Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #21
Hadai Magis

I've been trying to get The Horde to load for almost 3 weeks now but it says that 1 file is missing and thats VJOY.DLL and it just closed The Horde! Yesterday I got it to load but then mid-way in the game it says VJOY.DLL is missing trying to installtion failed. Plz Help! :help:

Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #22
red_avatar
Administrator

To get this game running under DOSBOX, just edit the dosbox.conf file and find the sound emulation where it says:

type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5

Change sb16 to sbpro1

type=sbpro1
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5

Now save and start DOSBOX - it will work without crashing. Increasing cycles does nothing to help with these crashes since it's just the SB16 emulation that is imperfect.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 13-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #23
unnamed

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac@Mar 22 2005, 11:27 PM
I am having a problem running this game. My compy locks up and makes a very annoying noise everytime I arrive at the screen with the compus and the text: "Klick north twice by razor/(somenameidon'tremember)." I tried running this game from both dos and widows. I have also tried klicking north twice on my keyboard. I am using windows 98 on an older computer that sucks to the extreme. Could someone please give me some suggestions as to what I can do to get this program to work?
I read about some people have problems running this game properly. For me, the best way to run this game was dosbox. However it runs very slowly and influent and eben sticking some times. This problem disappeared after using ROBY dosbox. This is a program wich configures DOSBOX in a more effective way. ROBY does not replace DOSBOX, but makes it faster. Try it!

Old 14-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #24
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by unnamed+Dec 13 2005, 01:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (unnamed @ Dec 13 2005, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mac@Mar 22 2005, 11:27 PM
I am having a problem running this game.* My compy locks up and makes a very annoying noise everytime I arrive at the screen with the compus and the text: "Klick north twice by razor/(somenameidon'tremember)."* I tried running this game from both dos and widows.* I have also tried klicking north twice on my keyboard.* I am using windows 98 on an older computer that sucks to the extreme.* Could someone please give me some suggestions as to what I can do to get this program to work?
I read about some people have problems running this game properly. For me, the best way to run this game was dosbox. However it runs very slowly and influent and eben sticking some times. This problem disappeared after using ROBY dosbox. This is a program wich configures DOSBOX in a more effective way. ROBY does not replace DOSBOX, but makes it faster. Try it! [/b][/quote]
It doesn't make it faster :P People often just don't know how to increase cycles and get stuck with the very low amount of cycles without bothering to read the readme so they don't know they can increase it to 15000 easily on most computers. For me, Roby Box is more a bother since it doesn't have anywhere near enough options, a lot of which are vital to running certain games. Just learn to understand the dosbox.conf and you can run 90% of all DOSBOX games right away.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 14-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #25
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

And don't forget frame skipping. 1 or 2 frames usually won't affect the visuals, while it helps quite a bit in terms of performance.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #26

Hi !

In fact I do not know this game at all but, I wasted too much time trying to find for years the VERY AMUSING introductory "video" where it was explained how the boy becomes "Sir" saving his king. Anybody knows where I can get it ?

Please reply at rogertranchez@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,

Roger

Old 28-03-2006, 05:15 AM   #27
thebeard

I found this game for $5 about 10 years ago and loved playing it on the old 486. I got it running ok in dosbox, but can't remember any controls or anything. I know the manual is in my parents basement somewhere, and if I can ever find it I'll scan and post a pdf. Meanwhile, if anyone can point me to somewhere I can find the manual online, that would be much safer than an expedition into the depths of my parents basement.

Old 27-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #28
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Is there a manual for this anywhere?It's tough getting started. replacementdocs doesn't seem to have one.

.:EDIT:.

Starting to get the hang of it now. I use the mouse for the strategy phase and my joypad for the attack phase and it's generally easier to navigate. This is just not a keyboard game.

if it weren't by Toys for Bob I don't think I'd be trying so hard. But I just have to give these guys the benefit. i owe them that for Star Control 1.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 28-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #29

The tough part imo is when you end up in the desert. Back in the days I didn't pass that stage, and I've never tried since.

Old 19-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #30
guesst
Abandonia Homie

I did it! I won the game! I beat the horde!

The desert was a tough level. This FAQ helped alot. It doesn't seem entirely acurate sometimes, but it helped. The last level was all snow. In the spring I'd call out Rosco and use the flute to clear some snow every year to give my village room to grow. As snow crept into the village I generally ended up being the distructive force more than the horde, but it gave people room to plant. Can't make an omlet and all. The rest of the year I used the flute, put on my running shoes, led the horde away from the village, and killed them with the mega mace. Over and over again. I didn't try planting trees or maintianing cows. And I still got away with over 14k in the end.

This was the coolest part to me:

Being the Toys for Bob freak that I am it's cool to finally see Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III's picture.

Kind of a let down. They're just ordinary looking guys.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst