Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-05-2005, 12:50 AM   #151
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Thanks Tom Henrik for the clarification.

Answer to my own question: I guess I did meet Vorador, except that it happened in the movie, 'cause he showed up to fight Malek while I fought Bain and Dejoule.

By the way, usually after 10 or 15 minutes playing the game, the mouse cursor disappears. My mouse is working fine with other games, I checked by playing Dungeon Siege for one hour and Star Wars Jedi Academy for another hour. Also when I return to desktop (Alt + Tab) while playing Blood Omen, the mouse is working fine. So I figure the problem is with Blood Omen. Not a showstopper of course, but a little bit annoying nevertheless. Anybody else experiences this?
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #152
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I've had the same problem with the disappearing mouse cursor. The only "solution" I found was to alt+tab, just like you did.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #153
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by DEATH KNIGHT@May 3 2005, 04:35 PM
does anyone know what to do when u get that wolf spell?
I don't know if this part comes immediately after acquiring the wolf form spell, but in any case very soon after that you'll find a path bordered with cliffs, guarded by a few wolves. Use the wolf form to be able to jump onto those cliffs.
Basically, try to see on which heights you can jump in wolf form, and explore any cliffs you can jump onto.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 AM   #154
rabadi

Pheew... 182 save files and I finally finished the game. I could have easily doubled or even trippled the number of the save files, were not for the fact that I could not save at any place anytime. The lack of save at anytime feature is also confusing if I did not play it continuously. If I had chosen to play it only a couple of hours one week, and continue again a couple of hours the week after, I would have forgotten my progress since I usually had to backtrack to the saving altar.

The graphics are quite nice for the year 1997. I read a review somewhere that criticized Blood Omen for outdated graphics. I disagree. I have seen games from 1997 with much worst graphics. I think Blood Omen graphics are actually quite good.

The sound, especially Kain's voice over, is excellent. I however have a complaint I already mentioned in earlier post, which is the lack of subtitles. Those who do not have a sound card, those who want to turn off the sound, those who have hearing impairment, those who prefer to read text, and those whose native language is not English (like me) might get annoyed by the lack of subtitles. Especially since sometimes Kain talked when he stepped on a vista marker while also fighting monsters and enemies around him. It's rather hard to concentrate on what he was talking about when I had to focus on keeping Kain alive from the monsters' attack around him. Nevertheless, Kain's voice over is trully an excellent thing in this game.

The combat system is flawed, as mentioned in the review. I could just stand at a certain angle (without fighting back) and not get hurt while two enemies in front of me continuously hacked and slashed at me.

The monsters respawned, but rather than being randomly respawned, they actually just *resurrected*, 'cause I faced the same bunch again and again. On one hand, it is good, giving you endless opportunity to continuously hack and slash and cast spells. You will also get renewable supplies for blood sucking. It probably also increases your prestige/level although I am ignorant on how Kain gained levels since there was no notification when he did. On the other hand, respawning monsters feature takes away the sense of clearing-the-area-from-monsters. It also gets repetitive and boring for me after a while. So I usually just turned Kain's form into a wolf so that he could run faster through the area he just *cleared*.

The replayability of this game is quite high, especially with 100 secrets lying around to collect. I think this feature might compel gamers to replay it again and again if they could not get all the secret at the first time. I, however, was not compelled enough, and I did not have the patience nor the time for replay, so I just grabbed a walkthrough and got all those 100 secrets at one play.

I found another annoying thing, which is the moon cave. The moon cave only opened during the full moon. Miss that time, and you have to wait until the next full moon before you can enter the cave, unless there is a backdoor secret entrance to that cave. I think this unnecessarily lengthens the gameplay. With my 182 save files, I spent almost 80 *game days*, of which 20 or 30 *game days* of them I actually just spent waiting or wandering aimlessly until the next full moon time.

Due to the missing videos, I was uncertain at some places, just like when I was supposed to meet Vorador.

I noticed at certain level (I think when Kain reached Overlord title) the blood vials did not increase his blood level anymore. I don't know if this is how the game is designed, or if it is a bug. I also already mentioned the problem with the mouse cursor disappearing.

Overall, I'll rate this game 3 out of 5.

Well, time to move on to play Lands of Lore.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #155
zef.

For everyone having problems running the game (wont get past tavern keepers first sentance but he keeps walking). The problem is that we have decent CPU's. Unlike the rest of these peons who not only game in the past but have computer systems that BELONG in the past, we have modern systems and like to play MODERN games as well.

"press the windows key" it doesnt work. "you have to press it multiple times!" .... *dirty word* muppet.

Get a cpu slowdown utility like cpukiller3 I found 50% to work best on my AMD64 3200+. A good guide is the speed at which you are able to reliably alt-tab the game (start at 30% slowdown and work your way up till the game runs as smooth as possible whilst maintaining alt-tab ability).

Note: if the game takes ages for the screen to brighten at the start the cpu is either well to slow or not slow enough.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #156
zef.

hrmm just noticed cpukiller has an auto 20min timeout. which means your game will die midst play crashing the system. no good. time to find a true free slower downerer.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #157

Ok found a much better utility: Turbo scroll down and find 'Turbo'. doesnt even require installation. Ran the game ALOT faster than Cpukiller or a host of others would (50% worked a treat).

Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 AM   #158
hessekopp
Abandonia nerd

Brilliant!!! if you wanna enjoy the hole game, just get the playstation 1 version! very great game!!!! never wanna miss it! k:
hessekopp is offline                         Send a private message to hessekopp
Old 19-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #159
Malice Mizer

I'm lucky enough to own the PSone version of this game and would be happy to type up the manual and transcribe the cutscenes for you guys if you'd like, unless anyone can tell me if it's possible to rip the FMV from the disc somehow, then I could send then, anyway, let me know.
Malice Mizer is offline                         Send a private message to Malice Mizer
Old 20-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #160
rabadi

Quote:
Originally posted by zef.@May 10 2005, 07:38 PM
For everyone having problems running the game (wont get past tavern keepers first sentance but he keeps walking). The problem is that we have decent CPU's. Unlike the rest of these peons who not only game in the past but have computer systems that BELONG in the past, we have modern systems and like to play MODERN games as well.

"press the windows key" it doesnt work. "you have to press it multiple times!" .... *dirty word* muppet.
Nope, it did not happen like that to me, at least not in my case. I tried the game in a computer with Win2K and it stopped after the bartender's/tavern keeper's first sentence. However when I tried in another (better and faster) computer with WinXP, the problem did not occur.

EDIT: edited for typos.