Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Should it?
Yes 10 55.56%
No 7 38.89%
I love horses 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-07-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Ok, if this turns into a flame fest, I'm sorry. Didn't mean it to be,

Ok....I was just thinking but...should "free" music distribution be legal? I don't mean distribution where you can go and download any song regardless of wheter you pay for it, I mean like "song emulation" for example, supposedly, at least what I've heard, (tell me if I'm wrong) emulation is actually legal because everybody is entitled to a back up copy of a game, so if your able to download some old Nintendo game because your entitled to a back up copy, why can't you do the same with music? Furthermore, emulation lets you play video games that other wise might not work, for example say your old Dreamcast breaks down, and you can't play any of your old, favorite games because Dreamcasts are no longer sold, the same could be said with music, although not as much, I don't know about you, but I still have some old records sitting around with songs that I like, and it would be nice to convert them to MP3 format so I could listen to them on my MP3 player, but my Record player doesn't hook up to my computer, and players are hard to find, because lets face it, records are old and outdated. But, you still paid for the songs right?
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 17-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah, but it's not too hard to attach a record player to the line in on your soundcard which should let you record them with the right software. As for making backups, what's that got to do with distribution? I have all my CDs on the PC and my mp3 player which is entirely legal, but if i were to distribute them that'd be illegal, same as if i were to copy the CDs and pass them on.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 17-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

no it would destroy bands and make metallica really angry LOL
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 17-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well...
Theoretically some laws actually allow that already. If you hook your radio to the computer (or listen to an online radio station) you are able to make a recording of the song you hear. Basically there is no constant copyright warning on the stuff that's freely distributed (by mass media). So if you'd record something off a radio and then put it up for download that would be border line legal (depends on a country).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

Seb is right.

NO.

I'm not going to go into WHY.
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 17-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
omg
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Jul 17 2005, 05:20 AM
but my Record player doesn't hook up to my computer, and players are hard to find, because lets face it, records are old and outdated.
strange. clearly no one has told technics or vestax that little gem of wisdom.
or the record shop owners either. or the people responsible for hmvs vinyl section.....
or for that matter the fact that spectral analasis shows vinyl to have a richer bass end. (just it loses it a bit as the record ages)

as for making backups of your records, nice and easy. even a bog standered soundcard has an audio in, just get a twin phono to minijack lead and woohoo. there is freeware out there that will enable you to remove any static crackle noises. although one problem is the lack of phono premap on your average pc soundcard. however creative do a cool little usb thang which is just a phono in with a phono preamp. willset u back 20-30 bucks. +comes with all the recording and restoration software you will need.
another way is to plug your record player into a graphic eq, or use the aux out from your stereo. or use a mixer. if your stereo has an aux out and its a good clean sounding stereo use that rather than plugging straight into your pc and joy shall be yours. also use a clean eq setting when recording. some old records i pitch up a tiny bit on my deck just to make em sound sharper. but thats a case of preference i guess.
as for should emulations be legal, erm, what?
a midi file of an old classical arrangement is legal. an mp3 of a modern recording is not.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 17-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

MP3 is free. You just have to find it. The thing is many people finds it nowdays. I'm not the one downloading copyrighted music, but there are thousands of mp3 pages I know with free download.
Copyrighted music should stay copyrighted with no download at all(Exept for paypay or creditcard buying). I only download theme musics wich are free and record songs from radio(I have radio tuner in my comp). Why break the law when radio stations play cool music k: I like FM4 here. It's an Austian radio station with english and german programs playing alternative and instrumental music.

So all in all, no need for downloading k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 17-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

There is a huge amount of music that is legally free. Just one source is www.download.com and go to the section MUSIC. There, by genre, you can find perhaps thousands songs or more. I know I have.

BTW, I am thinking of phasing out mp3s. They are now asking developers to get paid to rip into that format. I am already using OGG, so I guess I will switch to that completely, slowly.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 19-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Dillon
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle View Post
Ok, if this turns into a flame fest, I'm sorry. Didn't mean it to be,

Ok....I was just thinking but...should "free" music distribution be legal? I don't mean distribution where you can go and download any song regardless of wheter you pay for it, I mean like "song emulation" for example, supposedly, at least what I've heard, (tell me if I'm wrong) emulation is actually legal because everybody is entitled to a back up copy of a game, so if your able to download some old Nintendo game because your entitled to a back up copy, why can't you do the same with music? Furthermore, emulation lets you play video games that other wise might not work, for example say your old Dreamcast breaks down, and you can't play any of your old, favorite games because Dreamcasts are no longer sold, the same could be said with music, although not as much, I don't know about you, but I still have some old records sitting around with songs that I like, and it would be nice to convert them to MP3 format so I could listen to them on my MP3 player, but my Record player doesn't hook up to my computer, and players are hard to find, because lets face it, records are old and outdated. But, you still paid for the songs right?
Interestingly enough, finding a good record player for less than 500 dollars now is slightly easier than finding a decent CD player.
Dillon is offline                         Send a private message to Dillon
Old 19-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You must have dug really hard for this thread, it's 6 years old

Please try not to necro post in the future