Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #11
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
you wouldn't need to translate all the reviews then, just the main one.
That's right, but one of the big strenghts of Abandonia lies in the multi-language-capability. This is the point, which makes the site popular on many link-sites I've seen so far. (That is for german, but I could imagine that this counts for other languages sites as well.) So we should keep our focus on this strengh, which means to translate all contents. This leads to:

Quote:
And increases the work of the translators with an umlimited amount.
Therefore I agree to Flop:

Quote:
The best solution, IMO, would be if someone could enhance the already existing reviews, without changing what it already says (basically just writing exstra stuff in a review). That way both the original writer and the new one would be credited for writing it. Of course this would require some good quality control, as the goal is to increase quality, not quantity.
But there are problems with this method too:

You have to find someone who takes care of these improvements. let's say one for the review + one for each language, as the improvents also have to be translated. The person who is in charge of the improvements has to be notified of lacks in the reviews. Then he has to look them up, occasionally test them out, improve the review, and notify the translators of the changes he made... nice job!

A solution would be to assign the updaters to take care of the games discussion threads, as most suggestions are made within these by guests. They could also change the reviews or notify the reviewers to change them. Then the changes have just to be translated. Still much work (esp. for the old settled updaters). And what about older reviews with the reviewer's retired from the site and the forum? Are they considered as "abandoned"?

You see, quality management is plenty of work...

As a last point you have to remind, that if you want quality AND quantity (more than one review per game) that amount of work grows exponentially. You should consider if all this is worth the benefit of it.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 31-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
taikara
Abandonia Homie

As a member of the Grammar Squad, this idea makes me cry.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 31-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

I 200% agree with Omuletzu!

Let's say Sensible Soccer or Civ 1. IMHO those reviews aren't worth those games. Also some other people said that those reviews aren't that good, so I would love to write my own reviews for that games.
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 31-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

nah...

1 review is enough :not_ok:
Old 31-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Mar 31 2005, 04:57 PM

Let's say Sensible Soccer or Civ 1. IMHO those reviews aren't worth those games. Also some other people said that those reviews aren't that good, so I would love to write my own reviews for that games.
please don't give names, the people in cause might feel offended.Suffice to say some reviews need some tweaking
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 31-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #16
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Omuletzu+Mar 31 2005, 04:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Omuletzu @ Mar 31 2005, 04:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Unknown Hero@Mar 31 2005, 04:57 PM

please don't give names, the people in cause might feel offended.Suffice to say some reviews need some tweaking [/b][/quote]
Kosta reviewed those games! :bleh:
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 31-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Ouch... it was nice knowing you buddy
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 31-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #18
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I was thinking about similar idea, after visiting game spot.

If you don’t know, at their site they have an official game spot review, but users (not all of them, just paid users and the one with level of 6 or higher) can write reviews.

Reader can select if he agree or disagree with review, and if he trust reviewer. Also there is a list of all reviewers with number of the games they reviewed, and number of people who trust their judgment.

I know this would be a lot of programming, and I believe that I might be able to help with some part of it, but something similar to this would be great.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #19
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Mar 31 2005, 03:16 PM
Ouch... it was nice knowing you buddy
hehe

Nice action :whistle:
Old 31-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #20
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Mar 31 2005, 05:31 PM
I was thinking about similar idea, after visiting game spot.

If you don’t know, at their site they have an official game spot review, but users (not all of them, just paid users and the one with level of 6 or higher) can write reviews.

Reader can select if he agree or disagree with review, and if he trust reviewer. Also there is a list of all reviewers with number of the games they reviewed, and number of people who trust their judgment.

I know this would be a lot of programming, and I believe that I might be able to help with some part of it, but something similar to this would be great.
I'm (again) completely for this idea. Sorry Kosta and Maikel, but GET ON WORK! LOL

*goodbye blue sky - I'm dead this time*
Closed Thread