punch999
The true Shadow President

Good im glad your happy!
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 15-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #33
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

Cool

I've been seeking this game for years, after reading a review in games magazine. Finally thanks to Abandonia I can now lay my hands on it.
The game is superb, especially these grotesque monsters which die in a juicy fashion. But I have some objections concerning the level of difficulty. To say shortly: this game is goddamn tough. After entering each new area, you find yourself instantly surrounded by blood sucking, vicious monsters which eat muck out of you. It's always -1 coconut/medikit per each new level. And the medical equipment is so hard to come by...

Also I can't get used to the control interface. Turning seems to be a little jumpy, and on lower turning speed settings the mouse tends to lag. Left and right cursor keys are permanently binded as turning controls so it's impossible to strafe with them. The only solution I found comfortable is to keep your CTRL key pressed, which switches your left/right arrows to strafe mode.

My rating: 4

Pros:
- funny grahics
- adventure elements (or so you may call it...)
- juicy deaths
- animated cutscenes

Cons:
- level of difficulty
- creepy controls
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 18-01-2006, 04:36 AM   #34
brett-anderson

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Timpsi+Oct 31 2005, 01:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Timpsi @ Oct 31 2005, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Taskmaster@Oct 31 2005, 04:35 PM
I'd just like to point out that I bought the original copy of this game in the mid-90s. It wasn't innovative even back then, as around the same time games like for example Blake Stone and System Shock were released. The graphics were also some of the worst of the time.
[/b][/quote]

No offence though, I totally agree with you. I was one of those that bought this game too in the late mid-90's and it was definitely wasted money.
It was absolutely horrible to me, a real nightmare to play. I was only sixteen or so at that time and I don't speak english so I thought that one of those goons said "whooaa lumberjacks" instead of "bummer-dude".
That is just the funny part, I couldn't laugh about the rest of it. The gameplay sucked so hard, and enemies overwelm you so quickly that your player's life is drained within seconds and the controls so horrible you could get instant RSI problems.
It was even worser than I thought, I havent seen this game again in 12 years.
It brings back bad memories but I am glad to see that game again (but I am NOT gonna play it) thank you very much because it IS a rare game after all.
brett-anderson is offline                         Send a private message to brett-anderson
Old 03-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #35
SeanG
Lurker

Howdy All!

What a great site and thanks for your comments on Isle of the Dead.

In my eyes, this game was at the end of the era where commercial games could be made locally. Our 2d artist was and still is a fun comic book illustrator, Myk Friedman. We all had great fun with it, doing to voices at 2am into a cassette deck and then copying it to disk, catching the red eye flight out to CES to promote it, etc..

We did it on the budget of 30k advance from the publisher. The next year, Wing Commander III came out with it's 4 million budget, FMV and pro actors. Many of us got offers to go to the west coast. Some did go, but we were also developers for Creative Labs and knew how expense it was to live out there.

Technically, one of the challenges was making in being able to run off the CD. Merit Software had to foresight to know that with the coming of CD's, games were going to save HD space. So on our first game out the door, we had to be able to run the game off the CD, with a small directory installed on the HD for saved games, etc..

As for inspiration, we all loved good cheesy horror flicks and wanted to ensure a fun element was there instead of taking it all too serious. Plus the added bonus was that whacking zombies meant we could never be politically incorrect or offensive to anyone. Some folks were complaining about killer people (and dogs) in Wolfenstein & Spear of Destiny.

It was fun, it was a learning experience and then came ... the internet!

Cheers,

~Sean
SeanG is offline                         Send a private message to SeanG
Old 20-04-2006, 11:39 PM   #36

Hi there!
I would like to Really Thank to the great person that included this incredible game in the stunning page, Abandonia. To those who dislike this Isle of the Dead, an Canalis Analis I am, and might you be right. For the other part of writers in this forum, congrats to them. I enjoy this game, nevertheless there are many others, but, if had sex with a chik, why would I say that the rest are awful? Each one has its own, and played the game many hours(eventhough had not had sex with many girls!).
I'm writing for two reasons. The one, I have said so(Thanks to webmaster!!!), the other, is about the game. Has anyone played it,
1) Where's the fkng RIFLE!!!
2)I'm kind of lost, already drawn maps, and its door, and so on, got to the Oracle and have the Uzi... Any idea? I'm stucked!
3) You are great if played this game!

Of course I have played DOOM, the best game ever released, but, like Isle of the Dead too.

Greetings to all of You!

Old 22-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #37
Brian L. Raney

You must travel clockwise around to the other side of the airplane on the isle of the dead to find the shotgun. Less than half way there is cave which has the rifle. Be careful, however, as the rifle is booby-trapped and rusty. Look around the cave, and you should be able to find all that you need to shine it up like new.

My Question is after you save the girl at the oracle, how do you return back to the compound with the plane before the island blows up? The return path seems blocked!

Old 20-07-2006, 02:11 AM   #38
zombienerd
Lurker

Wow, I am glad to see this finally made the downloadable list

I am the person who initially emailed abandonia with the zip file for review and addition to the abandonware archives!

This copy of Isle of the Dead came from floppy, for those who were wondering.

I agree that it wasn't the best game out at the time, but it held a special place for me, as it was one of the first games I got on my PC.

So flame on, hate me, or love me, but I had to give this gem back to the community

Later,

Adam
zombienerd is offline                         Send a private message to zombienerd
Old 20-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #39
Taskmaster
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zombienerd @ Jul 20 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]244072[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Wow, I am glad to see this finally made the downloadable list

I am the person who initially emailed abandonia with the zip file for review and addition to the abandonware archives!

This copy of Isle of the Dead came from floppy, for those who were wondering.

I agree that it wasn't the best game out at the time, but it held a special place for me, as it was one of the first games I got on my PC.

So flame on, hate me, or love me, but I had to give this gem back to the community

Later,

Adam
[/b]

Actually this game came from GameBringer's archive. He did not review a copy provided by Abandonia. It was from his personal trove of DOS games. However, thanks for taking the time to contribute. Need more folks to do that!

Old 10-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #40
Keldor

I like 90% of the people here have waited YEARS to get a copy of this again!. I bought it when i was 9 years old, with my friend. We saved up for WEEKS and then went half and half. I got to install it first, but he kept the box and game. I remember it being SUPER hard, and even killing the zombies was difficult.

I am so glad i can download it now, and to see that what cost me 58.67 as a kid (oh ya, i still remember the exact cost!) is downloadable in under 60 seconds. It's amazing how far we've come.

I've wanted to play it again (and finish it) for a long time now. It's one of those games I was simply to little to figure out, and now that I am older, should be able to do .... with a walkthrough = ).

I have a few questions though

1. where do i find cheats for it?
2. Where do i find a walkthrough for it?
3. How do i run it, when i go into dos an attempt to run the IOD.bat or Setup.bat, or even directly try the IODex1.exe file, they all give me the same error. "General protection fault, possible illegal address" ... what does that even mean? ....

THANKS!!