Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Default Four questions for a university project

My wife needs a bit of help for her university project. Could as many of you as possible answer these four questions?

Could you:
1. Name a good video game that you have played
2. Briefly explain why it was good/entertaining/exciting
3. Why did you choose to play that particular game
4. What comes to your mind when you recall that game (e.g a character, music, graphics, storyline...)

The project they are doing is for an organization that developes a game from a virtual realization of Malmö from 1692. http://www.malmo1692.se/Sv/index.htm

They'd be extremely grateful for your answers, and you don't have to write a lot. You can either post your answers here, PM me, or send them to kasia@herd.fi

Thanks y'all!
Old 29-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

1: Ultima Underworld.
2: More than anything, the atmosphere. The dimly lit corridors, the music, the exploring bit where you knew whatever it was lurking in the shadows it wasn't of this earth. The puzzles added to it for sure but most of all, the entire atmosphere. It was also totally cool how you needed food and sleep without that ruining the gaming experience.
3: I watched a mate playing it for a bit, I had a short go at it and was sold. Had to dig it up and play it through.
4: See 2.
Old 29-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
saibot216
Super Freak

1. Neverhood
2. Had a fun soundtrack, fun puzzles, hinted at what to do next (some adventure games don't), did something new with the entire game being in claymation.
3. I was looking for an adventure game and the claymation style brought me in.
4. The animations and the fun music, as well as some of the puzzles.
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 30-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

1. Silent Hill 2.

2. Silent Hill 2 is good for a variety of reasons, a lot of them are tied to the theme it represents, that is survival horror. In the first place it's a great atmospheric game coupled with a chilly soundtrack. You explore supposedly a resort town, called Silent Hill, but it's devoid of almost any human life. There's not that big of a story going on, but it is revealed gradually as you advance. Every time you encounter a human, you feel like you've done some serious progress and this brings immense satisfaction. You're wondering what he is going to say about the predicament and will listen to his words with interest.

Silent Hill is also a world full of twisted secrets, and even though it sounds wrong, I enjoyed uncovering this disturbing information. It's a sign of a good structured story. The combat is not that great and it isn't supposed to be. The sole fact that there are monsters determined to kill is enough to make this game a complete horror package.

3. I think there's a reason why I chose to play Silent Hill 2, but I can't really put my finger on it. Okay one factor, is that once, I played a version of the first Silent Hill, which I didn't finish, so I was curious how the series would fare with better graphics. But if we're talking about the reason that kept me playing, I think the premise of being isolated in a town where you can explore different real-life facilities like schools, hospitals, towers, etc., but decayed and horrifying, and the fact that the horror is not overly gory, with well designed monsters - really clicked with me.

4. First to mind comes the main character, James Sunderland. It's a very good main character, relatively speaking, and most people can associate with him easily. But that doesn't matter - it matters that I can associate easily with him and I always have trouble with that in games, movies, books or other entertainment products.
Old 30-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpsi View Post
an organization that developes a game from a virtual realization of Malmö from 1692
I'll go straight to the problem:

With such setting, an adventure game first comes to my mind. It could be quickly transformed into an educational game (history-oriented).
Second idea: Malmö was a member of Hanse, so how about a new Der Patrizier...?

On a side note: I wish I could work on such virtual model (or a game) of my city...
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking UW

See post #2 of Mighty Midget.