Galactic Civilization 1 4.17%
Master of Orion 10 41.67%
Space Empires 4 16.67%
Other 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

I'm currently playing Galactic Civilization 2 and I think it's great! I have however noticed Space Empires V as well, but according to Gamespot it's not nearly as good as Space Empires IV. Has anyone tried them both, if so which one is you favorite? I've played and liked Master of Orion 2, Space Empires IV and Galactic Civilization 2. The only other I've tried is Master of Orion 3, but I didn't like it. I know there are abandoware 4X:es out there, but I'm looking for more "up to date" games.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Morrin
Underground

I have to say space empires IV. Yup
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Galactic Civilization is definitly one of the worse 4X I've played so far... But you just can't beat Master of Orion 3. That game is not even a game, it's a mediocracy at it's best. As for Space Empires, I don't even know the game so it's quite hard to comment on it...

About all the good 4X are not listed in the poll, I would expect "Other" to be filled quite fast... But if you want to play the best of them all, you should definitly get Master of Orion 2. And play without the Antaran attacks...
Old 05-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Dec 5 2006, 04:34 AM) [snapback]270308[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Galactic Civilization is definitly one of the worse 4X I've played so far... But you just can't beat Master of Orion 3. That game is not even a game, it's a mediocracy at it's best. As for Space Empires, I don't even know the game so it's quite hard to comment on it...

About all the good 4X are not listed in the poll, I would expect "Other" to be filled quite fast... But if you want to play the best of them all, you should definitly get Master of Orion 2. And play without the Antaran attacks...
[/b]
I've played MOO2 a lot in the past and I've found GC2 to be just as good if not better than it. With the coming expansion I'm expecting GC2 to kick *money maker*. The first GC wasn't that good though.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Bernie
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Bernie

Sword of the Stars is awesome!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bernie @ Dec 5 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]270412[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Sword of the Stars is awesome!
[/b]
I've seen some screenies from it and it certainly looks good, but how does it compare to other 4X:es in terms of depth, variety, AI etc.?

According to IGN it's a little too combat inviting...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

SotS is a hate it or love it game.
For many it's too simplistic and abstract. Compared to the detail level of combat the detail level of empire management is very, very low.

However that shouldn't fool you. The strategic part (Empire) of the game, without all those details, is actually deeper in SotS then in any other 4X I've played.
The tactical part (combat) is also great, but sometimes frustrating.

You should make another division in 4X's. The traditional Strategic vs. Tactical doesn't cut it. The strategic part should be subdivided into management and actual strategy. SotS has little of the first and lots of the second. You're and admiral, not a president or engineer.

AI can be considered a hit and miss. Sometimes it's awesome and baffling (and very hard) and sometimes it makes you go 'wha?'
To be honest, it's more often the latter, but I have that with many games :P
Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
Carcaroth
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to Carcaroth Send a message via AIM to Carcaroth Send a message via MSN to Carcaroth Send a message via Yahoo to Carcaroth

Star Wars Rebellion is a great strategy game. And I like Myth too.

~Ceramic White PSP Status~
FW: 3.72 HX-2
Carcaroth is offline                         Send a private message to Carcaroth
Old 08-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
Razor2
Abandonia nerd

Moo2 is the best 4x game ever developed... It has a balance between micro and macromanagement, unlike SEV. SEV is too micro focused. You have to attach each crew quarter to your ships, its ridiculous, the next thing will be that you have to have to design the head . Another big problem of SEV is the dumbness of the AI.

GC2 is damn close to be a spiritual successor of MOO2, if the expansion Dark Avatar delivers what Stardock advertises, it will be the new king of genre. The game has the same balance like MOO2 and AI is phenomenal, at times you will think its a human player, and it does not cheat!. The only problem with it is that it adapts to slowly to your weapons. Maybe DA will solve this.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

Nothing can beat the original:
Master of Orion