Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: do you watch anime
yes 33 63.46%
no 19 36.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #111
Tito
Alley Cat

I finally watched the last episode of GITS: SAC a few days ago and, while I love the series, I don't think that I've understood half of the things and plots happening there so far.

About dubbing, here in Spain I've found series with a brilliant one (such as Cowboy Bebop), with a good one (GITS), and with a terrible one (Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7) so in most cases I try to look for the original version.
Old 31-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #112
Steeltemplar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Oct 31 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]317833[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I finally watched the last episode of GITS: SAC a few days ago and, while I love the series, I don't think that I've understood half of the things and plots happening there so far.

About dubbing, here in Spain I've found series with a brilliant one (such as Cowboy Bebop), with a good one (GITS), and with a terrible one (Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, Samurai 7) so in most cases I try to look for the original version.
[/b]
I have found that English language dubs often sound unnatural and stilted, especially in emotional moments. How is it in the Spanish? (I assume you are talking about Spanish dubs, correct me if I am wrong) Do they do a lot of "localization" - ie. changing things in the script to conform to the audience culture?
Steeltemplar is offline                         Send a private message to Steeltemplar
Old 31-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #113
Tito
Alley Cat

Dubbing is very good in general here in Spain. And also the localization thing you talk about is present in most films and series. The problem, I think, is that Anime has not been taken very seriously around here (except for big productions, that is).
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #114
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Oct 31 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]317833[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
which series? i have yet to watch 2nd gig but i liked 1st gig.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #115
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

I love anime.
My most memorable are (the ones I can name):

The ones I have on DVD are with "*"s

.hack//(Liminality; SIGN)
Agent Aika
Akage No Anne
Akira*
Appleseed
BECK - Mongolian Chop Squad
Burn-Up (W! (Warrior!); Excess)
Cowboy Bebop
Dominion Tank Police (OLD;NEW
Galactik Football
Ghost In The Shell (I; II: Innocence; Solid State Society)*
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1st GIG; 2nd GIG; Solid State Society)*
Howl's Moving Castle*
Jin Roh
Oban Star-Racers
Read or Die (OVA; TV)
Sailor Moon
Shaman King
Speed Racer

I've been gone for a long time, been watching lots of 'em.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 02-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #116
chumloofah
Game freak

I forget...
Is Howl's Moving Castle the one that ends really happily for everybody, even going to ridiculous levels to make things insanely super for even the semi-animate scarecrow?
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #117
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Nov 2 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]318047[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I forget...
Is Howl's Moving Castle the one that ends really happily for everybody, even going to ridiculous levels to make things insanely super for even the semi-animate scarecrow?
[/b]
Oddly enough, it ends really happily. I loved the idea and the movie.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 03-11-2007, 12:42 AM   #118
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Nov 2 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]318047[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I forget...
[/b]
The semi-animate scarecrow is the missing crown prince that the war is all about. The Witch of the Waste is still a blubbery hag, who had lost her magic, at the end of the film, but she is a better person.

The one recurring motif that I really liked was how Sophie's apparent age changed, kind of like how Porco Rosso (in the film of the same name) occassionally appeared as his former, human self.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #119
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlbell @ Nov 3 2007, 02:42 AM) [snapback]318057[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chumloofah @ Nov 2 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]318047[/snapback]
Quote:
I forget...
[/b]
The semi-animate scarecrow is the missing crown prince that the war is all about. The Witch of the Waste is still a blubbery hag, who had lost her magic, at the end of the film, but she is a better person.

The one recurring motif that I really liked was how Sophie's apparent age changed, kind of like how Porco Rosso (in the film of the same name) occassionally appeared as his former, human self.
[/b][/quote]

Sophie and Howl were the only beautiful characters in the whole movie. I liked how they standed out of the whole crowd.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #120
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CorruptMylar @ Oct 28 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]317626[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The problem with anime is they break up the incredibly cool violences and mayhem with all that cutsey, Hello Kitty, dorky nonsense. I was trying to get into Trinty Blood. Great idea about a worldwide vampire menace battling the Catholic Church on airships and what not. But they pull that overly exuberant character interaction with the sweat beads and the eye-popping and the jumping up and down. I can't stand that crap!
[/b]
I kind of agree with you. But sometimes I find a lot of the hacky swordfights and trying-too-hard-to-be-badass characters just as dorky as the cute stuff. I wish they would put less effort into eye-popping sweat-bead stuff and more effort into better acting in the animation.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999