Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-11-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 26-01-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Tom Henrik is offline                         Send a private message to Tom Henrik
Old 29-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #2

Once you get to the crossroads (with the Eye upon the tower looking down on you - just look at the screen shot) start going south. You'll lose the game, but...
Let's just presume you'll get a laugh out of it, my friend!

Old 29-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #3
The Settler

Can this game be worth trying? Those text based games never really made an impact on me in the good old days. But I`m a Tolkien fan. Maybe I should give it a go now? But is it not hard to get all the commands right? Especially when you have spelling errors when typing in English, like me! :blink:
The only text based game I ever really played and finish, was good old Larry 1 and 2! k:
The Settler is offline                         Send a private message to The Settler
Old 01-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
Guest_Mickey Bitsko

i very much enjoyed playing this game, but did the reviewer really say:

All other games that have come out of the Lord of the Rings series recently are based on the movie, which is a poor attempt of putting a classic on to the silver screen.

I agree that most, if not all, of the games that have been based on Tolkien leave a lot to be desired, but to call the film "a poor attempt" is ludicrous.

Sorry, mate, but the films are brilliant.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

Don't bash the films, they were incredible, refrain from putting opinions centering on anything other than the game, in your review...

Yah, thanks for putting this up though, just another great game to the collection.
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord
Old 01-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #6

Don't mean to sound like I'm jumping on the reviewer. I thought he did a good job and his review made me want to play the game again (after what feels like 200 years since it came out!). I just couldn't let the comment about the films slip by unnoticed. They really are incredible achievements in filmmaking.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well a word from the Reviewer... ME.
Yes, I did say that about the film.
I knew most people would start complaining, because teh film was a huge succes and it's not a bad made movie, yet still...
I was really disapointed with the movie. First off they skipped my favorite character in the entire story - Tom Bobadilo (not the mention the willow that cathces the Hobbits...). The movie only concentrated on the action of the book. They were either running, fighting or making plans about fights or succesful runs. There's no real depth! No introduction of the Middle Earth. Do you get to know anything about the creatures or species in the film? Maybe only about Smeagul. The movie is nothing more then an inlustration of the book. If you read the book you'll understand the movie - but will also see what it left out. If you haven't read the book, you'll just get the epic story - whtiout ever learning anything about the wonderful world Tolkien created.
Dare I say also, that I think the book is slightly overrated as well?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #8
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Mar 2 2005, 08:01 PM
Well a word from the Reviewer... ME.
Yes, I did say that about the film.
I knew most people would start complaining, because teh film was a huge succes and it's not a bad made movie, yet still...
I was really disapointed with the movie. First off they skipped my favorite character in the entire story - Tom Bobadilo (not the mention the willow that cathces the Hobbits...). The movie only concentrated on the action of the book. They were either running, fighting or making plans about fights or succesful runs. There's no real depth! No introduction of the Middle Earth. Do you get to know anything about the creatures or species in the film? Maybe only about Smeagul. The movie is nothing more then an inlustration of the book. If you read the book you'll understand the movie - but will also see what it left out. If you haven't read the book, you'll just get the epic story - whtiout ever learning anything about the wonderful world Tolkien created.
I think Lotr wouldnt be such a succes if they tried from it anything else than just epic movie.Infact I think that movies were better than books .I was a little bored with Tolkiens huge descriptions of everything and in film it was very well reduced to sceneries.
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
Mickey Bitsko

Sabastianos, I agree with you about the parts that were taken out. I'd love to have seen the part when the hobbits need to be rescued. But film being such an expensive medium they couldn't have done the entire book. I hate to see a movie based on a book I like and see parts missing. I was really surprised when I went to see the Jack Nicholson flick, "About Schmidt" and found that the plot had absolutely nothing to do with the book. I don't mind that the LOTR movies are "only an illustration of the book," especially since Peter Jackson's visual style is so operatic and over the top.

By the way, have you played the Interplay "Fellowship of the Ring" that is here on Abandonia, and if you have what did you think?
Mickey Bitsko is offline                         Send a private message to Mickey Bitsko
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Mar 2 2005, 07:01 PM
Yes, yes they are.

I'm with you Seb - the first film was amazing just because it hadn't been done, but i found the latter 2 a bit mediocre once that'd worn off. and the books aren't all that, either. not as hugely overrated as Harry sodding Potter though.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone