Old 19-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #61
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonLancer@Feb 20 2005, 12:19 AM
:blink: WOW this game looks complex :blink:
hurts my brain LOL :guns:
If you have any questions just ask.
Like this game.Without that micromanagment and dumb AI it could be even superior to Master of Orion :whistle:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 24-02-2005, 12:55 AM   #62
Warlord Mk. I

I first played this game when I was ten years old. I loved it from the very beginning.

My favorite species are the Shevar (the evil many-armed power sappers) and the Marmosians (the insect people who can turn their enemies against one another). I have recently been playing as the Marmosians against a really tough opponent who has over 40 colonies and almost as many heavily armed battleships. (I only have two well-protected colonies, and I'm killin' as many of their gigantic starships as I can)

Tip: put Orbital Shields around your planets as soon as possible...two or three will insure you against just about anything... and don't forget to build Long Range Orbital Whoppers once they are available...AI players hate that... :karate:

But what do a lot of the weird components you come across when you build ships do? I have some of them figured out, but if anyone knows how to use the special items, can you post instructions here?

This is definitely one of the greatest games ever made...since it didn't get the praise or popularity it should have (see, not all good games make it!), I consider it sort of a sleeper hit.

Old 24-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #63
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warlord Mk. I@Feb 24 2005, 02:55 AM
I first played this game when I was ten years old. I loved it from the very beginning.

My favorite species are the Shevar (the evil many-armed power sappers) and the Marmosians (the insect people who can turn their enemies against one another). I have recently been playing as the Marmosians against a really tough opponent who has over 40 colonies and almost as many heavily armed battleships. (I only have two well-protected colonies, and I'm killin' as many of their gigantic starships as I can)

Tip: put Orbital Shields around your planets as soon as possible...two or three will insure you against just about anything... and don't forget to build Long Range Orbital Whoppers once they are available...AI players hate that... :karate:

But what do a lot of the weird components you come across when you build ships do? I have some of them figured out, but if anyone knows how to use the special items, can you post instructions here?

This is definitely one of the greatest games ever made...since it didn't get the praise or popularity it should have (see, not all good games make it!), I consider it sort of a sleeper hit.
Hold shift button and click on special item.Short description should pop-out.This can be used also on building.
Ascendaci rulez! :Titan:
The best races are Chamachies becouse of their special ability and any race that starts on Gaia planet.
Old 24-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #64
TwoHedWlf

Send a message via AIM to TwoHedWlf Send a message via MSN to TwoHedWlf

Yup, Chamachies are my favorite, I think they have the best looking ships too. Once I've got the enormous hulls I like to put about 8 of the shield that doesn't use any power, I forget the name, on battleships. That means the ship is effectively invincible No weapon in the game except for the destructotron? can damage it. Then just fill the rest up with guns, generators and the other required bits. Then you can just have another troop transport follow it around full of invaders, 1-2 generators and engines. Have that one stay out of the fight and let your invincible battleship clear away any defenses.
Old 24-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #65
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoHedWlf@Feb 24 2005, 01:35 PM
Yup, Chamachies are my favorite, I think they have the best looking ships too. Once I've got the enormous hulls I like to put about 8 of the shield that doesn't use any power, I forget the name, on battleships. That means the ship is effectively invincible No weapon in the game except for the destructotron? can damage it. Then just fill the rest up with guns, generators and the other required bits. Then you can just have another troop transport follow it around full of invaders, 1-2 generators and engines. Have that one stay out of the fight and let your invincible battleship clear away any defenses.
My favorites are Govoroms.They can transform one of your colonies into gaia planets and start with gaia planet too.This can provide HUGE boost on productivity becouse on late games nearly half all of your colonies are Gaia (no matter what they were before).And they have very pretty ships too.
Old 24-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #66
TwoHedWlf

Send a message via AIM to TwoHedWlf Send a message via MSN to TwoHedWlf

Hmmm, I don't think I've tried the govorom...Ok, starting a new game next chance I get using the govorom. be nice if I could get my sound to work though.

Another thing I usually do is the first ships I make just put a hyperspace drive, an engine and a generator and fill the rest with colonizers and send them out searching for alien ruins. One game I hit the jackpot and the the first couple technologies I got from them were nanomanipulators, nanotwirlers and whatever the top level engine is. I shoulda bought a lotto ticket too.
Old 24-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #67
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Warlord Mk. I@Feb 24 2005, 01:55 AM

Ugh. I reviewed it for a now-defunct print magazine when I roughly 40. Let me put in my false teeth, and get my cane...

Out of curiosity, what level of gameplay are you using? Hostile universe? Are you using the patch? How do you find the AI? I've not found it too bad with the patch as others indicate.

The helix universe was good in theory, but a lot of people found it a nuisance in reality. And the company never did have the bucks for PR. What they had instead was some very bright designers, including the man who was the brains behind Betrayal at Krondor, one of the all-time best RPGs.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 24-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #68
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin+Feb 24 2005, 04:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Feb 24 2005, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warlord Mk. I@Feb 24 2005, 01:55 AM

Ugh. I reviewed it for a now-defunct print magazine when I roughly 40. Let me put in my false teeth, and get my cane...

Out of curiosity, what level of gameplay are you using? Hostile universe? Are you using the patch? How do you find the AI? I've not found it too bad with the patch as others indicate.

The helix universe was good in theory, but a lot of people found it a nuisance in reality. And the company never did have the bucks for PR. What they had instead was some very bright designers, including the man who was the brains behind Betrayal at Krondor, one of the all-time best RPGs. [/b][/quote]
Yes as I already said this game has many flaws.But I like this game.It had great potential.I respect your opinion but you should know that when gamer like his game NOTHING can force him to change his opinion.(like me )
Old 24-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #69
Warlord Mk. I
Talking

Sure, I have a few nitpicky complaints. First, we need more species to play at a time (there are a lot of different colors that could have been chosen). Second, there's no humor. The game is dead serious. Third, a map editor would be nice.

This game is great. It is NOT a copy of any other game (even modern games like Far Cry and Half-Life 2 fail to interest me) and it can be played repeatedly without me ever getting sick of it. Each new game is different from the previous.

I love smilies.

Old 26-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #70
Colorblind

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydro@Sep 19 2004, 12:22 PM
can anyone tell me how to "Help-click", I've researched loads of stuff
but I don't know what it does. Or if someone had the manual, that would probably be helpful
Push Shift and then the Help-Arrow will occur!!