Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #11
Capo
Unconventional member

In Cina the biggest telephone company lost 8 MILLIONS clients in the last month.

Guess they all throw away their smartphone

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 22-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

It's not that difficult to contain it, if public health services do their job. And it's immensely cheaper for the economy than letting it spread, for the people who are apparently so concerned about stopping the economy for a couple of weeks.

The poster child is S Korea, although their numbers still reached high, because they had one super-spreader. Still they follow the right approach, they have contained it, and they never needed to lock down the country.

https://facebook.com/groups/16572085...54627974766923

China is another example of how to keep it out, now that they have opened back up after bringing it under control. And also of how to contain it when it's out of control, which is the problem most Western European countries have now.

There are even better examples. Vietnam has to date 106 cases, sharing a border and multiple daily air shuttles with China. They monitor the borders, quarantine every case, track where they've been, disinfect affected areas, etc. Just like Korea and now China.

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/mar...es-626274.html

Sadly it is Europe who's spreading it worldwide now and has turned it into a pandemic, when it had already been contained at the source.

We can still contain it, but many countries are now in the situation that Hubei was when they locked down, or much worse. So in those countries a full lockdown is needed, because it's too late because it wasn't kept out (governments didn't even want to monitor tourists because it had too much economic impact; now they have much more impact).

With the right measures it can still be stopped, and then we can move to a guarded normality, to wait and see not just if there are advances in vaccines, but what happens in every other country, and help contain it one by one.
Old 22-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
florianix
Abandonia nerd

I hope there will be only very few people left who still think its just a better version of the flu.

In fact this is more comparable to the spanish flu 1918-1920 (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu).

The Corona virus *mostly* kills old people, but younger people are NOT invincible either.

And only real assh***s would think "hey, I'm young enough so it will not affect me - why should I give a shit about others?".
That would be worse than older people saying "Hey, I'm old - why should I give a shit about global warming?".

We are on lockdown in bavaria since yesterday, and most people now understood that without such measures there are only a few days left before we would for sure get into a situation like they have in parts of Italy now.

And most countries have a health system where this is happening much easier than here (approx 27 or so intensive care beds/respirators per 100k inhabitants).
Everything above that value will lead to a situation where people can't be treated any more and will have to be sorted out to die (read what a "Triage" means).

I'm especially surprised that several comments above are from members located in countries where the capacity of the health system is only a fraction of that (I checked two of those countries and read about values of less than 2 beds/100k.

Thats nothing less than a (temporary) loss of our civil society.

To understand this only requires basic mathematical understanding/common sense.
I hope people stop posting this uninformed nonsense.
This is dangerous and will lead other misinformed people to act silly and cost lives in the end.

This is the first time I'm actually happy that this forum is almost dead so that there won't be many people will be misguided by stupid posts.

Last edited by florianix; 22-03-2020 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Typo
florianix is offline                         Send a private message to florianix
Old 23-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #14
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
2 million people dead, and you say "THERE IS NO REAL DANGER"
While I disagree with twillight about "no real danger", I cannot help to notice that number there quite alike to the common cold. Or flu. Except obvious exclusion of elder population that, it seems, have much worse consequences with it. Just as Italy shown, unfortunately. Still, I think too, that treating it as "global pandemy" is wrong - you need to be extremely cautious, if you are over 60, but that's it. Current self-inducing depression can be much worse on the long run.

Japo, while I agree that total quarantine could be the solution of the problem, I doubt it's truly possible. And as my friends tells me, USA, for example, don't understand the urgency, so it's all minuses without any plusses. *shrug* I dunno. We'll see.
Old 23-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
- you need to be extremely cautious, if you are over 60, but that's it.
A friend of mine, 38 years of age, is in the local hospital right now connected to a machine to make him breath

Old 24-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
florianix
Abandonia nerd

Talking

There is two big differences between COVID-18 and an ordinary flu:
1) The probability it will kill an infected person is much higher.
2) There is no vaccine and also no medicine to cure it available (yet).

I guess by now even the simplest minds should have seen what is happening in Italy and several other countries and understood that this "its harmless and just another flu" stuff is absolute nonsense.

And will hopefully stop spreading that BS in forums/social media.

Last edited by florianix; 24-03-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Typo
florianix is offline                         Send a private message to florianix
Old 24-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #17
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

There's also the possibility of the virus mutating. I'm no biologist/virologist but I'd think the more the virus spreads, the higher the possibility of a dangerous mutation.
Old 26-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
florianix
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
... They pretend there is to strip you from your rights, make you believe statariums, soldiers on the street is for your own sake, and science can not be trusted, you must turn to their bronze-age god - it is NOT.
There is NO real scientist who is denying that this situation IS serious.
About the politicians - many of them might be stupid muppets indeed, but in this case they should not be blamed for taking what the scientists say serious and taking the right actions. Especially not those who also did that early enough. Not even the muppets.

Surprisingly its more ordinary people who are misinformed and believe stupid nonsense when compared to politicians (I'm not talking about some politicians from the americas here who still tend to neglect it...)

Also surprising how many of those idiots are talking about "scientific" reasons obviously not know anything about science themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
And all of them 80+, ...
Just read that the deputy british ambassador in your country passed away due to the virus at the age of 37.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
There's also the possibility of the virus mutating. I'm no biologist/virologist but I'd think the more the virus spreads, the higher the possibility of a dangerous mutation.
Indeed. Plus, it is also much more infectious compared with the flu.

Hope all you guys and your close ones stay healthy and are doing well during those troubled times.
Old 26-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
florianix
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
A friend of mine, 38 years of age, is in the local hospital right now connected to a machine to make him breath
Hope your friend is getting better soon. Am keeping my fingers crossed for him.
Old 26-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #20
Capo
Unconventional member

He is out of danger right now, thank you