Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #71
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talkie @ Dec 4 2006, 05:01 AM) [snapback]270122[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

For the general public it remains that Catacomb 3D was the first offer, and to this date strangely
obscured by history.

[/b]
well there was a game on Spectrum that was called a lab or something. it was a 3D labyrint. although i think there were only 4 sides you could turn to which made it a bit strange and difficult to navigate sometimes.

anyways the Arx Fatalis is a tribute ot UW. you can even enter the UW mode by using a cheat. the cheat will make the whole screen look like UW. so i the game is missed by some critics, but obviously still has it's place among the older RPG fans.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #72
Saphire
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Dec 4 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]270133[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
anyways the Arx Fatalis is a tribute ot UW. you can even enter the UW mode by using a cheat. the cheat will make the whole screen look like UW. so i the game is missed by some critics, but obviously still has it's place among the older RPG fans.[/b]
Actually Arx Fatalis reminds me more on the game Thief (or Dark Project) than on Ultima Underworld. It's a much more detailled hi-res 3D world and there's absence of music (at least on the burned CD I got from one of my friends earlier ) which provides for a quite dark and sinister atmosphere.
I played Arx Fatalis a little but couldn't quite accept it as a follower of Ultima Underworld series, and it's not the good old Britain with Lord British and Avatar too but a different world and story.
Saphire is offline                         Send a private message to Saphire
Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #73

Gregor,

We're talking two things here:

- fully textured-3d (the walls are designed to imitate reality, you can tell
if it is bricks or wood, or...)

- realtime 3d movement (you can move in every ways you want).

Point And Click, that is way, way older.

Cheers,

Talkie

Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #74

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 5 2006, 03:36 AM) [snapback]270309[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Gregor,

We're talking two things here:

- fully textured-3d (the walls are designed to imitate reality, you can tell
if it is bricks or wood, or...)

- realtime 3d movement (you can move in every ways you want).

Point And Click: that is way, way older.

Cheers,

Talkie
[/b]

Old 05-12-2006, 02:49 AM   #75

Ooops I wanted to edit myself, not quote twice, so feel free admin to delete one of the two posts above and this one. Thanks.

Talkie

Old 05-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #76
Vaikunta
Forum hobbit

About Arx Fatalis...

If you play a bit, I mean a great part of it, you will find some "crossovers" with Uw. It will take a huge time to complete the game, and a lot more without a walkthrough. Just to mention, Tyball and Garamon accidentally released the Slasher of Veils (that was meant to be a kind of boss in the real Ultima 9 game) and something similar to it happened in Arx, that I'm not going to tell you.

Another thing, though not as important, is the use of runes that can be found scattered and they are blue stones with golden inscriptions, very much like uw.

The main quest is not to allow a very powerful being to be released in the world. Another similarity.

The cheat gregor mentioned is like this. "Write" UUW with your mouse when casting a spell that the world will look a bit different.

A noticeable crossover are the Sisters of Edernum in Arx. They resemble the lizardmen in Uw1, although are snakes rather than lizards.

Another thing is in the combat system. There are three types of attack, just like in Uw, but this is enough for now.

Just to make it clear... Uw is far better than Arx for me. I'm just saying it is a honorable honor to Uw, that's all...
Vaikunta is offline                         Send a private message to Vaikunta
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #77
Gambit

This is THE game that finally got me gaming on a PC. Previously I was a Commodore Amiga and C64 fan. Closest to UW on the Amiga, though, was Dungeon Master. While a great game, your steps were still the same 1-unit blocks that we'd been romping through dungeons with since Wizardry I, so the (relatively) smooth action sure appealed to me.

Anyway, my first post on the forums, and I've emailed box scans to Tom for the collection.
Gambit is offline                         Send a private message to Gambit
Old 22-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #78
Guest_Snesmaster_*

can't get the cheats working someone help... says to hit F10 then G maybe i'm just confused...

Old 28-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #79
Guest_Nick_*

:wallbash: I dont know what program to use to install it!!
plz help

Old 29-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #80
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_Nick_* @ Apr 28 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]288766[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
:wallbash: I dont know what program to use to install it!!
plz help
[/b]
You dont need to install it. Just extract the game with Winzip or Winrar and then run it with DosBox (If you have XP that is).

And If you have any troubles with DosBox, check the DosBox tutorial.

BTW. If you have Windows 95/98 instead of XP, then you can run it withouth DosBox.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen