Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #41
einstein999999

I used to play the piano and trumpet, but I haven't had access to either instrument in over a year. I miss playing them...
einstein999999 is offline                         Send a private message to einstein999999
Old 20-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #42
r3tr0g4m3r

I play on recorder, keyboard and saxophone.

r3tr0g4m3r
r3tr0g4m3r is offline                         Send a private message to r3tr0g4m3r
Old 30-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #43
cjk1995
Forum hobbit

Only piano. And I want to learn how to play the guitar.
cjk1995 is offline                         Send a private message to cjk1995
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #44
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Piano and Classical Guitar (cos I'm just awesome)
Old 26-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #45
ShiverMeSideways

Hello there. I've been playing guitar now for almost two years and I'm still crap at it! :thumbs:

I also want to play the keyboards and the bass, hopefully when I'll have money to buy those things (which is probably when I'm 40). However, I still prefer the guitar. To me, it's the ultimate instrument. It screams, it squeals, it brings the freakin' house down, and it allows for a wide artistic expression. Of course, keyboards allows for even broader sounds, but to me, it just doesn't seem as rewarding as playing the guitar.

I usually go for the classic heavy metal guitar sound and style (although more towards thrash metal) but I also enjoy playing clean and then I employ more David Gilmourian style.

I've been trying for the last couple months to put up a heavy metal band, and of course, I have trouble with drummers and bass players. They're the hardest people to find and yet they stay the shortest time periods. Need just the drummer now, but I don't think you guys can help me out there :laugh: .
ShiverMeSideways is offline                         Send a private message to ShiverMeSideways
Old 26-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #46
Saccade
[BANNED]

Dave Gilmore?!

I used to have him for Live Performance Workshop with this guy called Guthry who, having sayed inside for so long as a child (he taught us how to play the theme from bagpuss instead of ripping and stuff - more fun) and practicing guitar, had totally neglected his teeth.
They were so rotten...
But he knew his phrygian from his dorian.

Dave used to turn up about 30 mins late with a runny nose saying things like "don't do drugs - they'll screw your career".
He was going out with the other bird from Buck's Fizz (not Cheryll Baker) who taught music business studies.
Coming from her, that wasn't great as she'd been fucked over by her manager for quite a lot of money...
She was quite bitter sometimes.

But the real let-down wasn't that we'd get visits from crap bands like Skunk Anansie, who'd _possibly_ be trying to teach us something, but I'm damned if I know what the hell it was...
The real let-down, and I should've known that no good would come of this from the very start, was that Bruce Dickinson was one of the chief instructors.
I took my Iron Maiden Vinyls along to the audition to get into the school, I was so excited about it.

Then he wasn't from Iron Maiden... He was from Little Angels (toured with Guns 'n' Roses) and he was a bit of a prick...

Keep practicing! Even if it's just to rock out to the track of the day and fuck up (also known as playing in harmony / busking / winging it / taking the monkey for a spank / while having it re-enact tea-parties and ride miniature bikes) the solo.
I may not be in a band any more, but I do love a good guitar battle...

[I'm not inbred, btw, but I do love the banjo]

I'm thinking of starting a new band, for fun, at some point. I will try to stay away from the drugs and sex (maybe a bit of sex, actually) and focus on the rock and roll this time around.
I think I'd like to play bass - it's more fun laying down the roots, pounding out some belly-ripping riffs; letting the grass grow itself and just enjoy the sun and the dirt.
Man - what I wouldn't give to be that age again...

I've got a grade 5 in the clarinet. (merit)

[ed]
I just had this really weird dream that made me think something and I spilled water all over my notepad, but the laptop's here.
It's kinda related.

I dreamed that Gordon Giltrap was smashing me over the head with a Washburn 12 string (how do I remember that detail..?) and just wouldn't stop...
Eventually it woke me up and I found that my hand was caught in my hair and I'd been pulling it.
But as my vision slowly focussed on the silhouette of my hand, I recalled that I felt and experienced something very similar when I got a little tooooo wasted one (or two) evenings. It was quite scary...

If Martial Art, Computer Games and Work are good expression of violence, then music is 10x more...
Right now, I reckon: exercise, games, doing stuff < loud music - probably not good for tinnitus, but wtf...
Put all of them together and you've got sex (helps to have a steady partner. or several if you don't mind regular trips to the STD clinic) and violence sublimated through expression.

Total euphoria.

Take drugs and drink too much and that euphoria is replaced with this daemon that makes you believe that you're having a good time, when really you're just destroying everything. Anti-Midas-Touch style... Everything turns to shit.

Then you make clouded judgement calls, stupid mistakes, that lead you into the fog and - before you know it - you're in the fucking military.

Military & Drugs = bad shit.
Music & Games = good shit.

I am going to have to be extra careful if I dabble with the dark arts again...
Killswitch Engage are awesome at mega-volume. I don't know any new music at all
Very Pantera...
Code:
        _____
        |   D
        |   |   R.I.P
        |   |  Dimebag
        \___|            _
          ||  _______  -( (-
          |_'(-------)  '-'
             |       /
      _____,-\__..__|_____

Dead, but loving it.
     Being a Cowboy from Hell n all.
Think I will go and join the LastFM group, even though I rarely play music on computers (maybe I should start, because I can have it much louder...).
It'd be good to see what everyone else listens to. Learn some new bands and stuff, since the cycles of music are due to come into alignment again and spawn a new innovation. Not really had one since manufactured bands...
Yeah, I reckon I have much to learn from you people with your strange customs and even stranger music and ideas of cutting-edge facial hair fashion.
That's touching... It's like First Contact with an alien life, but without the anal probe.

Hopefully, anyway...

So go join Abandonia's LastFM channel so I can steal your music.

[ed]

I just remembered - I don't remember if his name was Gilmore or not. But I think it was. I think the post explains that bit...

Last edited by Saccade; 27-08-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Hmmm... Why does that sound like a shitty marketing tie-in..?
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 27-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #47
The Bard
Abandonia Bard

Wait, ok, you totally lost me here. So do you actually know David Gilmour of the Pink Floyd or is it some other Dave Gilmour?
And do you have some tracks of your band or sth?

I play the guitar, for 10 years now, started off with classical, as a kid, finished 6 years of music school and then switched to rock. I mostly jam on my own, don't have a band, but I got a couple of friends that I play with, occasionally.
Old 27-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #48
ShiverMeSideways

Nah, sorry, Bard, but no recordings. I do have my solo stuff on display, but we haven't even got our original songs yet. We're still in the cover stages, 'cos they won't play the songs I compose for them even though they're fairly straightforward metal songs or ballads. Anyhoo, wish me luck in gettin' a drummer...
ShiverMeSideways is offline                         Send a private message to ShiverMeSideways
Old 28-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #49
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
Wait, ok, you totally lost me here. So do you actually know David Gilmour of the Pink Floyd or is it some other Dave Gilmour?
That's what Picard's saying, Bard - It's not Gimour, it's Gilmore...
I can't remember what band he was in, but I know he did a lot of solo stuff.

Last edited by Saccade; 28-08-2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: I'll look him up later - idk if he's still teaching at ACM
Old 28-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #50
Saccade
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeSideways View Post
Anyhoo, wish me luck in gettin' a drummer...
Here - have a drum kit. They make good bait in drummer traps.

Code:
 .-.,      ,--. ,--.
`/|~\     \__/T`--'     .       Snap your fingers;
x |`' __   ,-~^~-.___ ==I==     Snap your neck.
  |  |--| /       \__}  |
  |  |  |{   /~\   }    |
 /|\ \__/ \  \_/  /|   /|\
/ | \|  | /`~-_-~'X.\ //| \
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeSideways View Post
'cos they won't play the songs I compose for them even though they're fairly straightforward metal songs or ballads.
One of the simplest ways to encourage your band members to move past playing other people's songs is to make them think that the original material you've written is the result of a Jamming Session.

Just drop it in there and let the bassist write the bass part (encouraging and directing so that it's what you wanted - often better), the drummer whack out their own rhythm (they work better that way)...
Rhythm guitar needs to back you up and follow the chord progression of the bass in some way - you can help influence their modes and harmonic progression.

The singer, however, is usually some kinda primadonna.
That makes them, often, pretty mentally unstable - especially if they play an instrument as well. Expect them to receive all the credit for everything when you start approaching gig organisers and label rats.
It's easier to get them to sing lyrics they've written, unless it's a collaboration, and they don't really have a choice about what key or mode they sing in.

Yeah - Jamming's the way forward.

Good luck in your hunt for a Drummer. If you find a good one, it can make a world of difference to your songs and to your band, because of the steady beat and the amazing fills.

Last edited by Saccade; 28-08-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: formatting ascii