Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-04-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

First of all, sorry if this has been asked before. I usually use DOSBox, VDMSound, and Win98 for playing abandonia games, or just use WinXP if the games happen to run well there. However I recently downloaded FreeDOS, and is curious about it. Since I don't want to create a separate partition just for DOS, I was wondering if I can set it up in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 instead.

I am quite confused with the installation, though. The installation failed, but since the message flashed too fast I could not catch it well. Sometimes it will give error message "Some files not found. Aborting setup now.. ", other times it gives "Invalid Opcode at 3269 2A35 0402 0667 31C9 0879 FEE4 FE74 035A 2A35 25FF 0B0B 3C9 " and "Invalid Opcode at 31C8 4355 5006 4320 4D4F 0000 7500 7E47 0033 0000 4000 BE62 132" message.

Has anybody tried this setup before? Help, anybody?
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 28-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Virtual PC is not as efficient as DosBox, really. You might want to check up on other virtual machines, like BOCHS, VMWARE or QEMU.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

yes and emulating whole mashine takes much more processor than dos in dosbox

btw your problems looks like corrupted file or HDD
Old 29-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
rabadi

I have tried BOCHS in the past, the non-GUI look gave me headache :crazy: Is QEMU even available under Windows? I thought it only works under Linux.

About corrupted HDD, well since the HDD is virtual, I don't think that's the problem. Just in case it is a corrupted FreeDOS installer instead, I think I'll re-download again. I googled yesterday, and in one website (http://vpc.visualwin.com/), I read that Virtual PC 2004 should be compatible with FreeDOS 9 Beta 9 pre-release5 or FreeDOS Beta 9 RC3. However I could not find info on installing it.

On a separate note, towards the end of this year when I hopefully will have saved enough money to buy a brand new PC, I plan to try out Ubuntu. I assume DOSBox would work just fine under Ubuntu, wouldn't it?
Old 29-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by rabadi@Apr 29 2006, 12:56 AM
About corrupted HDD, well since the HDD is virtual, I don't think that's the problem.
your virtual HDD is located on real one..
Old 02-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
rabadi

I have tried to re-create the virtual HDD from scratch, yet the error still occurs. Just to be sure, I defragmented and scandisked the real HDD, but no problem was found.

I tried to re-install FreeDOS using the newest version (just re-downloaded again), but still failed. I guess I'll give up for now. I'll try again someday if newer version comes out.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Mara
Abandonia nerd

Virtula PC work good when it's about emulating windows (i installed a 98 on it )

if you want dos, dosbox rules !

else, if you installed in 98 en vritual pc, you sould be able to restart in the dos mode right ?
Mara is offline                         Send a private message to Mara
Old 03-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Mara
Abandonia nerd

Virtual PC work good when it's about emulating windows (i installed a 98 on it )

if you want dos, dosbox rules !

else, if you installed in 98 in vritual pc, you should be able to restart in the dos mode right ?

Quote:
I plan to try out Ubuntu. I assume DOSBox would work just fine under Ubuntu, wouldn't it?
should work. My sister made dosbox working with linux ok anyway
Mara is offline                         Send a private message to Mara
Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.@Apr 28 2006, 01:48 PM
yes and emulating whole mashine takes much more processor than dos in dosbox
Actually, in DOSBOx, the whole PC is emulated. If Virtual PC works anything at all like VMWare (which I believe it does), you should be able to get much more performance out of the VirtualPC virtual machine.
However, this is rather overkill for most dos games, plus the time it takes to get everything set up properly are two arguments for using DOSBox in the end.

Edit: f.i. VMWare doesn't emulate the whole PC, but works in the lines of Wine. It provides a coupling between your PC and the OS of the Virtual Machine.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 04-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Virtual PC takes up a lot of resources. More then it really should, but then - what else to expect from a M$ program?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman