Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Scatty
Treasure hunter

What do you mean, you couldn't speak to them properly? They didn't talk with you? It's usually best if you select the WarWizard (I) to talk to people, some mercenaries in your party could, for example, only speak Halfling and therefore couldn't talk with human NPC's. Maybe you had one such mercenary selected for talking.
Usually both rulers of a city have some interesting hints to say. It doesn't matter as much though if they for some reason don't, it's only hints about something you can find out in dungeouns for yourself, anyway. And yes, you should be able to complete the game without talking to anyone, as long as you know what you have to do. Keys are important for special doors or chests, but can be dropped after they've been used. Better stash them all in one chest somewhere, though, to find them again if necessary.

Are you playing the game in DosBox? If yes, which version, 0.74? Did you follow the advise about saving games in my first post in this thread? When you save the game, you should do it alternately in different slot than you saved before, i. e. you saved in slot 1 before, later save in slot 2, and sometime later when you need to save again do it in slot 1.
If you save all the time in only 1 slot repeatedly, the game doesn't save everything entirely in that savegame slot, and if you load a game after that, bugs and crashes might appear. I'm not sure exactly why the game behaves like this, but I think it has to do with the caching DosBox (or maybe Windows itself on lower level) does, as it had the same issues back then in Ms-Dos when Smartdrive (a caching program) was loaded.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 14-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
rayres2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
What do you mean, you couldn't speak to them properly? They didn't talk with you? It's usually best if you select the WarWizard (I) to talk to people, some mercenaries in your party could, for example, only speak Halfling and therefore couldn't talk with human NPC's. Maybe you had one such mercenary selected for talking.
Usually both rulers of a city have some interesting hints to say. It doesn't matter as much though if they for some reason don't, it's only hints about something you can find out in dungeouns for yourself, anyway. And yes, you should be able to complete the game without talking to anyone, as long as you know what you have to do. Keys are important for special doors or chests, but can be dropped after they've been used. Better stash them all in one chest somewhere, though, to find them again if necessary.

Are you playing the game in DosBox? If yes, which version, 0.74? Did you follow the advise about saving games in my first post in this thread? When you save the game, you should do it alternately in different slot than you saved before, i. e. you saved in slot 1 before, later save in slot 2, and sometime later when you need to save again do it in slot 1.
If you save all the time in only 1 slot repeatedly, the game doesn't save everything entirely in that savegame slot, and if you load a game after that, bugs and crashes might appear. I'm not sure exactly why the game behaves like this, but I think it has to do with the caching DosBox (or maybe Windows itself on lower level) does, as it had the same issues back then in Ms-Dos when Smartdrive (a caching program) was loaded.
Thanks for the reply. I am playing in DosBox .74. I save in multiple save slots and then backup the game. I think I might have saved in the same file twice in a row before and THEN saved in the second slot. I am not sure, and I will try not to do that. I couldn't get the Duke or Duchess to say anything other than "Hail Traveller." I reloaded and then the Duke would give me a hint BUT not the Duchess.

I got a fresh copy of the game in a separate directory and started a new game as a test. I set random encounters to none and then travelled to Calorman's Keep. The Duke gave me a hint but the Duchess just says, "Hail, Traveller." Maybe I should talk to her later?

Thanks.

Rob

Last edited by rayres2007; 14-08-2013 at 09:36 PM.
rayres2007 is offline                         Send a private message to rayres2007
Old 14-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Ah yes, the Duchess in this city doesn't have anything interesting to say indeed. This won't change.
If you still encounter problems with the game in DosBox 0.74, you might want to try it in DosBox 0.73. I didn't have any problems with the game in the latter version (minding the savegame tactic), but didn't play it yet in 0.74.

Btw., Charisma only affects the willingness of stronger mercenaries, especially in later areas further into the game, to join you.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #14
Unregistered19999
Default cant find warwizard shield

heya. there is a cave where you are supposed to find the warwizard shield. but after clearing the cave and kill the mountain giant, i cant find the shield anywhere. anyone has any idea where it is?