Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Approved Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Toonstruck

Yes, so another one of my favorite games to play was by Virgin Interactive entitled Toonstruck. You play a cartoonist (Christopher Loyd) and you get sucked into your cartoon world you've created by your favorite character Flux Wildly. Does any of this ring a bell? Also, what defines a game as abandoned? If the company does not create the game anymore, but it is still sold randomly at a number ofplaces because they have backed up copies, is the game abandoned? Any help with this game at all? Thanks!

Without Wax,
ReamusLQ
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 23-12-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
bjbrains2002
Abandonia nerd

here http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Toonstruck
bjbrains2002 is offline                         Send a private message to bjbrains2002
Old 23-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

This game is way too new to be abandonned k:
Old 23-12-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

Actually it is not. It has passed the 7 year byline. But it is a pity it isn't ABW.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 23-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

So if you can still buy a game, it is considered NOT ABW, even if the company doesn't make it anymore? I mean, I bought my entire Quest for Glory Collection online at a site that had a bunch of old games that were never sold that they had found in their stock, yet the QFG series is ABW. So, what exactly makes a game ABW?
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 24-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I didn't play Toonstruck, but I played Cool World, made by the movie, perhaps even there was a comic. Totaly same story.

And there was a Comix Zone for SEGA.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 24-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
hanging
Forum hobbit

Send a message via MSN to hanging

Quote:
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Dec 24 2004, 12:50 AM
So if you can still buy a game, it is considered NOT ABW, even if the company doesn't make it anymore? I mean, I bought my entire Quest for Glory Collection online at a site that had a bunch of old games that were never sold that they had found in their stock, yet the QFG series is ABW. So, what exactly makes a game ABW?
if a company doesnt support it - then it technically is abandoned - just if there is a way to buy it.. Most decent abandonware sites will put the buy link up..

it's not all about free games ya know

1: What is abandonware?

Abandonware is a piece of software (for any system, games or applications) which are no longer sold and/or supported by their copyright holder.

2: What about age and resellers?

Age does not enter into whether or not a game is abandonware. Many sites put a voluntary age limit on their games, but it is entirely voluntary.
Resellers also do not enter into a games abandonware status. A game might have 20 left-over copies at an online store or real world bargain bin, but that does not mean the copyright holder is still selling it. Again, some sites voluntarily link to resellers in order to give them support,.

(from ARP)

What is Abandonware?
Abandonware is an abbreviation for 'abandoned software'. That basically says it all. It is commonly defined as any piece of software (i.e. games and apps) which has been discontinued by its copyright holder. That means it isn't sold in the shops anymore. So the question if something is Abandonware or not can usually be easily answered by a quick check of the publisher's online store.
Some people also add a rule like 'older than three years' or 'older than five years' to the definition. The age of a game doesn't necessarily have anything to do with its availability though, therefore these 'age rules' can only be used as rough guidelines, but not as actual argument for or against something being Abandonware - the only thing that matters is the availability.

(from TANN)
hanging is offline                         Send a private message to hanging
Old 28-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Clone
Lurker

Does anyone know if the adventure game Toonstruck is abandonware? I have been searching it all over but cannot find any information..
Clone is offline                         Send a private message to Clone
Old 28-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Clone@Apr 28 2005, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know if the adventure game Toonstruck is abandonware? I have been searching it all over but cannot find any information..
For sale at http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/toonstrpr.htm
Old 28-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

Ha haa, I got it from a charity shop a few weeks ago!

Haven't played it much though. Quite hard to get working in XP, and the sound is pretty mangled. Of course, that could just be down to my old PC... should be getting a new one soon
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa