Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #11
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

They DID release prey... so chances exist...
Old 15-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Incidentally, they started working on Prey at about the same time as on DNF.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
dosraider
Dismembered.

I may hope that *IF* DNF ever comes out it will be a lot better than Prey ....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If Duke catch his prey, this will make the development of the game that much longer...

Time needed to cut the prey in meat stacks and everything...
Old 16-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You know, if it ever does get released, it will be terrible. No game can live up to this much anticipation.
Old 16-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #16
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Especially if it has been rewritten so many times. It might be a fresh idea the first time, but then after all the rewritings it gets chewn over too much.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 18-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

I never got what the big deal over the delayed production of DNF was. There are a lot of games that spend just as much time in production, and honestly it's not that rare that they turn out great. Team Fortress 2, for a recent example, spent about a decade in production and went through change after change and switched engines etc. and it never became the internet mockery that Duke has been subjected to.

I guess it's fun to rip on it for being so "late", but delayed production is not rare, it's just that you don't usually realize it or read tired jokes about it every other day. Of course DNF is coming out, and quite frankly I'm looking forward to the quirkiness and character and over-the-top fun that has been largely missing from the currently over-saturated shooter market, the same way Duke 3D brought it to the Doom-clone world of shooters in the 90s.

Sorry... I'm just compelled to defend Duke. It's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999
Old 18-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #18
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Its not necessairly the delayed production that has made the game infamous, it was all the hype each year the game was supposedly going to come out that really pushed things over the edge. The claims that it would be even better than Half-Life and that you could do so much more in this type of FPS, then ever before.

Especially after the whole Darkitania fiasco, and how that game turned out, you can totally understand why a lot of gamers have lost hope of this game ever seeing the light of day, much less when a new story comes out about DNF coming out soon!!!

Its pretty much similar to if Axl Rose will ever release Chinese Democracy, its pretty much the same sort of distain and joke in the hard rock communities and pretty much a good majority of those users and buyers all know that after all the hype that has gone through with that album, they know that album will be no where near as a "classic" as the other GNR albums.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest

Last edited by DeathDude; 18-02-2008 at 06:58 PM.
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 18-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

I suppose that makes sense, although you have to admit that that ever since they scrapped the 2001 version they've definitely toned down the self-hype and have been very frugal with their announcements and will never really boast, especially not to Daikatana levels of boasting.

I think any current hype tied to it is mostly community-driven and not really a product of 3D Realms. I'd think otherwise if they were going on about revolutionizing first person shooters and how their new game will feature everything from your wildest dreams.. but for years now they seem pretty humble and realistic to me. The attitude seems more like they just want to make a new Duke game that people like, as opposed to blowing everyone's mind and telling the world to "suck it down".

As far it being as good or classic as Duke 3D was for it's time... I dunno... I just wanna save some babes from aliens.. and I'm willing to give it a shot and look at it objectively once it's finished, and separate the product from the hype. I think if people were able to separate reviews and hype and media and message board scrutiny from the games.. then people would find themselves having more fun.

Last edited by zafo999; 18-02-2008 at 05:39 PM.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
Infinitenoodles

I refuse to believe that this game will ever be released until I'm actually playing it. Considering the number of times we've been told this game is coming, I find it difficult to be anything but skeptical.

Are any of the older duke nukem games abandonware? I only tried a duke nukem game once, and only barely. I'm curious if the older ones are any good.
Infinitenoodles is offline                         Send a private message to Infinitenoodles