Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-07-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Sameeralord
Game freak

Hi Guys,
I bought a fax machine. The problem I have is now after I connect the nessecary phone line do I have to connect to the internet. I can't do that because the same cable should be used in the computer if I have to get the internet connection. I'm just confused. So simply tell me how to setup the fax machine. Thanks a lot!!
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 30-07-2005, 05:46 AM   #2
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

why would someone buy a fax machine in this day of age :whistle:
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 30-07-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

What type of internet are you using?

For basic phone wireing, plug the phone line from the wall to where it says "line". Now, plug a cord from the "Phone" port to the "Line" port on the modem in your computer.

Or you can run it this way: Connect the phone cord to the "Line" port on your modem, and another from the "Phone" to the "Line" on the fax machine. Now, run a cable from the "phone" on the fax machine to an answering machine's "line". Then run from "Phone" on the answering machine to the phone itself.

Leave a message on the answering machine for the person to press the send or whatever button and it should work.

Is this what you needed?

If you use cable, dsl, satellite or you have vonage with one of them, please keep talkin if you have problems. If I can't help you I am sure someone will k:
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 01-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

wow, wait a minute! now i' m confused with blastradius description :crazy:

for what i understand, you had a phone line, throw which you used to connect to internet. now you added a fax. so, now you have one phone line for telephone, fax and internet. if your internet connection is dial up, then you have one problem: when you use one of the services, the other two will be inaccessible. this means for example, if you are using the internet you won' t be able to make or receive phone calls or faxs.

now if you have DSL, you can use internet all the time, but the you won' t be able to use the phone and the fax at the same time... wait, maybe that is possible if your phone line is digital. :blink:

i think maybe you should tell us more about what you have. maybe you just need a "T" to split the line in two :whistle:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 01-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

My idea is the daisy chain, where each is connected: the fax first, then computer, then answering machine then phone. The faxes would automatically go through the fax, and hit the answering machine. The answering machine would then send the fax to the fax machine if it hasn't already picked it up. You could also dial out with the computer, as long as the fax machine wasn't sending/recieving. The same applies to the phone.

A splitter would work, though you would have to buy one that doesn't split them into "lines". This is why I didn't mention that, as people may be confused in a store.

Oh well.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 02-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Sameeralord
Game freak

Oh man I always get confused with these things. Anyways thanks for everyones help k: . Ok I'll be clear now. This is the problem. I have dial up internet. So I use my cable to connect to the internet via the computer. But then I wan't be able to recieve or answer phones. Now the fax machine has come. So if I use my cable on the fax machine I want be able to connect internet via the computer. Help k:
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

blastradius, i understanded your post k: , but i think it will be a little to much for this case. i think that all that will be needed is a "splitter" or as i called it before, a "T" (one "in", two "out"). it is something like the one in the picture.

Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Sameeralord
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Aug 2 2005, 09:46 AM
blastradius, i understanded your post k: , but i think it will be a little to much for this case.* i think that all that will be needed is a "splitter" or as i called it before, a "T" (one "in", two "out"). it is something like the one in the picture.

k: There you go thanks!! Shrek k: . Always there in these problems. I bet you posted a screenshot because you knew I would ask it if you just wrote the name . I'll go to the store and buy one. (Buying the TV card has been postponed with this on the way)

@blastradius: Thanks for the help anyways
Old 02-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Is your fax machine a much newer fax machine? Will it pick up faxes on its own?

Your problem will be solved with a "T" splitter. However, if it cannot recieve faxes on its own it may need an answering machine. I don't know why this happens sometimes :blink:
Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You should return fax machine and use eFax
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue