Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-04-2005, 04:37 AM   #1
LuckyLlama

Hello all.
I have recently re-discovered an old favorite of mine: Zork Nemesis. Unfortunately, I can't run the Windows 95 version through XP, even with compatibility. So I decided to install the dos version through Command Promt, and run it with dosbox.
This is what it gave me:

Detected (xxxxx) bytes of available memory

Detected VESA bios version is: 2.00
Video card does not support 640x480 at 16 bits per pixel

Your video card may not have sufficient video memory for that mode

Is there any way to configure dosbox so I can run this game?
Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I also tried running it with VDMS, to no avail
LuckyLlama is offline                         Send a private message to LuckyLlama
Old 17-04-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Aaaah, Zork Nemesis, possibly my all-time favourite. However, I can't get it to run on my laptop which uses XP. It just brings up the error message that it can't detect the CD Rom. This is a Windows game, isn't it? So I don't think you can use VDM or dosbox to make it run. There are a few early Windows games that seem to defy all attempts to get to work on XP, and they won't work on dosbox either as they're not DOS games. However, a neighbour of mine - with the first version of XP - got Zork Nemesis to run successfully. I installed it for him and it just worked without any tweaking. The only glitch was that it froze on one of the animations. We turned down the video acceleration a notch and then it worked perfectly.

EDIT
Sorry....I reread your post and I noticed that you're using a DOS version. Hope someone can offer some help. I've never tried to configure a DOS file in Xp, but can you go into properties, then compatibility and select the 640x480 resolution on the game.exe? Alternatively, in the dosbox, configuration file you can choose the resolution you wish to run the game in.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 18-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
LuckyLlama

Quote:
I've never tried to configure a DOS file in Xp, but can you go into properties, then compatibility and select the 640x480 resolution on the game.exe? Alternatively, in the dosbox, configuration file you can choose the resolution you wish to run the game in.
No, I tried both of your suggestions, but neither worked out. Thanks for the effort, though!

Any other suggestions out there? I'd love to play this game again!
LuckyLlama is offline                         Send a private message to LuckyLlama