Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I know you might have meant it as one, FreeFreddy, but it can be hurtful to be called names on a site where many people read the postings...especially when someone's only trying to be helpful. 8)
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 22-08-2004, 07:18 PM   #12
FreeFreddy

Well, you're right, so I must to apologize for that. ops:

Old 22-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #13
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thank you, FreeFreddy. Very nice of you.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 24-08-2004, 06:58 AM   #14
JoA

Just found your site yesterday and downloaded Laura Bow. Seems to run O.K. except that the audio doesn't work on my machine - the music's fine though. I find the same problem with quite a few of the older Sierra games and can't use DosBox as I only run Win98 (the original version) and I don't think you can use VDM sound either - is that correct? I'll play the game anyway but wondered if there is anyway of getting the audio to work.

Good site by the way and I just found you by accident.
JoA is offline                         Send a private message to JoA
Old 24-08-2004, 07:11 AM   #15
FreeFreddy

Actually, I think DosBox functions in Windows 98 too, but perhaps slightly slower as in Windows XP.
You say you have Windows 98, which soundcard do you have there? I ask that, because if you have Soundblaster Live!, there are drivers for it available on it's drivers-CD. There are these drivers available for download on this site in Drivers-section (of course :wink: ) too, maybe they work even for other, newer Soundblaster models than the ones listed there. In my case they also only work in Windows 98 (SE), but not in Windows XP, so you should have no problems there...
Try it out and say, if that didn't help.

Old 24-08-2004, 07:22 AM   #16
JoA

Gee, that was a quick reply and thanks. My soundcard is an ESS Solo-1 Sound Blaster Compatible (WDM)/ ESS Solo-1 PCI Audio Drive (WDM) - just as old as the machine itself! I updated my video card so that's fine and also have enough RAM, it's always just been the actual audio/speech that I have problems with. I'll check out the drivers section, not sure if I even know what to do with them at the moment, but I generally find that I can manage things if I can find enough information. :wink:

So far as DosBox is concerned, I was told by someone on another site awhile ago that it's no use with Win.98 - but of course that person may never have tried it with anything other than XP.,
JoA is offline                         Send a private message to JoA
Old 24-08-2004, 07:42 AM   #17
FreeFreddy

You say, you have that ESS Solo-1 Sound Blaster Compatible (WDM)/ ESS Solo-1 PCI Audio Drive (WDM) soundcard. To be honest, I never heard anything of that one (always had only Soundblaster cards, too ), but if it is Soundblaster-compatible, those compatible soundcards mostly only support plain Soundblaster or Soundblaster 2.0-setting, not Soundblaster Pro or Soundblaster 16. Also the Soundblaster-sound does not work with system-drivers that Windows 98 uses to contact the soundcard. It's because the settings for them in Dos are different as in Windows and they don't support Ms-Dos sound in any way, so you'll most surely need these drivers for sound in Dos, or, if they don't work, try to search on www.google.de for the drivers for this card specifically.

Old 30-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #18
Guest_guest

Just wanted to thank you for putting this game up. I used to play it when I was eleven or twelve, and have been searching for it since i got a pc two or three years ago. True angels!

Old 30-08-2004, 01:10 AM   #19
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Just watch out. We will soon put up the first Laura Bow game
Old 22-09-2004, 04:22 AM   #20
BillyBuerger
Lurker

Does anyone have the copy-protection codes for this one? I actually bought this game many years ago. I wanted to play again but then couldn't find the book.

Thanks!
BillyBuerger is offline                         Send a private message to BillyBuerger