Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #41
sparaz
Lurker

yeah eagle i made two new folders called save and saves just in case before i asked, but that didnt seem to work either, what exactly is the name of the save folder you have in your directory?
sparaz is offline                         Send a private message to sparaz
Old 23-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #42
SoniG

if u dont mind.. il write few good tips for all u players...

if u want to be super player dont read this tips cause they are like cheats
if u really want to be better player at shorter time just read this

at the beginig 1st of all equip all ur agent to have both weapons and so on...
i have always at begining one squad of 6 units something like this:
1bomber (bombs and thins... light weapons)
2 psi (for capturing aliens, usaly whit some stun grenades and stun rifle)
1sniper (2 sniper guns whit good acc)
2 normal whit mixed weapons

about vehicles are 2 things:
1st: SELL ground units- maybe they are good but if u got super armored tank... if the road under him is detroyed, tank will be lost or any other units.. or traped
2nd: try to use as many pheonix and hoverbikes as u already say it cause of speed, later sell them and build hawks before u get something heavyer like retaliator or annihalator. us best weapons like:
dont use elerium powered weapons (they are really good, especxialy at begining but use a LOT of ammo and if u lose one ship whit 2 large elerium weapons whit 220 ammo togheter [cant remember name :crazy: ] they willl really drain ur reserves if u rebuild them) and try to use like weapons whit infinity ammo( laser), but never this one shoot rockets, they are good at ground targets only!!! not air, u will miss surly and hit a building cause of arc path and its hight possibilety to coalapse especlialy slums

About base :
NEVER use slums; they can be destroyed whit ONE hit and it will kill al agents and scienits in ur building.try to get warehouse whit biggest room (if u get slums at beggining just restart and it will be diferetn.. or same cause random function)
Plan base smart. u have to thing about later game when u egt big labs whit 2×2 room so u can have all in one warehouse at beging. They are very often attacking base if u have new one. NEVER forget to defend the base. not only whit securety station but whit some good equipt agents. be prepared for coult raids later in game and organizations taken over by alines!!

later in game ul have to get 2 seperate squads of agents on missions, especialy in alien dimension. i usally use 3 teams in alien but 2 well equipt are also enaught (1 team = 6 agents) i recomend always to have a "bomber" at dispose to use it to destroy like walls and thinigs. he is usaly unarmed so protect it. one way iss to use marces flying armor (if u use only marces torso, it will fly even if other armor is from x-com (blue one) or megapol)

Use toxic weapons as soon as posible and devestator canon (the strongest of all agains buldings cause toxic gun is for alines strongest [toxin C])
equip 2 shields in inventory and agents will survive much longer. later use invisibilety

AND never forget about med kits against major injurys!

i thing thats most of it and im sorry about bad spelling :whistle:

if here are any thing that arent true or something like that just say it and i will try to "prove ti"
have a nice day k: ... or night
SoniG is offline                         Send a private message to SoniG
Old 04-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #43
FaceInCrowd

I notice nobody mentioned the "strip-down" technique for victims of Entropy missiles...simple and easy, if you're in real-time and see an Entropy missile heading for you, hit the pause button strip off all your armor, gear and weapons and let your agent take the hit...it will take off some hitpoints but he can at least keep his armor.

If you're playing turn-based though you might not want to do this.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 PM   #44
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I always used to start out the same way - max out the engines in your hovercar and shuttle, dump the smaller things cos they're pants and find some better equipment for your agents (pistols? pah!) based on their attributes (f'rinstance, only give heavy weapons to the cyborgs - they can carry them and don't get brainsuckered either). then i usually go raid the Cult of Sirius' temples a few times to get money and experience while i wait for some aliens to show up. oh, and switch your scientists and engineers for the ones in the pool in order to maximise the total skill available. then get researching whatever you can, starting straightaway with Alien Containment. once you've got that, get a ground-based troop carrier with plenty of space for agents and aliens (and equipment) and put some more useful things on your flying ship (which you should put some better weaponry on straight off.)

oh, and don't use the snipy laser rifle things in turn-based mode unless you have a high accuracy - just use the machine gun. the rifles are better once you get better accuracy and in realtime (i always found, at least.)
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 13-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #45
erinker666
Lurker

Send a message via AIM to erinker666 Send a message via MSN to erinker666

While playing XPOC, I got to a point where I was researching a live brainsucker. When the research finishes, the game asks me to insert the APOC CD.

Anyone seen this and / or know how to get past it?
erinker666 is offline                         Send a private message to erinker666
Old 15-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #46

Random Technical Opinions:

Personal shields take a long time to manufacture, but they are worth it. Use more than one on each soldier for extra protection.
Very nice to have when those Entropies start flying from the mist.

Make sure you mop up all the aliens that land in the buildings of the city. Don't wait until the alarm goes off; observe where the UFO's deploy their mega-bowels and funnel the troops down.

Before a UFO attack, save your game. Then ultraspeed until the UFO's appear and note the time at which they do so.
Now load your game. This time, deploy your combat vehicles before-hand so that you are better prepared to face the threat. Don't do it too early - that will consume more fuel that you might need - and obviously not too late.

When the Brainsuckers come, put all your weapons into auto fire mode and focus fire on the suckers. Experienced agents can take'em in the air like a clay pigeon.

Raid the snot out of the cult buildings. Reap the rewards; among other things the coveted PsiClones - those things usually (initially) sell for over 4000 credits a piece. The cultists are numerous, but have weak armor.
However, sometimes you may face one or two who wield the rocket launcher. This is extremely dangerous - watch out.

Auto Cannon with explosive - or even better (but more dangerous) - incendiary rounds are super-efficient against Hyper Worms in auto fire mode.

If you're feeling lucky, you can hurl enemy grenades back at the enemy. It may explode in your hands, but then again, it might also land right at the enemy's feet. Can you say 0wned-D'oh!

Old 27-03-2005, 03:22 AM   #47
Nuts

After reading through this thread from start to finish it seems a lot of peeps are having un-necessary troubles running APOC in XP. Firstly although DosBox is a useful program it severely eats processor power, and I don't care how tough you think your machine is, it will still eat it. I use a 3.4GHz processor in an Alienware laptop and Dosbox is still using 65% of my processor resources just to tick over. So instead, for APOC anyway, I use XP to run it. Best method is to first install VDM sound if you haven't already, it can be found all over the net, just google it. Then open up your xcom folder and change the compatibility settings on xcomapoc.exe and on setup.exe to windows 95 compatibility, and 256 colours only. Then run setup.exe and choose a soundblaster card, settings as 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1. Save and exit, now to run the game, right click on the xcomapoc.exe file and select "run with VDMS". The intro video messes up but just hit enter or space to skip past it, and the rest of the game runs like a dream. The video's run in DosBox, but the rest of the game was very choppy to me, no matter how much I increased the cycles.

I hope this helps those who still aren't getting to experience this great game. I understand there are a lot of people better versed in X-Com than me as I've only ever played apocalypse, but from this stance, of playing the game as a unit in itself rather than a sequel to the previous games I feel it's a very good addictive game.

Old 30-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #48
Scorstin

how can i get to research toxin C for toxiguns? i did it with A and B and i have researched everything that could possibly be researched (though i still havent visited alien dimension with squaddies, only the probe, could this be the problem?) and i still dont have it available for research. i have examined all the aliens, ufos and weapons that those slimes carry with them on trips to the city and still cant get to the C toxin
help me please!

Old 30-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #49
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hummm, I don't know. In some of my games I never had access to toxin A while in others it seemed like I never got access to toxin C...

All in all, toxin B is powerfull enough for every needs as it is only slightly less powerfull and still have all the advantage of toxin A (and thus, C).
Old 31-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #50

To get Toxin C you have to capture the alien Queen alive. Its really difficult, because it takes dozens gas Grenades to stun her. Also I think you need an empty cell to keep her. When you have her you also get gas-grenades and rockets.