Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
xcom freak
Games Master

Are the japanese mangas with only one word like 'aie' and 'supersaiyen' on a page considerd graphic novels?
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak
Old 16-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #12
a1s
Hero Gamer

how do you mean that? just one word on the whole page? or per frame? I seriously can't imagine comics (mangas) with only one word on the wole page :eeeeeh:
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 16-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Oooooh I just started reading Sandman again the other day, so I think I'll go for Season of Mists or possibly Dream Country as the best ones, though the single best story has to be Ramadan, from Fables & Reflections.

Second, probably Preacher - gets compared to the film Dogma, but knocks it into a cocked hat.

Thirdly is Lucifer, the Sandman spinoff. Reading Mansions of the Silence while listening to Ship Of Fools was a top-quality experience.

Sin City would probably feature quite highly, too (Reckon the film will be a marmite-fest, either great or terrible...)
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 16-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #14
xcom freak
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@Apr 16 2005, 04:47 PM
how* do you mean that? just one word on the whole page? or per frame? I seriously can't imagine comics (mangas) with only one word on the wole page :eeeeeh:
Half the pages of mangas like DragonBall have only one word. If you call argh poof meh words. Even captain Tsubasa have a large lack of words.

Edit : i would've scanned a page for you but i don't have a scanner....or a manga
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak
Old 16-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #15
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Ranma 1/2,

Card Captor Sakura,

Well... anything by CLAMP, really.

taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 16-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #16
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Well that probably arent graphic novels, but ....
Ranma 1/2
One Piece
Preacher
Punisher
Hellboy
And almost everything else that I borrow/take/steal from someone... :whistle:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 16-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #17
Spookyfish
Game freak

Does Spawn count? I like Spawn .

Satanist: What is this place?
Spawn: Don't ask me, it's your Hell.

Other than that... I tried borrowing the Battle Royale manga from a buddy, but when I got to book 7 the nudity, pedophilia, the retundancy of identical emotional scenes, and the over-enthusiastic use of head-shots and flying headguts was too much for me. I quit reading it. That last one was horrible...

Battle Royale
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish
Old 16-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #18
xcom freak
Games Master

You didn't like Battle Royal?????

Damn i found that was one great manga. The idea, the criticism of society were perfect. I even orderd the DVD from Japan,

Anyway my fav is saint seiya ---> this is the best graphic novel ever, the best story , the best drawings and now the best DVDs.
Old 16-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #19
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

You should try Case Closed, I know it looks kiddie, but believe me, its not. Its a good detective manga. I love it. I'm gonna buy the dvd collection.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 16-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #20
Spookyfish
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by xcom freak@Apr 16 2005, 10:31 PM
You didn't like Battle Royal?????

Damn i found that was one great manga. The idea, the criticism of society were perfect. I even orderd the DVD from Japan,

Anyway my fav is saint seiya ---> this is the best graphic novel ever, the best story , the best drawings and now the best DVDs.
I liked the movie, loved the book, but the manga... Seriously. All of the emotional scenes repeats themselves; two characters talk about their past, then they are suddenly killed by either Mitsuko or Kiriyama. The detailing of how the baseball kid lusted for Mitsuko was just plain old sick. Sure, there were always highlights, but the things I didn't like outnumbered them like ten to one or something. Like I said, I loved the book, and the manga does it justice, but fills out at all the wrong places (what the hell was that with the midget peeing on the bullies!?). Of course, this is just me. The art was lovely though; kudos for that.
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish