Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Do you ever though of writing a book?
Yeah sure, In fact I'm writing one now 11 26.83%
Yes, I thinking about that but not yet started 9 21.95%
It was just a thought, nothing serious 7 17.07%
No, I rather read them 12 29.27%
Books are evil, burn them all! 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #11
Danny252
I have a custom title!

well, Indignus, I'll check our... 'library' (also known as my parents bedroom) and see if we have any of those.. theres alot of good books in there.

I have thought about writing once or twice, just never quite got finger to keyboard in word.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:37 AM   #12
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I've written about 30k words of a novel...

I've been working on it in my head since I was a kid. Still really rough, but I think it has potential. Maybe.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 09-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #13
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

If you want to show of your writing just make a thread in art, there's already been a discussion on where writing should go and the conclusion was in the art forum.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 09-06-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I have written two books.
The first one was more of an exercise in technique, the second one was more serious counting about 2000 pages in Word. Sadly by the time I finished it I had grown to hate it. I liked the idea and the situation, but not the way it had turned out in the end. So I took a kind of sabbatical from writing and devoted my time to thinking up new ideas. I think I have now got enough ideas to start writing the story from scratch.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well I started writing some dozen years ago.

So far I have finished two books (avout 30 are in the making - but I doub't they'll ever be finished).
None of this was published yet :angry:

But I also wrote a lot of short stories (about 400 all in all).
Around 40 of my short stories were published (different magazines).
And 8 of them even made it to the anthology of contemporary Slovene student artists.
12 of them can also be found in a published book where I published them with 5 other authors (it was a joined project).

but to be hones I haven't written anything within the past two years (ever since I started working).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #16
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh yes I've written serveral short stories aswell.
I won a few awards, two times first place and three times third place.
The thing is these short stories were always written for a competition and the storylines were thus always set within the framework of the competition (the competition defined the length, the ammount of locations, characters, technique or the subject)
While this did give some interesting stories (like a 5-page story with only one character set in one room) it didn't give me much creative breathingspace and thus didn't reflect what I actually wanted to write about.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #17
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

WOW!

Sebatianos, Stroggy --- CONGRATULATIONS! k:

I didn't thought there are succesful authors here with award winning and actually published novells... :blink:

This topic is going very well I think

If I may ask, could you share some of your work with us? Of course if you have english versions... :whistle:

Well, my second book is mainly based upon Freelancer. I couldn't help it, the game universe just carried me away.
The story in a nutshell:
In the future humans colonize Mars. Then in a big Mars-Earth war, the martians flee to another galaxy, and some other people fleing the war to another.
The ex martians became the Ruthelans(named from their leader), the refugees became the Chymerians(named from the galaxy they fleed to), and the old earthlings became Terrans. The war continued for long across the galaxies with huge casualties. In the middle of the biggest clash ever, a huge detonation came from nowhere and blew away the fighting ships in a flash, and the whole Omega solar system. Just after that, the two frightened sides signed the peace treaty, but the war continued with politics and spying and so on... The creator of the universe grew weary of the war and decided to wipe out the human race, unless they prove that the humans actually worthy of living. A "hunter" (something like a freelancer) is the chosen, he have to geather one of every faction of humans, and together they must prove human kind's wothiness through several challenges traveling across space on board of revolutionary ship...
The books universe is mainly based upon Freelancer, but I very much modified everything, so you wont even notice

If I'll ever have time, I'll translate it and show it to ya! k:
(internet translation is not avalible in hungarian to english, and if it is my book will sound horrible and funny becouse the huge differences of the grammar...)

Please contiune...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 09-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #18
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Jun 9 2005, 06:46 AM
I've thought about writing a book but with the marks I get on my english exams in the creative writing sections I'm not sure it would be such a good idea.
Ah Scarecrow don't feel that way, just run with it..if it doesn't sell keep trying you never know. I got about 6 rejection notices before someone finally bought one of my pieces, but sometimes it just takes a while. I had a teacher that used to give me bad marks on my writing assignments, and then I would turn it into another professor and get great marks. its quite a ramble but point is don't let them get ya down, just keep on typing

As for me I got a few very small magazine articles under my belt, a notebook of writing ideas, my business/economics essays and working on 4 books Nothing that has given me an early retirement and a movie deal yet..but you never know.

Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #19
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, like i said in other topics, now i'm writing my thesis , but i'm also writing a Fantasy Book (a masterpiece that should be better than Lord of the Rings... )

I made also some short stories and many poems in italian and in spanish, but i never participated at competitions.

In my mind there are almost two books ready to be started, but i'm very slow in writing cause i like to hide in my stories many subliminal messages and philosophical concepts, so i don't know when i'll start and finish them...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #20
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

I think the hardest part is finishing chapter one. You get a good idea for a story and you go..yeah I am going to write this and you sit down and just start jotting notes.

I usually start chapter 1 and then get stuck trying to put it all together.

My collection of Chapter 1's is quite extensive, I got about 4 file drawers of them
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian