Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

I been playing Ultima Underworld and have been having some strange inventory related bugs later in the game. It seems to happen when I travel between floors 4-5 the most. Items either disappear or turn into other items or even into strange things like blood splats and attack effects. This also effects important items you cant complete the game without. :angry:

I tracked done a patch that was suppose to fix the " infamous inventory bug" dont know if thats what is happening to me or not. But the problem still persist. Though now I get a message where the onscreen text appears along the line of "ultima underworld internal error" and something about "items not found" I dont remember the exact words, when I load my saved game and switch between lvls like 4-5.

I started a new game to see if it would also have the same problems now but it will take me awhile to get as far as I am now to see if the same problem happens.

Im running the game in DOSBOX 0.63 so Im not really sure if I downloaded the patch correctly. I just downloaded and extracted it and threw the patch UW app into the UW game folder replacing the UW app in there. Not sure if I was suppose to do it somehow in Dosbox.

So I wanted to know if anyone eles had this problem and how they might have fixed it.

ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 06-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Gamefreak

I had the problem too, and in fact there an easy solution. When you configure the sound and cutsecenes in the install.exe, it is not enough that you set the soundcard and it's properties there.
You need also to run the program uwsound.exe that is located in the folder of the game, and that in DosBox so it will be able to recognize the soundcard. When you see that the settings as you set them in install.exe appear above the choices of the program like the following:

Current settings are
sound : a Sound Blaster (detected)
speech : a Sound Blaster Pro (detected)

choose 3. Exit and Save

That's it, the inventory bug should have gone then. Be sure to start the game anew though, I know, it's nasty, but if you don't, the bug will stay in you savegame all the way along.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

He is right. Your bug probably stayed because it's in the save game.

Restarting the game is good idea. Especialyl if you are not too far down. Now that you know the puzzles and how to solve them you will get there much quicker. Trust me i know - i once stopped playing in 10th level thinking that there is too many levels leftto the finish.

Now i foudn the game here and replyed it and i was amazed how fast everyhting went eventhought i started from begining.

P.S.
If it's your first time start with a druid with high strength (go through characther untill you find a suitable one).
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 06-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
Gamefreak

While at that theme, you can create the characters again and again, and if you don't like the values of the one you got, reject it and create it again, that way you can get good values with little patience. Especially strength is good for being able to carry more in inventory.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Im still getting a "Underworld Internal error, problems in object list" even in the new game. Nothing is disappearing but i get that message during gameplay sometimes and when I reload a saved game.

I never got that message before I downloaded the patch. Is that just what the patch does to correct this bug? I havent lost anything or had any strange bugs yet in the new game, just keep getting that message once in awhile

BTW did you guys even use the patch?
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 06-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Gamefreak

I never used any patch, and got rid of this inventory problem earlier with the steps above. Probably it's this patch that still causes the error message. Try to install the game anew without the patch, though keep the new savegame, and don't forget uwsound.exe.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

K thanks for the info again gamefreak Im going to forgot about the patch and try the steps you suggested k: