Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Artifice

Default These annoying ad's have to go.

I love this site. I love it. But seriously? Every new page I load I've got to mute the stupid ad - TWICE! I've got nothing but respect for you guys running this site, and keeping it afloat. I doubt many of our associates visiting here are interested in the Hall of Style, just sayin'.

Thanks for everything!
Artifice is offline                         Send a private message to Artifice
Old 17-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hi Artifice,

Unfortunately we don't have any control over the content of the ads. However the slow loading caused by the ads is an issue we could hopefully address. I recommend you use our contact form to send your message to The Powers That Be.

It's great to have you with us, and I hope aside from the annoying ads you're finding some great old games and enjoying what we have to offer
Old 17-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

...and in the meantime you can benefit from AdBlock or NoScript plugins if you're using Firefox (I'm sure other browsers have their counterparts).
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 28-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
mil999

I agree. This site is very good but now it looks messy. Ads everywere and now this facebook. Do something becouse it's unreadable.
mil999 is offline                         Send a private message to mil999
Old 28-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
euricog

Please!!! For some months now that the site has been a pain to load. Besides the ads I am forced to block the multiple facebook/tweeter/etc plugins that effectively stop the front page from loading in a timely manner. Does anyone really need 100 fb plugins and a globe showing where tweets are coming from? Really? I fear that in a near future the site's content will be hard to find because it will be buried between likes and ads and other nonsense. Again, please do something about it!
euricog is offline                         Send a private message to euricog
Old 28-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Our content is already hard to find. On the download pages we have deceitful ads reading "download" with bigger letters than the real download link, taking to different websites.
Old 28-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
Unfortunately we don't have any control over the content of the ads. However the slow loading caused by the ads is an issue we could hopefully address. I recommend you use our contact form to send your message to The Powers That Be.
This.

Once solved the problem of the Quiz and other minor issues we will try to ask for an improvement, we can't do much more than this now.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Suffice to say a lot of the components on the frontpage can be removed by the admins here, without the approval of Abovo, since they were added without their consent in the first place.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Please!!! For some months now that the site has been a pain to load. Besides the ads I am forced to block the multiple facebook/tweeter/etc plugins that effectively stop the front page from loading in a timely manner. Does anyone really need 100 fb plugins and a globe showing where tweets are coming from? Really? I fear that in a near future the site's content will be hard to find because it will be buried between likes and ads and other nonsense. Again, please do something about it!
Eagle of Fire likes this quote.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Suffice to say a lot of the components on the frontpage can be removed by the admins here, without the approval of Abovo, since they were added without their consent in the first place.
Those components fall under the cathegory site/community related content, not advertisements, widgets, and huge promotionals banners placed by them.

Network Buttons, Youtube Vid, Twitter, Stats Map and connections with other sites are the things added by us and I'm currently trying to reduce their impact on main page.
We don't have permission to remove the other things.
I'm pressing Abovo for an optimization of the main page, but considering the problems we have they are focusing on other issues.