Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #31
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

If you play in real life it also depends a bit on your luck with throwing dice. I don't know why, but I've noticed that with this game if you have a much larger number of soldiers in a territory you will also have more luck with throwing dice. If you have more then twice the number of soldiers the opponent has (18 - 9) you will probably only loose a few soldiers - 3 or 4. But if you have about the same number of soldiers you'll probably loose (9-8 soldiers and you will loose all 9). I guess it's something with the randomness of the dice (could be wrong though).

When it comes to the strategy though, it helps to be able to spread over a vast teritory, for you will get more soldiers next time around and there's a smaller chance that all of the territories you'll win will be recaptured by another army.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #32
Tiberius

Thank you, I think I understand much better now. It's almost the total opposite of what I have always done(build borders and expand patiently), I guess that's why it has been so hard for me to comprehend. I'm going to play a couple games today and see if I can get it mastered.
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius
Old 20-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #33
Tiberius

Quick question: Is this game safe to be playing outside of DOSBox? It hasn't frozen up while I play, but when I shutdown it doesn't exit out and I have to use ctrl-alt-delete.
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius
Old 20-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #34
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

It's safe to play, but yes, there is the exit problem. To be honest, I'm not sure what the direct exit command should do - it does say SHUTDOWN and I'm guessing Windows won't accept that command, so they just ignore it. Pressing the flying window, or ctrl+alt+delete exits it just fine and there are no problems.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 15-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #35
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

"Band of war brothers", some juice or maybe beer, one room with large table for 6 people and one copy of Risk board game...that is all you need!

On computer I prefer "Risk II" which is very good, also Same-Time-Risk is a nice refreshment if you get little bored of normal mode!

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 25-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #36
F_LeRoy

Angry A lil Help....

I got the game working (ega graphics), select keyboard & gives me the lil sword icon on the map. I can move it around, but how do I select an option ? I have pressed all the buttons, but nothing seems to work.......losing my mind.Nevermind, i got it...............

Last edited by F_LeRoy; 27-04-2009 at 09:35 PM.
F_LeRoy is offline                         Send a private message to F_LeRoy
Old 26-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #37
MonsignorGabriel

Excellent adaptation of the game, but it's definitely more exciting to play with friends.
MonsignorGabriel is offline                         Send a private message to MonsignorGabriel
Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #38
Rich Nagel

Lightbulb The real Risk for DOS manual :)

Folks,

It appears that the link for the PDF manual for this game is actually for the Windows 3.x version of the game.

Note that the Windows 3.x version of the game is a TOTALLY different animal... not even coded by the same developers, and IM(Not So)HO completely inferior to the DOS version of the game (the DOS version covers EVERY variation of the board game from that era, and the GUI is a LOT more intuitive).

Anyhow, here is a text version of the correct manual for the DOS version of this game -> http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1354 Note that the manual covers the IBM PC (DOS) version of the game, as well as the Amiga and Atari versions of the game (the same developers created identical ports for them).

Heh, I actually recently purchased the DOS version from Amazon.. the product box, paperwork (including warranty registration card, and a Virgin game catalog from the era), game manual, and 5-/14" floppies were in mint condition (the floppies were even readable and error free).

Last edited by Rich Nagel; 02-05-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Rich Nagel is offline                         Send a private message to Rich Nagel
Old 02-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #39
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Nagel View Post
Anyhow, here is a text version of the correct manual for the DOS version of this game -> http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1354 Note that the manual covers the IBM PC (DOS) version of the game, as well as the Amiga and Atari versions of the game (the same developers created identical ports for them).

Heh, I actually recently purchased the DOS version from Amazon.. the product box, paperwork (including warranty registration card, and a Virgin game catalog from the era), game manual, and 5-/14" floppies were in mint condition (the floppies were even readable and error free).
WOW! Can you scan everything everything everything
Box, paperwork, manual (is it exactly same as on lemonaiga), even floppies can be scanned in scanner. And if they work as you say, you can create floppy images. We accept and provide everything as extras.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 02-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #40
Rich Nagel

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
WOW! Can you scan everything everything everything
Box, paperwork, manual (is it exactly same as on lemonaiga), even floppies can be scanned in scanner. And if they work as you say, you can create floppy images. We accept and provide everything as extras.
I would be more than happy to scan everything, but currently my HP All-In-One is on the fritz

And yes, that text format version of the manual over at Lemon Amiga is exactly the same, word for word.
Rich Nagel is offline                         Send a private message to Rich Nagel