Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
futball_luv

I have the original CD of Lords of the Realm 2 but I can't figure out how to make it run on Windows XP. Any suggestions?
futball_luv is offline                         Send a private message to futball_luv
Old 24-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
FreeFreddy

Try to play it in DosBox that you can download off this site in the Programs-section.

Old 14-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Arrow Lords of the Realm 2 Installer

I don't always post in threads of the last decade but when I do, I make sure the game is even older (thx @ MrFlibble for finding this thread in AB's guts)

Since the installation of Lords of the Realm 2 always was a bit of the pain in the ass, I've found something useful for you.
It's an installer for Windows (dunno if it works with Vista and 7, XP Pro 32 is fine)

http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/lords_of_the_realm_2/

In my case the main cd is somewhat broken (it's 14/15 years old after all). But you can install the game from the Siege Pack CD as well. To play the main campaign from the original game, you need to insert the original cd or an image, though.

The installer takes care of the ini which was stored in the C:\Windows folder b4 and which you had to edit to get the game running. It's now stored in the install folder of the game.

Savegames are stored in your User Profile: C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Applications\Sierra\Lords of the Realm 2\

I don't run this game in win95 compatibility mode. Just 640x480 and visual designs deactivated. It runs very stable w/o any problems.

Well there's another thing to add. The installer comes in english language. So it might mix the languages ingame a bit up if you installed from a non-english version of the game. In this case just replace the files (wavs, pl8) with the ones from the original cd.

This should do the trick.

----

For installing the original game w/o the installer, you have to skip the Sierra-tests b4 the installation. You also have to install the game in its standard directory. Dont change it or you can't install the Siege Pack as there's a bug within the setup which prevents doing so.
You also have to fiddle around with the ini a bit but since it's many years ago, I can't tell what you had to change exactly.

It was probably something about the CDROM test and path. But due to the installer it became unnecessary anyways

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 14-09-2011 at 11:59 PM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 15-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeXXL View Post
.... tech stuff ...
That or simply play the equivalent dosversion in dosbox, on the CD there is the Dos ànd W95 version.

My 2 cents ( not meant to diminish your post).

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 20-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

BTW, I think the guys over at the Sierra Help Pages Forums might be interested in this information as well
Old 20-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
That or simply play the equivalent dosversion in dosbox, on the CD there is the Dos ànd W95 version.

My 2 cents ( not meant to diminish your post).
As I fiddled some time with the ini, I didn't even came to think of this option. I'm glad you pointed it out

@MrFlibble: sorry have not much time on my hands. And if they were somehow interested in their old games they had figured it out anyways by themselves in the meantime imo. So no reason to link to them as they don't deserve it
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 11-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Zamo
Default Playing Lords of the Realm 2 multiplayer using DOSBox

Hi
I'm using two windows 7 64 bit computers and had to use DOSBox 0.74 to install and play LotR 2 on them. But when I start the game up there is no option to play multiplayer. Anyone know why or how to make it so i can play multiplayer?

Old 16-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
drag1970
Lurker

Version for WIN XP :

Salut
Vous pouvez jouer aussi avec cette version pour XP sans CD je crois :

http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/lo...80706test5.msi

http://www.angelfire.com/games/cleo/
drag1970 is offline                         Send a private message to drag1970
Old 23-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Tanzer
Default Tanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
BTW, I think the guys over at the Sierra Help Pages Forums might be interested in this information as well
I see by your avatar you like Red Dwarf