Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
SetAbominae

Default Looking for a Game

Hey Guys im so glad this site exists!

Im looking for an old game from about the 90s which I probably played on a win 95? PC from a shareware/freeware cd when I was a kid. I think it was some kind of RPG.

I can remember the following things:

i played in some kind of maze
graphics were kinda pixelated and view was 2D top down (as far as i know the graphics of ultima 5 seem similar) (i think the floor was red and there was some black or brown fog of war which covered the tiles you didnt uncover)
sometimes you encounter other beings like squires or wizards or even trolls/ogres and maybe an amazon? but i dont know if you could actually see them or they just spawned on you like pokemon
Sometimes you had to fight them but you could also ask them to join you
you could step on snakes (i think they were green) and sometimes one of your partymembers died from it. I remember passing snakes just to find a dead end and dying on the way back cause it bit me then.

I hope this is enough to recognize the game I'm looking for.

Greetings
SetAbominae

Last edited by SetAbominae; 02-01-2019 at 11:25 PM.
SetAbominae is offline                         Send a private message to SetAbominae
Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Too little info. Except "Shareware", "Party" and "Snakes" parts, it can be virtually anything. Try to remember something more distinct: is it rogue-like or "fixed" RPG? (i.e. labirynth makes anew each time you play, or always the same?). What interface do you have? (Mouse clicks, keyboard, windowses, auto-map - all such things). What is your intended goal? (Descent to 50th level, find lost ring, pursue the Dragon?..) What is your combat (Bumping into enemy, Final Fantasy fixed parties combat, full tactical view?). What about magic? (Select from list, read scrolls, collecting runes?..)

Let me do some wild guesses of popular shareware entries of the era while you are answering:

Castle of the Winds. Most probably, it's not it, as there is no party and different theme, but dungeon is here, and maybe it will trigger some thoughts about interface.

Exile. Party, sometimes background, dungeons, and I am pretty sure there are snakes.

Mordor. Dungeon and party, and snakes are there, indeed.
Old 25-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
SetAbominae

Hey thanks for the Help.

If I remember correctly it was a Game on this CD:

https://archive.org/details/GamePowe...PPComputer1995

I tried to run all the games via Dosbox but there are some which need Win 3.1 i guess because i cant run them on dosbox.

The Game Exile: Escape from the pit looks similar, but i can't remember other party members being shown. The game I played had no special names for the characters, they were usually called "Squire" or something else. And I can remember the Squire looking a bit like some gay version of he-man, standing upright and holding a sword in both hands (not like a battle stance, more like a guard). I can't remember the purpose of the game or if it was rogue like, cause I was around 7 or 8 years old when i played it and i didn't understand english that much . I Remember walking around in some kind of dungeon bumping into creatures that may join you or not. I can remember that you would see a big picture of them on the right side of the screen, when you were talking/fighting to/with them, while your character was on the left. I think i can remember that you can choose who fights the opponent, and i can remember the squire having a stat of 2, while the ogre/troll had 5?

I can remember a message being shown if you stepped on said snakes like "You stepped (onto/into) a snake(pit), X fell dead"...or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Too little info. Except "Shareware", "Party" and "Snakes" parts, it can be virtually anything. Try to remember something more distinct: is it rogue-like or "fixed" RPG? (i.e. labirynth makes anew each time you play, or always the same?). What interface do you have? (Mouse clicks, keyboard, windowses, auto-map - all such things). What is your intended goal? (Descent to 50th level, find lost ring, pursue the Dragon?..) What is your combat (Bumping into enemy, Final Fantasy fixed parties combat, full tactical view?). What about magic? (Select from list, read scrolls, collecting runes?..)

Let me do some wild guesses of popular shareware entries of the era while you are answering:

Castle of the Winds. Most probably, it's not it, as there is no party and different theme, but dungeon is here, and maybe it will trigger some thoughts about interface.

Exile. Party, sometimes background, dungeons, and I am pretty sure there are snakes.

Mordor. Dungeon and party, and snakes are there, indeed.
SetAbominae is offline                         Send a private message to SetAbominae
Old 30-01-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Oh, my favorite, German broken shareware CD! (And I even doesn't speak Deutch...)

Actually, I checked everything, and found nothing. One Dungeon Master clone, named Dungeon Warrior, and no RPGs with bird's eye view. :/ Are you _sure_ that it's right CD?

I didn't check several German games though, that are Windows and requires installation. I assumed by your reply that game _is_ English, right?

Also, you totally can check Win3.1 games in DOSBox. Because Win3.1 itself is DOS program. You need installed Win3.1 pack though - and I believe right there, in Abandonia, you can found it somewhere in the forums (check this thread).

Wait, it _wasn't_ really this DM clone, right? Because reading your description, it _can_ be it, even if your description is misleading... Check the screen, please?
Attached Images
File Type: png dungeon_000.png (7.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 30-01-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 25-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
SetAbominae

Hey it's me again!

thanks for the reply and for checking all teh games but I can't open the Image. I can just look at the thumbnail because I somehow have to log in again if I want to open the image. But it looks damn familiar to me. Can you tell me the Name of the Game?

I think it was no german game, cause I learned the word squire from this game and I tie it to this game.

It could be another CD but I can't remember the name. I remember playing Bermuda syndrome and alone in the dark. I think I played battle isle 2 or something similar too. I couldn't find all these games on the HEPP CD so I guess there had to be another CD.

Other Games I can somehow remember being on the CD:

Black Torne
Magic Carpet
A Game where you fly around as some kind of space ship in a desert like environment. There were enemy ships called Scarab. You could find weapons in some kind of loot crates or inside tombs. 3D.
Another game where you were some kind of defence force spaceship where you defend a town agains other space ships. 3D. All taking part at night.

Last edited by SetAbominae; 25-02-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 27-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I forgot already. But let me check...

It's "Dungeon Warrior", in dir S059.

Sorry, I cannot confirm or deny other games, because I seek for specific one, dismissing everything known or not matching your description (and of course I know BlackThorne and Magic Carpet). And I cannot bring myself to dig this disc completely now, sorry. Without any list, and half-Deutch, it's too much for me.

I did quick scan by file names though. There isn't neither Magic Carpet, nor BlackThorne on this disc (if only they not packed or masked, of course).