Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In HoMM III you had a experience cap for every hero. When you reached the cap (taking for granted you didn't need the power of the high level hero, which was almost all the time because of items) you simply backtracked until the next higher hero caught back and transferred the units/items to the new hero. You knew in advance at the start of the level how many heroes you could bring with you on the next level (they were always the higher level heroes, you could not choose them) so you could plan in advance what you would do in the end. So, forcing the player to have only one or two heroes to keep with him for the next levels without a cap in experience is not really what I'd welcome like a good change, nor do I consider that HoMM III "started it"...

From your explanation on your last post nothing ever changed from the basic principle except that you can now recruit new units anywhere. It is exactly how I pictured it the first time it was mentioned.
Old 21-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
Pex
Game Wizzard

I believe that HoM&M3 started it by allowing to transfer heroes from mission to mission. And in case of some campaigns, like Catharine's for example in the original game, she was the hero you had to take to the next mission. Although the whole concept of moving heroes to the next mission was great, since it allowed missions to increase in difficulty, what I didn't like about HoM&M3 was that although I could finish most of the missions quickly enough, I had to wait for all my heroes that I could transfer to the next mission to reach the cap. Because, if I didn't, the next mission would become too difficult. And sometimes there wasn't enough exp in the mission to do that either.

I don't know if there is a level cap in HoM&M6 - I haven't reached it in the tutorial campagin, and I haven't finished the first mission in the campaign I'm playing now either. I didn't mention that there wasn't a cap - maybe someone else did.

Parts 4 and 5 also had level caps for heroes in different missions through the campaign. The only difference (in that regard, there were other differences of course) was that every campaign had the main hero that you had to move to the next mission, although in case of some other campaigns you could move a few others as well.

But the reason I brough all this up was because I didn't understand why would ability to recruit creatures in any city make you have only one main hero? Having only one main hero is consequence of other things and like I said, it didn't start with this game.

Btw, I found the first bug too - once you hire a new hero, you can't scroll map anymore. You can still move view using mini map and camera will follow an active hero when they move, but you won't be able to scroll it normally by moving mouse pointer to the edge or using keyboard arrows. And saving game and going to main menu and loading game doesn't fix it. You have to quit the game and restart it.

Last edited by Pex; 21-11-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: fixing a typo, probably leaving heaps anyway :p
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Old 25-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Pex
Game Wizzard

Just want to add that I've finally finished the first mission and there is a level cap for heroes.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Pex
Game Wizzard

Just some updates on the game. First a couple of things I was wrong about:

- there are 7 different magic schools, not five as I originally thought. But depending on your hero's class, they get only 4 schools available to them + prime that seems to be available to anyone.

- following path of blood or path of tears doesn't limit your choices in different situations - that was just in tutorial when they were trying to make a point. Depending on the points you get in either of this paths, you can upgrade your hero to a subclass and get a bonus. So, although you can technically collect points in both paths, you can ultimately get upgrade bonuses from one path only, so altering your decisions would just prolong the time it takes to reach the upgrade. Saying that, I still sometimes make different choices based on my own preferances...

As for the game, I'm still playing the first campaign and find it quite linear - this is the third mission now and I still wait to get attacked on more than one front.

I also figured out what about this game makes you favour one hero above the others, even more than in previous sequels - the fact that you can convert cities now, which means that all your creatures can belong to the same group, so you won't run out of space in your stacks and you don't have a need for a second hero with heaps of troops from different city type.