Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Ports of Call

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 22-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 29-05-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

See?

It pays to vote in the forum! This was the first winner as the most wanted game by Abandonia members and guests.

Hope you have fun playing it.
Old 29-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

thanks!
Not really my kind of game... I'll play it after the exams.
thanks again.

You know I've got a whole lot of old games and I'd love to give them (giving something in return) but i have no idea how.
Stroggy is offline                         Send a private message to Stroggy
Old 29-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

hmm looks cool gonna dl it later.
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 30-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
cosmogreen32

Send a message via ICQ to cosmogreen32

This game had pretty lame programmers. Good idea though. I see they are working on a new 3d version now . Some people never learn.
cosmogreen32 is offline                         Send a private message to cosmogreen32
Old 02-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There are a lot of remaks lately of older games. Transport Tycoon is also being redone. See abandonware has shown people just how populair these games still are and now they are taking up the challange of making them make use of the new systems out there.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

...and most of the time these remakes succeed admirably well in both disappointing the old fans and failing to reach the young crowd
well thats not really true, it does soemtimes manage to reach the young crowd... and usually the old fans say "its nice... but its not like the original"
Stroggy is offline                         Send a private message to Stroggy
Old 17-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #8
Jack

Ah... This game brings back such memories. My friend hated this game so much I had to threaten him with physical violence to get him to play it - I loved it! This game taught me everything I know about 3-point turns and parallel parking. After bringing a 20,000 Ton cargo ship into port without tugs, parking a 4-door never scared me.

Some hints:

Don't be tempted at the start to set your home port up somewhere exotic. San Francisco is the best port and you always tend to end up there sooner or later, so you might as well start there.

Stay away from the really discount ship. Go for at least pre-owned. They sink less often

A really profitable run is electronics out on San Francisco to Cape Town, and then hang around in South Africa until somebody needs some arms shipped somewhere (hopefully back to America), you can make buckets of money doing this. (This is not a game for people with ethical dilemmas).

Don't bother getting your ship out of harbor yourself, it doesn't increase your status and costs so little that you might as well get the tugs to do it for you.

Don't feel bad when you accidentally ram the guys in the lifeboat when you are trying to pick them up. Hey. It's just the law of the sea. They weren't meant to make it. What the heck were they doing out in the middle of the ocean anyway?!! Seriously, it is almost impossible to pick them up, you need to be going almost in the same direction as them and just a little bit faster.

Guiding your ship through a reef is easier than getting it into Rio de Janeiro habour.

Check your office once a week like clockwork. Just pop in and out. This stops your accountant trying to pull one over you.

Probably most importantly. Never sail anywhere at full speed unless you have to because you’re on a time-limited contract. Slow your boats down to at least two thirds of full speed and you will save lots of fuel.

When fuel is cheap – fill up!

If you do take on a fixed term contract, remember to allow at about 10 extra days over what it takes to actually sail from port to port. The contract includes the time it takes you to load and unload the cargo (a day or two either side) and you often get held up for a few days outside a harbor waiting to get in. This can get expensive.

Happy boating
Cheers!

Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Pip

This game didn't sell so well. I remember getting a free copy with 3DXL that I bought for my Amiga because they couldn't get rid of them. The game was alright, though.
Pip is offline                         Send a private message to Pip
Old 24-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Unfortunately this game is on the market again. Ports of Call

It's silly - the publishers say that the windows version costs them traffic and they have to modernize it, but this isn't necessary for the old version.