Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #31
feminista
Abandonia nerd

Lots of old school players around here. I disagree that new cards are "cheap" or that the game is getting unbalanced, but I don't like the flavor of newer cards that much. Still, I love everything even up through the Rath Cycle, and I honestly don't mind some of the later sets. I just love interesting deck concepts myself. I think cool combinations of cards are way more fun than creatures attacking each other and getting blown up. I like interesting decks like Astral Slide, Griffin Canyon, Parfait, R/W Walls, etc. Just things that interest me, rather than things that are particularly good. And I can play these pretty well against silly goblin decks or whatever the kids are playing these days. I think if you blame the game for ruining things, you just don't quite have the creativity to get over your nostalgia. Just look at the type one meta. Now that cards are so much more readily available, strategy is way more important than individually powerful cards. It's a slightly different game, but I like it better that way. Platinum Angel and Darksteel Collossus don't bother me in the least. They don't really win games, and I play against people who are more mature than that.
feminista is offline                         Send a private message to feminista
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #32
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I disagree. With the new sets the colors are not unbalanced anymore... They are all bland without taste and without personalities. I've seen white decks more agressive than black decks and black deck more life saving than white decks with the new sets, this is purely wrong.

I always seen dual color decks as a weakness. You can't compete with your own color? Then pick a second and hope you're strong enough to actually beat a good single color deck. However in the last sets this changed completely and turned things around. Right now playing single color is asking for trouble unless you got a cheap deck which lock the game up or simply kill you before you have time to even get the most basic creature or spell out.

Effectively completely kill the fun for me.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #33
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Strategy has always been more important then individually powerfull cards. The problem most people have is that they have so few cards strategy boils down to the luck of getting those few good cards you have on table.
What you said about cards being available now is nonesence. They have always been commenly available if they where available at all. The thing is you need to have the money to buy them as well as the will to spend that money, let's face it Magic is not a cheap hobby. If you have a significant amount of cards new strategies pop-up but you need the to cards make them work. I agree with you that once you get into the more in debth strategy the game starts to become more interresting.

I have three decks on standby right now for the odd game I still play. My most important is a Weissman deck that is my pride and joy ([W/U], figured it out with a lot of trail and error long before I even knew who Weissman was), a Turbo Stasis ([U/W/B], yes that is old school but then I am old school) and a Goblin deck ([R], I don't know why you would say why a Goblin deck is something kids play "these days". Goblin decks have been around since the earliest days of Magic, The Dark made them a real possibility. Making a Goblin deck work is not an easy thing to do, I still need a few Wheel of Fortune's to make mine shine).

I for one tuned out of the new releases once the Ice Age cycle was over (Alliances being the last expansion of that). All the shadow and flanking oddities where enough for me to lose interrest. I have no idea how the new Magic looks and I have no interrest in finding out. I still buy the odd card but no new ones.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #34
Durak
Games Master

As far as I've seen, most players just throw four armadillo cloaks that STACK on a 7 7 unblockable that you can get third turn...
Durak is offline                         Send a private message to Durak
Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #35
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

This has nothing to do with requests.It has been agreed upon that the game is too large for the site.Moved to oldies :bye:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 09-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #36
Gun Man
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Man

Like the Picard Said strategy is much better than a high power/defence creature......also 1 have a deck with only 6 creatures with more than 1 in both defense and attack, its a very quick deck, full of giant grows and that, full of 1/1 goblis and elves... just 3 Kings and Queens and you have 3/3+ quick, mana saver, and deadly :Titan: :P

Lead Designer - IronOak Studios:
PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO
Gun Man is offline                         Send a private message to Gun Man
Old 09-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #37
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Picard@Feb 9 2005, 12:34 PM
I for one tuned out of the new releases once the Ice Age cycle was over (Alliances being the last expansion of that). All the shadow and flanking oddities where enough for me to lose interrest.
You know, the funny thing is that even though I defend Mirage as "the last good starter expansion" with Visions being the last worthwhile expansion, (even though the first signs of Gerrardism are there) I can never remember what Flanking does. Oh sure, I remember what Phasing is, the other new ability introdued in Mirage. And hey, didn't Fallen Empires and Homelands introduce some new abilities too?

It's gotten out of hand, however with such abilities as:

Sulk: Claim that your opponent cheated and convince them not to play with you anymore.

Mommy: Tap the card to get your mommy to buy you new cards, lose two life if half of these are not foil.

Talk anime: Target creature becomes unblockable due to your nonsensical jibberings about popular cartoons exported from Japan that have become a way of life for you.

Icy Manipulator Fetish: Demand that WotC creates an equivalent to the famed Icy Manipulator in every new expansion. Cry and flood their message boards if this does not happen. Everyone loses five life, and is surprised you know what the Icy Manipulator is. Guess you borrowed the Magic Encyclopedia from the library?

By the way, are there any Legend of the Five Rings players here? I just started not too long ago. Got a whole bunch of free cards from a dude that works at the comic shop I frequent. Who said all comic shop guys were mean cusses?
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 09-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #38
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

A flanking creature make another non-flanking creature -1/-1 when attacking or blocking.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #39
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Thanks, EoF.

By the way, for L5R, I play Phoenix clan. Kind of funny, isn't it?
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #40
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Gun Man@Feb 9 2005, 05:55 PM
Like the Picard Said strategy is much better than a high power/defence creature......also 1 have a deck with only 6 creatures with more than 1 in both defense and attack, its a very quick deck, full of giant grows and that, full of 1/1 goblis and elves... just 3 Kings and Queens and you have 3/3+ quick, mana saver, and deadly :Titan: :P
I have a deck with only 2 creatures period and both of those are 1/1. Yes, I do win quite a lot of games with that deck actually but others don't like it when I play with it.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles