Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
McGroin

If you had a child that showed an interest in video games would you encourage/force that child to play games of the old days? I worry if the next generation of gamers will be spoiled and unappreciative of just how far video games have come in the past 20 years. I doubt it would be this extreme - but could you imagine if there was some 13 year old that had no idea of Super Mario Brothers(the first game), Sonic 1, Bard's Tale, C&C? I dont want to ramble, its just a concern i have.
Those games had a massive impact on my life and I just feel like the youger kids these days are missing out.
Oh yea, and the arcades...too bad those have gone the way of the dinosaur (at least where I'm at)

Old 11-04-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

If they play games, wait until they're at an age where they can appreciate the classics. A 9 year old won't see the value in a Colecovision, but a teen may. ...that, and only show them these things if they express interest. Don't just thrust things upon them.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 11-04-2006, 04:25 AM   #3
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by McGroin@Apr 10 2006, 09:46 PM
If you had a child that showed an interest in video games would you encourage/force that child to play games of the old days?
Would you encourage or force them to watch classic movies? It's rather arrogant to assume that a game you enjoyed rightfully deserves the same degree of respect and admiration of your child, but that's not to say you shouldn't make available the opportunity for them to try them.

Don't force things and remember that if the game is good enough you don't have to force it. I mean, who doesn't like Tetris?
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 11-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #4
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

no worries. because classics have a lot of good freware remakes. e.g. Privateer, jDoom, Ultima Underworld also has some guy working on porting it to openGL and such.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 11-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
McGroin

Quote:
Originally posted by plix+Apr 11 2006, 04:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plix @ Apr 11 2006, 04:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-McGroin@Apr 10 2006, 09:46 PM
If you had a child that showed an interest in video games would you encourage/force that child to play games of the old days?
Would you encourage or force them to watch classic movies? It's rather arrogant to assume that a game you enjoyed rightfully deserves the same degree of respect and admiration of your child, but that's not to say you shouldn't make available the opportunity for them to try them.

Don't force things and remember that if the game is good enough you don't have to force it. I mean, who doesn't like Tetris? [/b][/quote]
Hehe....I didnt mean to sound like fascist.
Just dont want those great games of the past to go underappreciated.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by McGroin@Apr 11 2006, 04:46 AM
but could you imagine if there was some 13 year old that had no idea of Super Mario Brothers(the first game)
From what I recal the Super Mario brothers was only the 4th or the 5th game in the series. There was the Mario Brothers to start with!!!

So do you have enough respect for the oldies?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 11-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm sure that a six-seven years old child could appreciate pong... if it's his first game.

Then you have to make him play to Arkanoid and Invader 1000... and so on...

My young cousin like so much to play with me the old Asterix coin-op
Old 11-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Exactly! They will respect classic games if they get to know them BEFORE games like Oblivion or Quake 4 for instance. If they get Oblivion as their first game, they will just laugh at Pong or Elite, or even Diablo 2 or Duke Nukem 3D, which is unforgivable.

I agree, don't force them to play oldies, just give them the diskette(if you still have a floppy drive that is) and tell them there are great gameS(!) on it. They will surely go and find out Just make sure you don't get them GTA4 before they can appreciate the classics. And still, there are one-of-a-kind games amongst the classics that have no sequels or remakes, like Gangsters, the only mafia strategy game out there so far...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 11-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Well here's my plan: Get a pentium1 pc for 30 bucks on ebay and give it to the kid when he's 5 or 6.
Show him DOS, and he'll be glad. Month for month, give him new games. Teach him how to install them on his suuuuperbig harddrive (800MB) and maybe even play them with him (DOS and Win95 do LAN, you know). When the time has come and the guys at school think his PC is lame, get him a top-of-the-line one.
It worked with me. from when I was 6 to when I was 12, nibbles was my only game on my own PC. A genuine 286 Tandon-SL II. It was the best. All the kids envied me. I was the only one with a computer in first through third grade.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Look, I've had experiance with this (not my own children, but at school).

Kids playing games like Diabolo 2, GTA Vice City, Medal of Honor... really loved at least half of the games on Abandonia.

One of their favorites was Lamborgini Challenge (Crazy Cars 3).

You'd be surprized how unpicky they can be. When one likes it, others will try. And there's always someone who want's to try something un-tryed before.
No mater what games they're used to playing they'll get tired of them and will try to play something else. If they like it - that's it and some of the gems will never die out. This doesn't mean though, that the games you loved as a child will be the ones they'll like. If you liked something like Super Mario Brothers, but the next generation player would prefer something like Life and Death (which you may have hated) doesn't mean they disrespect the classics. It just means they have a different taste!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos