Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
chickenman
Hero Gamer

Why you should use Linux not Windows.

There are a lot of reasons why you should not use Windows the main one being security.

Linux is a very secure system, it is immune to all Windows viruses and Trojans. A good well maintained system is almost impossible to hack in to.

So why is few people using Linux if it's so secure ?

Most people think Linux is very hard to use and hard to install, a few years ago that was very true but now Linux is as just as easy to use and install as Windows or more.

There are large number of good distributions to choose from such as Ubuntu, Debian, Knoppix, etc.

What is a distribution ?

Linux is just the core of the operating system (The Kernel) it on it's own is not much use to people.

A distribution is a package containing the Kernel and lots of free software and games, and most, a good Desktop such as Gnome or KDE.

How much does Linux cost ?

Linux is free, some distributions are sold for money but most are free, one such distribution (ubuntu) gives CD's away free.

All the software that comes with a distribution is 100% free, so why pay ?100 for Microsoft word when you can have some thing better for free (openoffice)

Can i try Linux without installing it ?

A few distributions now come with a Live CD that let you try Linux without installing any data on your hard disk.

Can i play my Windows games on my Linux system ?

Linux cannot run Windows programs but some games and software can be run using DOS-Box (DOS software \ games) or WINE (Windows software \ games).

That is all for now

Please comment k:

-The chicken man
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 31-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Advertising? Hey! Thats not allowed.
plus making people use Linux will make is less secure. It'll be a more inviting target...
Old 31-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Quote:
Originally posted by DaNnY2%2
plus making people use Linux will make is less secure. It'll be a more inviting target...
I believe the same, but it still made me wonder if i should get it. The best part is that my anti-virus works on it also. arty:
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 31-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Number one reason why Linux is more secure than Windows; only intelligent people knows how to use Linux while any idiot can use Windows.

So, if you are not stupid and know how to protect your computer with at least a minimal care (like me), you are not less secure in Windows than Linux.
Old 31-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

I just figured out that my Voodoo 2 3dfx drivers will not work on Linux, so
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 31-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Quote:
All the software that comes with a distribution is 100% free, so why pay ?100 for Microsoft word when you can have some thing better for free (openoffice)
so the ones that make you pay have free software? And its a matter of opinion over wether open office is better.

Also most things are made for windows. The emulators wont always work. Not every dos game works on dosbox. And, like abi said, it has little support from game makers. I've never (myself) seen a game saying "Linux", only "Mac" or "PC-CDROM". And then theres drivers. I dont see these lying around much.
Old 31-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Aug 31 2005, 06:24 PM
Number one reason why Linux is more secure than Windows; only intelligent people knows how to use Linux while any idiot can use Windows.

So, if you are not stupid and know how to protect your computer with at least a minimal care (like me), you are not less secure in Windows than Linux.
I agree totally with you k:

I've never had problems with Windows (wel, just some crashes with win98 :whistle: ) and i'm not an "expert", i just know how to use some precautions and i'm not acting like a stupid during the internet sessions!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #8
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

Linux is free because almost nobody use Linux, if some day they go up , linux is going to be paid, they are no different from microsoft.
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 01-09-2005, 03:41 AM   #9
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny252@Aug 31 2005, 06:09 PM
Advertising? Hey! Thats not allowed.
Nah, you woulda closed it long ago then
It's not like its total advertising, not like certain "Get free Ps2's!!!" threads.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 01-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #10
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by little fish@Aug 31 2005, 07:13 PM
Linux is free because almost nobody use Linux, if some day they go up , linux is going to be paid, they are no different from microsoft.
Not all linux distributions are free, and some of them will never be charged, as they are product of the work of so many different people, and their code is protected under license.

Why to use it?

First of all, not to pay for windows, office, and a lot of different not so cheap programs. (To purchase Windows and Office Pro (one with Power Point and Access) you have to pay ~ $500. To get windows server you need another $670. To have DB on that server is another $1,500. And all of this is free in linux/unix.

Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue