Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #31
Nyerguds
Game freak
 
Nyerguds's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buggenhout, Belgium
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Wow, cool Was this demo CD part of that Westwood 10 years anniversary edition box you've got? Oh, and by the way, remember some time ago I kept asking about the "anniversary edition" of C&C that had Dune II as a bonus? Wasn't it perchance included as well?
Nope, I bought the demo separately. Had nothing to do with that pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
They're already there And you will be laughing, but they're actually among those things that motivated me to start this thread in the first place
Ah, ow, I completely missed the fact you separated that first post in demos / special releases / console ports/ etc.

[edit]

Oh, another thing that might count... the Battle.net (Win95) edition of Warcraft II adds a food counter next to the other resources. The original DOS version doesn't have this. Or is this the opposite of what you're trying to list in this thread?

[edit]

Huh, the C&C alpha/beta isn't mentioned?
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...ive/beta1.html
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...ive/beta2.html
Command & Conquer's original interface was tabbed, showing 4 buttons, though the last one is just the credits, and obviously not a button. The others are "Tactical", "Options", and "Database". "Tactical" was just the gameplay screen, "Options" was obviously the options menu, and "Database" was most likely meant for an "ingame manual" - a units and structures database to consult ingame, just like Dune II's Mentat function. It never made it to the final game though.

Other differences in this version, besides some units and structures that haven't found their final side, are the double team colours on the Nod buildings (combining grey and red), generally more team colour area on all stuff in the game, side logos on the construction yard buildings, a kind of road tile before each building rather than the entire concrete 'bib' they get in the final game, and green sludge inside the power plant cooling towers.

Last edited by Nyerguds; 08-11-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #32
bobson
Game is over
 
bobson's Avatar



 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
Posts: 997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyerguds View Post
Oh, another thing that might count... the Battle.net (Win95) edition of Warcraft II adds a food counter next to the other resources. The original DOS version doesn't have this.
I can be wrong, but the food counter was always in the game, just not on the top of the screen. It was visible only after clicking on one of the farms.
Currently I do not have the DOS release so I can't verify my memory
__________________
bobson is offline                         Send a private message to bobson
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
Nyerguds
Game freak
 
Nyerguds's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buggenhout, Belgium
Posts: 122
Default

Of course you could check it on the farms, but the fact it was actually added to the resource counters in the general UI is definitely a change.
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
bobson
Game is over
 
bobson's Avatar



 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
Posts: 997
Default

OK, I get yuor point
__________________
bobson is offline                         Send a private message to bobson
Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #35
MrFlibble
Hero Gamer
 
MrFlibble's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Weiherhof, Germany
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyerguds View Post
Oh, another thing that might count... the Battle.net (Win95) edition of Warcraft II adds a food counter next to the other resources. The original DOS version doesn't have this. Or is this the opposite of what you're trying to list in this thread?
Yeah, it's probably the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyerguds View Post
Huh, the C&C alpha/beta isn't mentioned?
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...ive/beta1.html
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/...ive/beta2.html
Command & Conquer's original interface was tabbed, showing 4 buttons, though the last one is just the credits, and obviously not a button. The others are "Tactical", "Options", and "Database". "Tactical" was just the gameplay screen, "Options" was obviously the options menu, and "Database" was most likely meant for an "ingame manual" - a units and structures database to consult ingame, just like Dune II's Mentat function. It never made it to the final game though.

Other differences in this version, besides some units and structures that haven't found their final side, are the double team colours on the Nod buildings (combining grey and red), generally more team colour area on all stuff in the game, side logos on the construction yard buildings, a kind of road tile before each building rather than the entire concrete 'bib' they get in the final game, and green sludge inside the power plant cooling towers.
This is, indeed, a very interesting sum-up of pre-release features of C&C (worthy of a separate thread, no less ), but, even though the topic has grown a lot, listing various stuff from demos to pre-release and console versions of different games, the original idea was to include things that are actually available to the public (so that people can, if they want to, get the source material and, if possible, extract said extra content). It is my understanding that the C&C beta was never made available to public - by legal means or otherwise. Of course, some pre-release sprites can be obtained from screenshots (like the ConYard with the Nod logo, or the Nod logo on the Hand of Nod, which you brought back in your patch ), but it's not exactly the same as getting the original sprite in SHP format, right?

Oh, BTW, do you remember that there was a "Negative!" unit response in C&C, which is only found in the C&C95 Windows Theme Pack?

I've added info about the C&C Demo CD you found, and the RA1 demo, to the first post (among other things).

Can anyone verify if the level in The Settlers II demo (I'm talking about the one called "Initial Contact", not the tutorial level) is absent from the full game?
__________________
FED2k Forums - Westwood Studios' Dune games and more
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #36
Nyerguds
Game freak
 
Nyerguds's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buggenhout, Belgium
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Yeah, it's probably the opposite
Thought so. It's probably not that special for patches or rereleases/ports to contain small new extras like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
This is, indeed, a very interesting sum-up of pre-release features of C&C (worthy of a separate thread, no less )
Well, the page sums up everything I think. Don't know if there's much to discuss about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
but, even though the topic has grown a lot, listing various stuff from demos to pre-release and console versions of different games, the original idea was to include things that are actually available to the public (so that people can, if they want to, get the source material and, if possible, extract said extra content).
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't exactly sure about that, hence why I posted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Of course, some pre-release sprites can be obtained from screenshots (like the ConYard with the Nod logo, or the Nod logo on the Hand of Nod, which you brought back in your patch ), but it's not exactly the same as getting the original sprite in SHP format, right?
Well, seeing as some of these pics are in GIF format, in the original beta game's colour palette (which, oddly enough, is different from the final one), it comes pretty close

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Oh, BTW, do you remember that there was a "Negative!" unit response in C&C, which is only found in the C&C95 Windows Theme Pack?
Haha, yes! But in the end they chose to make clicks on impassable terrain move units as close as possible rather than let them downright refuse. I guess that that is why it's not used

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
I've added info about the C&C Demo CD you found, and the RA1 demo, to the first post (among other things).
Nice, thanks
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds
Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #37
MrFlibble
Hero Gamer
 
MrFlibble's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Weiherhof, Germany
Posts: 496
Default

Recently I've stumbled upon yet another beta demo of Powerslave, presumably released somewhere between the first public beta and the demo builds that are identical to the final release of the game. This demo (it's called "freeware" in the readme) still has the beta title screen, and a rolling introductory text not found in the other versions of the game. The two demo levels are practically identical to the first two levels of the full game, albeit there are minor differences. Some graphics and sounds are different as well.
Powerslave Freeware Part 1
Powerslave Freeware Part 2
Powerslave Freeware Part 3
__________________
FED2k Forums - Westwood Studios' Dune games and more
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
MrFlibble
Hero Gamer
 
MrFlibble's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Weiherhof, Germany
Posts: 496
Default

It turns out that the Age of Empires trial version has some features left over from the beta, including certain tree graphics. You can read more about the differences from the final release here.

Also updated the info about Rise of the Triad: The HUNT Begins Deluxe Edition levels, which are available for free download. There's a total of six extra levels, as described by Joe Siegler:
Quote:
================================================== ===========
Rise of the Triad: The HUNT Begins DELUXE Edition (Shareware)
================================================== ===========
Regular Levels
--------------
Prelude to a Kill
Jumpin Jehoshaphat
GADZOOKS!

Comm-Bat Levels
---------------
The Siege
The Box
Rise And Tide
Also added links to downloadable material like demo versions and level packs to the first post of the thread.
__________________
FED2k Forums - Westwood Studios' Dune games and more
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #39
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Traverse City, United States
Posts: 261
Default

Hopefully I'm not going too off-topic with this...

The SNES version of the original Street Fighter II has unique sprites and stuff in the characters' endings that's never seen in any other version of the game.

See for yourself...
Ryu's Arcade Ending
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/a/streetryu.htm

Ryu's SNES Ending
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/a/sf2ryu.htm

Notice primarily the bunny girl with the trophy and Ryu dragon-punching a waterfall.

You can see the other characters' endings through both links for their respective versions. Once again, the exclusive sprites can ONLY be seen in THIS VERSION of the game. These ARE NOT carried over to SFII Turbo for SNES or Super SFII for SNES.
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #40
MrFlibble
Hero Gamer
 
MrFlibble's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Weiherhof, Germany
Posts: 496
Default

Since the list in the first post had grown too large, I've reorganized it and limited to only downloadable content for PC versions, since console version differences are often too numerous and might deserve a separate thread (maybe even for each game). The extra content from consoles that was converted to the PC format and is downloadable is still listed though.

I've also added more download links, the info about the Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast demo, and the rare Age of Empires Computer Gaming World magazine demo.
__________________
FED2k Forums - Westwood Studios' Dune games and more
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Reply With Quote
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kittybrod - Shareware Versions: Wolfenstein 3d and Doom 1 kittybrod Offers 4 06-06-2009 08:07 PM
Demos LotharGR Old Suggestions 12 10-04-2008 11:54 AM
Settlers 2 With No Com Ports markus Troubleshooting 3 29-08-2006 04:24 AM
Demos Yamcha Old Suggestions 62 20-11-2004 04:24 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 07:13 PM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.