Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Invalid Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Somebodythe5th

Default Hot Wheels World Race [DISNEY]

I don't think this game is abandoned yet but I wanted to make sure.
The game is a racing game called Hot Wheels World Race, it was published in 2003 by THQ.
Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Whe...8video_game%29
http://www.mobygames.com/game/hot-wheels-world-race
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Wor.../dp/B00009ZLJX

I read the request rules before posting which is why I don't think its abandoned yet but I figured I would post and double check.

The main reason I am asking is because when you try to install the game it scans the computer's hardware to make sure it can run.
The problem is that it reports newer CPUs as "Unknown" resulting in it refusing to install.

The only way I know of to get past this is to install it on a computer that it likes, then you can simply copy it to any computer you want (no copy protection lol), which is what I did, and it runs great even on Win7 in 1600x1200 res.

Anyway, I have made lots of videos of it if anyone wants to check them out, in my opinion it is the best Hot Wheels racing game ever. To. This. Day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/somebodythe5th

Last edited by Somebodythe5th; 01-07-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Somebodythe5th is offline                         Send a private message to Somebodythe5th
Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Hot Wheels World Race

[PROTECTED] until 29.11.2018 (THQ)

you're right about that. THQ has a Protection Duration of 15 Years. So you have to wait 5 more years, though once the Protection expire, then we have to check it again for Sold-Status. ^^

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Somebodythe5th

Default Hot Wheels World Race

I asked about this game last year (1/7/2012 to be exact) and confirmed that it was still under THQ copyright. However I would like to know what has happened to THQ's copyrights now that they have gone out of business.
If I read Wikipedia correctly, Nordic Games has gotten all the copyrights that other people didn't buy.

I would assume that they now hold the copyright but they are not listed on the (now out of date) list of protected companies.

So yeah I am asking if its fair game yet, copyright aside it definitely feels abandoned lol.

Last edited by Somebodythe5th; 03-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Somebodythe5th is offline                         Send a private message to Somebodythe5th
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Cluseck
Home Sweet Abandonia

Still sold on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

Besides, even though THQ is gone, Climax Brighton (later renamed Black Rock Studio) was a Disney Interactive Studios' subsidiary, so the game MAY be indefinitely protected. But that's just my guess, what do other members of the staff think about it?
Cluseck is offline                         Send a private message to Cluseck
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Somebodythe5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluseck View Post

Besides, even though THQ is gone, Climax Brighton (later renamed Black Rock Studio) was a Disney Interactive Studios' subsidiary, so the game MAY be indefinitely protected. But that's just my guess, what do other members of the staff think about it?
Hmm they made the game before being acquired by Disney though, and besides they have also been closed down.

I'm aware it's still for sale on amazon.com, as I routinely tell fans of my videos that, but the difficulty in installing it makes it nearly pointless to buy.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluseck View Post

THQ indeed disappeared from ESA-List so this List need to be updated. The game is still sold so we leave it at that.

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
THQ indeed disappeared from ESA-List so this List need to be updated. The game is still sold so we leave it at that.
Actually, one of the developers, Climax (Brighton) Ltd, aka Black Rock Studios, is owned by Disney and, according to Abandonia's ESA List, has unlimited protection. As such...

Hot Wheels World Race - [INVALID] (Disney)

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Regarding some PMs sent out by the OP:
Yes, it might theoretically make more sense to only focus on the publisher and leave the developer alone.
HOWEVER, what we don't know is whether or not the developer retained any rights associated with the game.
Disney didn't "touch" the developer, it has bought and then disbanded the studio, thus any rights and licenses held by the developer now reside with them.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman