Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Nyiraferrox

Default Catching a rainbow / Arcade Game

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a really, really old game I played when I was a kid.

- I'm born in 1985 - so it was probably around 1995? But it could be even older.

- I remember playing it on my dads PC - it was a Windows PC, I guess a Pentium I or II.

- The graphics were really really simple. You had a black window with a rainbow like thingie (it was definately really colorful) moving around in it. It changed in size and when it touched the edge of the window, it rebounded in the other direction.

- With the arrow keys on the keyboard you could draw shapes/boxes and once you had completed a shape/box it became solid and the "rainbow-thingie" rebounded from that as well. Should the "rainbow-thingie" hit you WHILE you were drawing a new shape/box - it killed you.

- So the goal of the game was to make the space the "rainbow thingie" was able to move in smaller and smaller

As a kid I never manged to "win" the game - so I'd love to get another chance

Thanks in advance!

Nyira
Nyiraferrox is offline                         Send a private message to Nyiraferrox
Old 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Nyiraferrox

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CGcQrQMwFA

This looks VERY much alike it... but I remember it somehow more colorful!
Nyiraferrox is offline                         Send a private message to Nyiraferrox
Old 03-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
Bugamn
Abandonia nerd

That game had lots of clones, I remember playing some. I think that without more details it will be hard to find the exact game. Would it reveal an image as the player draws the boxes?
Bugamn is offline                         Send a private message to Bugamn
Old 03-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Nyiraferrox

I think it was on some kind of Magazine CD with loads and loads of other games - so finding the exact version will probably be impossible. And it probably was some kind of Win95/98 version.

I played some Qix on Dosbox now and I think "my version of Qix" had none of these "Fuse" things that also kill you (apart from the Qix). As a kid i often waited for quite some time at one position for teh Qix thingie to go away - and that's definately not possible in the original version.

I also think that the frames of the window were dark green (not grey or black).

Thanks for the help anyway!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Nyiraferrox

And nope - no pictures to reveal!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #6
Bugamn
Abandonia nerd

I'm sorry, I can't know this specific clone. Mobygames has this list of clones, maybe one of them?

Edit: I gave a quick look, and those two seem to be the most promising: Tix and Styx.

Last edited by Bugamn; 04-01-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Bugamn is offline                         Send a private message to Bugamn