Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #51
Lusitano deLorean

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Coltyhuxx @ May 9 2005, 03:20 PM) [snapback]105652[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Autoduel was a hard hard game to get started (for me, at least). It was one of those games I played over and over again, trying to get some salvage out of the Arena and ever so slowly making minimal progress. I remember barely making enough money to recoup the money I'd spent on ammunition. Only once or twice did I make it out to the highway with a decent car. k:
[/b]
I remember when I started playing it, I did a lot of Amateur Nights to win initial cash, studying Mechanics in-between, then building a decent chASSis-kicker to clear roads around New York and pick up salvage to sell off. (Higher Mechanic skills == more money from salvage.)
My "play style" was(/is!) "exploratory", so I took my time learning the roads, going off-path, and keeping an eye on my power plant!! They say "fools rush in", and it DOES apply in Autoduel!

I remember discovering TWO important things:

(1) the tactic of ALWAYS keeping an eye on your radar, and as you get closer, CREEP toward your nearest target, in the MIDDLE of the road. With little practice, you eventually get to a point where ONE PIXEL's worth (or width) of the target appears at the edge of the screen, and they're NOT moving. Usually you're already lined up for a DIRECT HIT, so FIRE AWAY! I took out many cars this way, saving myself the hassle of prolonged combat, and the expense of repairs to car and self. (Admittedly, a sneaky, almost cowardly way, but when you're outnumbered or outgunned, you take any advantage you can to survive!)

(2) HEX EDITING for cash. Pure, digital cheating.
For the PC, the most essential MS-provided tool you can use is FC.exe (File Compare) followed by DEBUG.exe. ..and you need to know how to translate into/out of Hexadecimal. :]
If you wanna get a quick bout of shoot-em-up fun, HEX EDIT yourself a fortune, and make a set of cars, one for each Division at the Arena, and go Duelling for money and fame. Road-policing is for vigilantes, anyway.

"AutoDuel - Where the Right of Way goes to the Biggest Guns"
( .. though I hafta say, "brains and tactics" come in rather handy too! )

*** Drive Offensively! ***

Lu'no deLor'

"She's my armored limo, my Gallega -- Lg Power plant to pull her around, decent set o' guns to trash-talk, and plenty extra space. She may LOOK slow, but you'd be surprised!"
"Falcon is my mid-size 'speed' rig -- OilJet out back, to give 'em the slip; MGs both sides for 'drive-by'; and a heavy gun up-front to shoot through with. (I'd *like* under-floor compartments for... 'stuff'!!)"
"Then there's Puff, my scout vehicle -- compact, med power plant, good armor, twin front MGs, SmokeScreen out back, a little room to put salvage."

Old 30-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #52
Bastos

Intresting game, never heard of it before.....

Will definitly try this one out.....

Thnx k:
Bastos is offline                         Send a private message to Bastos
Old 24-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #53
Casublett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kon-Tiki @ May 7 2005, 10:28 PM) [snapback]105148[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review
[/b]
I used to play this on my trusty C-64... And I never got far.

I tried sooooo hard to like this game and forgive it all its flaws, but I never could. The controls of the driving part were just too bad.
Casublett is offline                         Send a private message to Casublett
Old 24-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #54

unfortunately, this game is not actually abandonded yet. i have spoken with steve jackson via email and the copyright is still actively registered with the company who bought out origin systems. i have been attempting to pry more information out of the company in question, i'll get back with everyone.

and mr. jackson has interest in producing a modernized 3d version. but theres a lot of hurdles that require jumping before that can happen.

Old 25-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #55
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What company is that? We might want to contact them in order to negotiate for a permission.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #56
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 25 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]313066[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
What company is that? We might want to contact them in order to negotiate for a permission.
[/b]
Steve Jackson Games
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 25-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #57
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

According to Wikipedia, the company that bought out Origin was Electronic Arts... so my question still stands: who exactly holds the copyrights to this computer game right now?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #58
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

According to wikipedia, Steve Jackson Games have requested abandonware sites to remove the game from their archives. Appearantly, they are holding the rights.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 25-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #59
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Sep 25 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]313075[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
According to wikipedia, Steve Jackson Games have requested abandonware sites to remove the game from their archives. Appearantly, they are holding the rights.
[/b]
Any action needed !?
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 28-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #60
nijineko

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Romano @ Sep 25 2007, 05:54 AM) [snapback]313096[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Sep 25 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]313075[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Any action needed !?
[/b][/quote]

okay, sorry about that earlier. i was the guest that posted about the copyrights. i've emailed with mr. steve jackson, and they have tried to get the copyright for autoduel pried out of electronic arts hands, but so far to no avail. EA gives them the runaround, and won't tell them who the responsible person / office is. apparently the license agreement was pretty extensive, and they can't make a computer based autoduel game without getting the rights back from EA, or something similar. they are exploring alternatives, but won't announce anything officially until it is doable for certain. i believe that they have an ongoing discussion about it on sjg's forums.

to clarify, steve jackson games owns the rest of the rights to the car wars / autoduel universe, just not the computer game rights. specifically, the autoduel game.

anyhow, the deal is that they have not abandoned autoduel, and are actively persuing it. even if EA technically owns the right to the computer game, and is not doing anything with it. as such they are requesting that it not be considered abandonware. luckily for me, my dad still has his copy of autoduel. =D
nijineko is offline                         Send a private message to nijineko