Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
dumpling321
Abandonia nerd

Thumbs down

:help: i started a post abot the 7th guest on favorite oldies and newbies but it's really gotten off topic so i'll ask here i'll tell you my problems with dosbox, dos prompt, and straight from the cd consecutively i also have 2 computers my room computer (windows me) and my office computer (windows xp)

dosbox-
no matter what driver i choose i get an error message saying i havn't chosen the right audio drivers i have gotten it to work once with tandy chosen but it stays on the incert cd1 screen even if i have cd1 in but the music did work

dos prompt (room)
it will only start if i have soundblaster chosen with every other driver i get an error messageit has voice but no music

straight off cd-
i start it through my computer c:/id/t7g the office computer works the same as dos prompt (vocals no music) but my room computer starts and all it does is show a black screen with a strip of static at the top iv'e tried using vdm sound (in office) and all iv'e gotten is a message saying groovie.ini isn't configured right

i think i've explained everything if anythings unclear ask and i'll try to explain it better
dumpling321 is offline                         Send a private message to dumpling321
Old 28-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Gamefreak

Play the game in DosBox only if you try the Dos prompt of Windows XP, which is not really Dos compatible.
In DosBox you need to mount the CD-Rom along with the directory where the game is installed. Let's say you installed The 7th Guest on the drive C: in the folder 7thguest. Type following in DosBox at the start:
mount c c:\7thguest
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
(assuming that the letter of your CD-Rom is D)
Then you just need to choose a sound card and a music card, and as you mounted the CD-Rom too you should have no problems to load the MIDI drivers off it when you start the game.

Old 28-12-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
dumpling321
Abandonia nerd

could you clarify i dont quite understand how to mount the cdrom
dumpling321 is offline                         Send a private message to dumpling321
Old 28-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Gamefreak

What is there not to understand? Just type in DosBox what I wrote in the bold font and that's it.

Old 28-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
dumpling321
Abandonia nerd

do i type
mount c c:/id
mount d d:/ t- cdrom (i dont quite understand the t- cdrom part iv'e never mounted d before)
what do you do after that
do you type
c:
cd/t7g
t7g
like usual or do you do something different
Old 29-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Gamefreak

You wrote in the first post that you chose the driver and started the game in DosBox already, so you should know already how to go to the folder of the installed game.
Anyway, after you mount the folder of the game and the CD-drive with
mount c c:\7thguest
mount d d:\ -t cdrom

you need to go to the folder of the installed game with
c: and type install where you cna choose the sound card and the music card. Then you just type t7g (it's t7g.bat, a batch file to start the game) and the game should start. Questions?

Old 29-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
dumpling321
Abandonia nerd

but what exactly is the -t cdrom part dosbox wont recognize it as there would it be different on my computer
Old 29-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
Gamefreak

-t cdrom command-line parameter is for mounting especially the CD-drives. Of course if you have a different letter for your CD drive then replace the d:\ with a different letter. The d in front of it is just a letter assigned to DosBox so it knows what it mounted and where to find it.

Old 29-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
dumpling321
Abandonia nerd

i still get the message couldn't load the sound driver
Old 29-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

DOSBox emulate a SoundBlaster card even if you don't have one in your computer, so make sure you select that option in the setup. k: