Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #61
FreeFreddy

Croatian is actually related to the family of Cyrillic languages, like Russian or partlially Polish.

Old 25-08-2004, 10:10 PM   #62
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

It is?? Wow... cool! But it has latin letters.... that's interesting, actually! I had no idea!! :P

Icelandic is related to most of the Nordic languages (Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Faeroese). Because I speak Icelandic and Danish almost fluently, so I can understand a bit Norwegian, Swedish and Faeroese...
So I'm wondering, is Croatian that related to Russian and Polish? So, Freddy, do you understand Croatian for example? Just wondering... :wink:
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 25-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #63
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well being an English speaker doesn't make me any better at German, Spanish, French, Italian, etc.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 25-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #64
Durak
Games Master

Yup, English sucks and is full of exceptions.
Durak is offline                         Send a private message to Durak
Old 25-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #65
FreeFreddy

Quote:
So, Freddy, do you understand Croatian for example? Just wondering... :wink:
Only some words that sound similar to Russian, actually if I would hear someone speaking Croatian, I would understand around 10-12 % of it only :wink:
It is it's own kind of language, formed itself in other way than Russian in all the centuries, keeping only small similarity to it.

Old 25-08-2004, 10:17 PM   #66
Durak
Games Master

One of my friends just recently moved to Germany...wish I could learn Russian. But I want to learn Croatian first.
Durak is offline                         Send a private message to Durak
Old 25-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #67
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Re: Croatian Games Forum!!!

Quote:
I just wanted to create a Croatian forum when we (balkanians) can speak in private.
Croatian language is based on Slavenian (not Slovenian) language. Just like Russian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Slovenian, etc. Croatian, Bosnian, and Serbian are pretty much the same languages (It depends of place where do you live, and of dialect spoken in that area).
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 26-08-2004, 06:36 AM   #68
Decalies
Forum hobbit

Send a message via MSN to Decalies

Romanian isn't a Slavenian language, is it?
Decalies is offline                         Send a private message to Decalies
Old 26-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #69
FreeFreddy

[quote]Croatian language is based on Slavenian
It's called "Cyrillic". :wink:

Old 26-08-2004, 04:31 PM   #70
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
It's called "Cyrillic". :wink:
nope. cyrillic are Serbian, "Montenegrian"(does it even exist???), Macedonian, Bulgarian, Russian... their writing is based on the writing tought by Ciril and Metod - hence the serbian writing is called "cirilica" as well as russian probably.
Croatian, Bosnian (again does it even exists?), Slovenian are written in latin writing like other european languages. In fact Croatian and Slovenian grammar is closely interlinked with Czech grammar.
after the dissintegration of Yugoslavia a lot of Croatian as well as Serbian words were changed into new words to differ the langauges more (right? :wink: ). there was a big difference between these languages once before but later it became less apperant because new words that came in were usually used by both nations.
As for my (Slovenian) language it has some similarities (mostly wortds) with Serbian as well as with Croatian. but grammar structure is completelly different. it's a bit harder because of the doubles (special forms/endings for two persons). if you read very old english you will find these forms in it.
the easiest langauge i've heard of is Indonesian. they basically speak like Tarzan: "Hello, me Gregor. Do you go school?" i find it interesting.
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Closed Thread