guy, gritty and dark is not my cup of tea. So in the Vampire and Mage sessions I always was a PC. We even played Wraith once, with a superb DM, it was really suspenseful, although we had to prepare almost half a day just to have him accept our characters But it was really fun, mostly the part where you try to convince the other player (as you play your character, and one another ones dark side) to give up and turn over into darkness. We played until late in the morning, it was a blast.